radio 5 live about doping in cycling 7pm monday

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    when the omerta goes to the top of the uci..........what does that say about the sport, surely the uci need's disbanding and a fresh start needs to be implemented.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Exhausted...Millar for UCI president!!!!! Interesting?
  • MrT wrote:

Mmmmmm...Iain's already not happy at this idea!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MrT wrote:

Neither am I.

Millar is eloquent but very unbalanced.
  • MrT wrote:

Neither am I.

Well, its not going to happen anytime soon - if ever - anyways. Though his swearing is on a Presidential level to be fair.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    MrT wrote:

Neither am I.

He did sort of say as much.

I think I'd like Millar to still play a role in cycling after the conclusion of his career as a rider. But president of the UCI? Don't think so
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited October 2012
    Very shocking to hear it directly from riders.

It does make you wonder how many races have been won clean and when this doping horror show first started, plus when (if) it has ended.

The history shows a shift from a DIY approach by riders themselves to organized regimes by teams and a network of suppliers.

It makes me wonder where this is leading.

In the background there are the pharma companies, the medical equivalents of Monsanto. They aspire to have their products used extensively by the general public, irrevocably embedded in people's lifestyles.

These companies (and their shareholders, if they have any) are the potential winners in the long-term and cycling helps them achieve that aim.

They gamble that the fight against doping will be lost or grind to a halt in apathy and confusion and, ultimately, doping will be legitimized rather than outlawed.

It's a crucial moment – do we want EPO as the Lucozade of pick-me-ups for your average worker, enabling people to endure long work days with multiple-hour commutes? Do you want your kids doing grassroots races on dope?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And very clear inference that the same is happening to a greater or lesser degree in most other sports... And DM stated that at least cycling are facing their demons ...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Do you want your kids doing grassroots races on dope?

No.

But a Fruit Shoot and a bowl of Coco Pops has the same effect....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I'd rather have Millar than Tchmil.
  • rick_chasey
    Is it up yet?
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngqxd

Usually an hour or two before they are available for replay.
  • rick_chasey
    One thing the radio prog could have done is explained how mental you have to be ANYWAY to want to be a pro-cyclist.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, I like how Chappers, when discussing when Hamilton moves to blood transfusions he says "you went on the heavy heavy stuff. I mean EPO is one thing, but blood tranfusions..."

Should tell that to all those dead Dutch cyclist in the '90s..!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Also, I like how Chappers, when discussing when Hamilton moves to blood transfusions he says "you went on the heavy heavy stuff. I mean EPO is one thing, but blood tranfusions..."

That was 20 years ago. No one dies from using EPO these days.

Transfusions are might higher risk, especially when you look at how ghetto-tastic the whole thing seems to be.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah.

Quick question - I remember Vaughters was going on about the phisiological scars he has from doping when he was gassing on the clinic.

Does anyone know what they might be?
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    iainf72 wrote:

That was 20 years ago. No one dies from using EPO these days.

You sure? I cant find a definitive list but these are from 2003-4, 12 months that's fairly recent
    Denis Zanette (Italy)

Died January 11 2003, aged 32

Zanette, right, collapsed after visiting the dentist. Instantly linked to the use of the blood-booster EPO, which led to an outcry in Italy and demands for stricter drug controls.

Marco Ceriani (Italy)

Died May 5, aged 16

An elite amateur, Ceriani experienced a heart attack during a race, was admitted to hospital in a coma, and failed to recover consciousness.

Fabrice Salanson (France)

Died June 3, aged 23

Died of a heart attack in his sleep. Was found by his room mate in their team hotel. Had been about to compete in the Tour of Germany.

Marco Rusconi (Italy)

Died November 14, aged 24

Rusconi was leaving the party of a friend last November when he collapsed and died in a shopping centre car park.

Jose Maria Jimenez (Spain)

Died December 6, aged 32

Died from a heart attack in a psychiatric hospital in Madrid. Had retired two years previously but consistently claimed a comeback was imminent.

Michel Zanoli (Netherlands)

Died December 29, aged 35

Zanoli, who retired in 1997, was 35 when he suffered a fatal heart attack.

Johan Sermon (Belgium)

Died February 15 2004, aged 21

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2004/fe ... g.cycling1
  • In his Pantani book, Matt Rendell certainly writes about links between EPO and deaths of cyclists under 30 in the 90s and early 00s, special reference to pyschological issues.
  • rick_chasey
    Love how French Bassons is in that.

"Puh, c'est la vie" to more or less everything Hamilton says about him.
  • Love how French Bassons is in that.

"Puh, c'est la vie" to more or less everything Hamilton says about him.

Yeah, once Hamilton had it pointed out to him that he was actually showing little in the way of apology to someone like Bassons who not only had been cheated but also driven out of the sport, now I suspect Hamilton is half-expecting a typical Oprah-stylie emotional, all out in the open, apology-forgiveness orgy. ("Tyler, who do you think should be President of the UCI?" Hamilton: "Bassons". Blurgh..)

And all he gets from Bassons is "Puh, c'est la vie"

Bassons - classy in so many respects.
  • rick_chasey
    Classy? Maybe.

Just comes across as very French to me.
  • iainf72
    I just think Bassons doesnt care one way or the other.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Cares enough to go on the radio about it and write articles about it at the time.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Cares enough to go on the radio about it and write articles about it at the time.

Yep, I meant now. Like Friebe likes to point out, don't feel sorry for him, he's fine now. Too well adjusted to be a cyclist anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure. I never have felt particularly sorry for him anyway tbh.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pod available here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lspecials

Not listened yet so I'm keeping Schtum..
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I like Hamilton telling Mark Chapman to pass on his number to HV and PM and telling them to call him

David Millar had a good reposte to this...it was along the lines of, if you really want to influence the sport re anti-doping then you can, you don't need to wait for the UCI to get involved with you...as if anything the USADA or the radio show proved, they lack motivation (to say the least)!

Millar has done good work with WADA...I don't want to say something that isn't true...but has Hamilton?! Has he really been proactive like others outside of his own book publication and the USADA investigation?

It takes bravery to break the Omerta, but once its broken there's so much more he could have/can/should do...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

Phew - I misread this and though a large rock from outer space was about to land on Wimbledon