Non-iron shirts

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Non-iron shirts.

Like these.

Are they worth it? However I fold or roll my shirts when I cycle in they come out pretty creased, save for the odd exception but I can never work out how I did it.

I'm not expecting them to be fit to wear straight out of the washer, but do they crease substantially less in your bag?

And if so, are they actually comfortable to wear? I'm always loathe to wear polyester if I can avoid it, especially in stuff I wear all day.

Does anyone have any experience?

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    You need to go and sit quietly for a minute and think about what you just said.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You can't be that far from a drycleaners at work. Just keep a set there and get them washed and ironed once a week.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    They're fine, I bought another 4 this weekend. You still have to iron them but it does take a bit less time.

As for folding them - Eagle Creek Pack-It Folders
    http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-folde ... 1090_c_211
    Job done.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    You can't be that far from a drycleaners at work. Just keep a set there and get them washed and ironed once a week.

S'a quid a shirt!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    notsoblue wrote:

S'a quid a shirt!
    Still cheaper than using public transport...

Or you could start wearing cardigans over your shirts, that might be another option.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I don't find it a problem at all. I normally wear jeans and a polo shirt though.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    The trick is to wear them, once your body heat warms them up the creases drop out.... well mostly.... I haven't Iron a work shirt in years....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ^^^^^ this is correct. Shirts (and cardigans I expect) become smoother after a bit of wearing. I just give shirts a waft of the iron to get the worst out, but you can avoid creases happening in transport by rolling shirts into loose rolls rather than folding them. I also distinctly remember being told that it's important to have matching collar & cuffs so always give them a proper going over to keep things smart.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yeah, you just hang 'em when they are still very slightly damp.

I lightly fold mine when commuting in and when I'm at work I leave the shirt out for as long as possible while I'm having a shower.

Rarely have a need to iron them tbh.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well the website doesn't work and given that you are even thinner than me, you'll need to go tailored/extra slim fit (don't worry, they won't shrink wrap you - 'slim' fit will be like a tent, especially behind the armpits).

I just bought a white non iron and a white normal one and the non-iron one is still showing creases having taken it out the packet this morning. I wouldn't say it feels particularly 'premium' compared to normal shirts I have (the Hawes/Curtis white shirt I have is luxury, by comparison), but certainly isn't giving my skin any complaints.

I presume you got the Groupon? Go and try some on.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i fold them in a special way, but cant find the youtube video of how to do it though.

there are things to put shirts in that i havent tried yet that hold them in a good, crease free state
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    spasypaddy wrote:
    there are things to put shirts in that i havent tried yet that hold them in a good, crease free state
    Women?
  • rick_chasey
    coriordan wrote:
    Well the website doesn't work and given that you are even thinner than me, you'll need to go tailored/extra slim fit (don't worry, they won't shrink wrap you - 'slim' fit will be like a tent, especially behind the armpits).

I just bought a white non iron and a white normal one and the non-iron one is still showing creases having taken it out the packet this morning. I wouldn't say it feels particularly 'premium' compared to normal shirts I have (the Hawes/Curtis white shirt I have is luxury, by comparison), but certainly isn't giving my skin any complaints.

I presume you got the Groupon? Go and try some on.

I'm familiar with shirt sizing. Super slim tailored or something still makes me look like someing out of an early '90s friends episode.

Guy at my now ex-work had one and looked quite smart. Just seeing whether he's on to something.
  • Anonymous
    What could look smart about a non-ironed shirt? Crease down the sleeves, boy.

A friend of mine was pulled aside by his boss, wearing a non-iron shirt and he said
    "NEVER come in to work again having not ironed your shirt"

Make of it what you will, but I'd always iron it (unless brand new, or it was still ironed from a prior PT day)
  • rick_chasey
    I was always planning to iron it, regardless of whether it was non-iron or not.

I just wondered how much better it'd fair at the other end of my commute by bike.

I don't like spending the first hour of the day with a creased shirt > despite the fact I've ironed it that morning.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    They are great, best "non iron" shirts I've tried.
    they are 100% cotton - they just have some treatment done to them. Yes you need to iron them but then just roll* them into your bag every morning and they come out fine at work.

*lay shirt on floor / bed and fasten top button, fold arms in, then fold over again on a line with the shoulder darts. you should now have long hing strip of shirt. Place tie & clean socks / boxers on bottom of shirt then roll from bottom upto collar.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    edited October 2012
    I have a couple from the States (American Eagle brand) which are fabulous (but seriously expensive) but find the M&S ones excellent and reasonably priced. I no longer iron shirts.

Caveat however - take 'em off the line and hang them up on coat-hangers and they are crease free, that is the non-iron bit. Scrunch 'em up in a bag and they will crease almost as badly as a normal shirt.

As for arm creases? Get a grip.

A) I'm wearing a suit.
    B) If you put on a suit jacket in the morning with ironed creases in your shirt sleeves then they aren't properly there in a couple of hours anyway.

Good shirt + good suit + nice tie - who in blazes is going to mark you down for no creases in the sleeves? (And if they do, feck 'em)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    SimonAH wrote:
    find the M&S ones excellent and reasonably priced

Plus, with the skillful use of a handful of fallen branches, the slim-fit ones make an excellent scout tent, in a pinch.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Have 8-9 charles tyrwhitt shirts, fantastic. Not touched an iron in years. The casual non-iron ones are also really good. They deal with getting folded down in my saddle bag and come out fine.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    vermin wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    find the M&S ones excellent and reasonably priced

Plus, with the skillful use of a handful of fallen branches, the slim-fit ones make an excellent scout tent, in a pinch.

hmmmm, is this a reference to my girth, as I find the fit fine? :-)

Truthfully I like a loose cut shirt - may not be au courant, but then I am a middle aged bloke with grey in't beard..
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    Like I said, I'm still going to iron the buggers. I just don't want them to crease up like mother teresa's face by the time I get to work.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I bring a shirt into work in my backpack every morning and its never creased. Just fold it down the middlealong the placket, arms together, fold arms across the body of the shirt again, fold in half (top to bottom) then in half again - again top to bottom. The trick is to fold it gently, then put it in a real cheapo carrier bag (Tesco and Sainsburys the best) - I'm sure the static does something to prevent creases. Pop in backpack with all my other stuff but try not to squash it too much, when I put it on at the other end of the commute it always looks fine. As I type this I still have perfect creases along my arms!
  • dhope
    I already gave you your solution :)

Eagle Creek Pack-It folder.
    Been using one for 2 years - great thing. Basically a fabric folder with a bit of plastic inside. You fold the shirt up with plastic inside, pop it into the folder and it's sorted for when you get to work.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    I shall get that and stick with my cotton shirts then.

Figured new job, new shirts.
  • Anonymous
    Rick - the non iron shirts are fine for work. Look normal.

Not sure about all this crazy folding malarky, I still shop fold mine and get a square patch on the front like a fucking tellytubby. Can someone youtube a link? No i'm not buying a 30 quid shirt folder
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I wear a jumper over my shirts. My shirts are never ironed.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dhope
    coriordan wrote:
    No i'm not buying a 30 quid shirt folder
    Think of it as a 30 quid jersey folder. Sure, you might not fold a jersey but now it's bike related then anything for 30 quid sounds like a bargain.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,314
    Last week I'd I was seeing ads for shaving.

Now it's ads for people trying to sell me red trousers.

I blame you Rick.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!