Genuine question for Frenchie

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Given that :
- Doping was institutional on ONCE/Liberty Seguros until 2006 (Contador was there 2003 - 2006)
- Doping on Discovery was institutional until at least 2007 and probably beyond (Contador was there from 2007 - 2010)
- That Marti was central to all doping operations and was Contador's personal "coach" until recently (at least 2011)
- That Contador has a positive clen test and indications of blood doping from the 2010 Tour

Do you really believe that Contador is clean not just another pharmacological product?

Genuine question. I do not want this to turn into a Frenchie bashing session.
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Jee wiz, can of worms here so I will keep it short.

Well the answer is no.

He was young and not a key member of those team first two teams and had no unbelievable results in that period.

He was not there under Lance and that pressure. As you know, lots of riders stopped doping in 2006ish. Stuff got a lot harder to get away with.

He has proven to be extremely strong mentally so I believe he could have been one of those that refused it, had he been offered. Lets not discount his brain condition either which it is not far fetched to say would lead him to be extremely careful with his health.

Ironically he started getting GT results after the doping era. That should ring bells to you that he was one of the ones that benefited from the cleaner sport.

Don't you think that he would have had someone tarnish him. There are loads of people out there who might have a reason to do so. None have. No one has in the docs that have come out too.

He always performed on the highest level, and even now, he is the World's best. And if I was to take a hypothetical view that he was doping before, I find it extremely difficult to believe he doped for the Vuelta. His performances are believable and consistent over years and within any given year.

Everything points to him being a very nice guy, very well respected by his colleagues and I haven't heard anyone bad mouthing him or saying he was doped.

Re the 2010 issue, that has been done to death so I am not stating my view on that again. He could even have been spiked...with the Frank Schleck case, I don't see that as totally unbelievable.

I reckon I will hold this view unless he comes out and says it himself or there is irrefutable proof.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    Ironically he started getting GT results after the doping era. That should ring bells to you that he was one of the ones that benefited from the cleaner sport.

I think that too. The level of performance whilst doping became so high it was unattainable 'sober'. That we know. If you look at results of the past year (on uber hi-tech carbon whizz machines) and then look at the results of say 10 years back on supposedly heavier, metal bikes (cept rabobank), the times today are slower. Thus clean talent rises up again.

I hope I am not being sucked into a bubble of naivety again.
  • timoid.

Well the answer is no.

He was young and not a key member of those team first two teams and had no unbelievable results in that period.
    He was not there under Lance and that pressure. As you know, lots of riders stopped doping in 2006ish. Stuff got a lot harder to get away with.

He has proven to be extremely strong mentally so I believe he could have been one of those that refused it, had he been offered. Lets not discount his brain condition either which it is not far fetched to say would lead him to be extremely careful with his health.

Don't you think that he would have had someone tarnish him. There are loads of people out there who might have a reason to do so. None have. No one has in the docs that have come out too.

He always performed on the highest level, and even now, he is the World's best. And if I was to take a hypothetical view that he was doping before, I find it extremely difficult to believe he doped for the Vuelta. His performances are believable and consistent over years and within any given year.

Everything points to him being a very nice guy, very well respected by his colleagues and I haven't heard anyone bad mouthing him or saying he was doped.

Re the 2010 issue, that has been done to death so I am not stating my view on that again. He could even have been spiked...with the Frank Schleck case, I don't see that as totally unbelievable.

I reckon I will hold this view unless he comes out and says it himself or there is irrefutable proof.

Do you mean ONCE and LS? Cos he won the Tour for Bruyneel in 07.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah, was referring to the first two.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    Yeah, was referring to the first two.

Ok thanks. FWIW I think you're totally wrong and Contador is as big a fraud as any of them. I just cannot trust anyone who was a leader for a team run by Bruyneel. He would have to be the only one who stood up to Bruyneel in his entire tenure as DS.

I wish he was clean, but I just can't believe that he was. Thanks for the response.
  • frenchfighter
    You're welcome.

Maybe Johan thought his time was up and he should play it safe and continue to make a good living from the sport. Then Lance lured him back.

Don't forget also that Contador won a lot of GT's without him.

Joahn also didn't like him - I remember that he preferred to be with Lance instead of in the DS car with Contador at Paris Nice as one example. There are many more.

As far as I am aware there were no dope incidents at the Disco of Contador's era. There were a lot at Astana, before, during and after Joahn's tenure.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    You're welcome.

Maybe Johan thought his time was up and he should play it safe and continue to make a good living from the sport. Then Lance lured him back.

Don't forget also that Contador won a lot of GT's without him.

Joahn also didn't like him - I remember that he preferred to be with Lance instead of in the DS car with Contador at Paris Nice as one example. There are many more.

As far as I am aware there were no dope incidents at the Disco of Contador's era. There were a lot at Astana, before, during and after Joahn's tenure.

Not according to Leipheimer's sworn affidavit. In paragraphs 80 through 86 he has stated that team wide doping was used.

Read: http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net/Le ... idavit.pdf

Earlier on he names Marti as his dealer whilst at Gerolsteiner
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,180
    Lets not discount his brain condition either which it is not far fetched to say would lead him to be extremely careful with his health..........

I remember when those French people had their nose put out of joint by a Yank coming and winning their race a couple of years running and started what look like spiteful rumours about him my first reaction was "having survived a life threatening illness why would he risk his life?". I've since come to realise that to professional sports people the old cliche of winning being more important than life or death is actually true.
  • frenchfighter
    Got it Timoid. Who is Rider-16 and Other-3 ?

Have you ever seen anything from anyone suggesting Contador was part of this inner circle of people who had come from Lance era US Postal?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    FF - From another useful clinic thread:

Clinic Confirmations:
    Rider 1: Paolo Savoldelli
    Rider 2: Viatcheslav Ekimov/Beltran/Rubiera
    Rider 3: Adriano Baffi
    Rider 4: Bobby Julich
    Rider 5: Manuel Beltran/Ekimov/Rubiera
    Rider 6: Jose Luis Rubiera/Ekimov/Beltran
    Rider 7: Roberto Heras
    Rider 8: Victor Hugo Pena
    Rider 9: Matthew White
    Rider 10: Jose Azevedo/Noval/Padrnos
    Rider 11: Benjamin Noval/Azevedo/Padrnos
    Rider 12: Pavel Padrnos/Azevedo/Noval
    Rider 13: Chann Mcrae
    Rider 14:
    Rider 15: Chris Horner
    Rider 16: Yaroslav Popovych
    Rider 17:
    Rider 18:
    Rider 19: Steffen Kjaergaard

Other 1: Emilio Magni
    Other 2: Bjarne Riis
    Other 3: Duffy ( or #5)
    Other 4:
    Other 5:
    Other 6:
    Other 7: Rick Crawford
    Other 8: Geert Leinders
    Other 16: Lapage or Demol (?)
    Other 17: Andy Rihs
    Other 18: Motoman
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks Art.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FF - From another useful clinic thread:

Clinic Confirmations:
    Rider 14:
    Rider 17:
    Rider 18:

Other 4:
    Other 5:
    Other 6:

Just to be clear, what's meant by 'confirmations'?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Clinic Confirmations:
    Rider 14:
    Rider 17:
    Rider 18:

Other 4:
    Other 5:
    Other 6:

Just to be clear, what's meant by 'confirmations'?

The list from the Clinic where they've determined who the individuals are from clues in the depositions. For example when there is reference to a rider 19 from USPS pulling out on the 2002 Vuelta, a check of the results shows that there 3 and process of elimination of the others - eg they are already explicitly named in USADA docs, leaves that Rider 19 is Kjaergaard. In other cases, they can only narrow it down to 2 or three individuals
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454

Like a failed drug test followed by a doping sanction?

I know you think he is an amazing rider and a nice guy, but he is also a convicted drugs cheat who has now been named in two of the three largest doping busts of recent cycling history. To think he is clean with all the evidence against him is, frankly, ridiculous.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243

Clinic Confirmations:

Very similar (with one or two exceptions) to the list I posted in the main thread which was sourced from a Belgian website but quickly got buried. Here's that list again.

Taken from a Belgian forum:

1 Paolo Savoldelli
    2 Manuel Beltran
    3 Adriano Baffi
    4 Bobby Julich
    5 Jose Luis Rubiera
    6 Pavel Padrnos
    7 Roberto Heras
    8 Victor Hugo Pena
    9 Matthew White
    10 Jose Azevedo
    11 Vyatcheslav Ekimov
    12 Benjamin Noval
    13 Chann McRae
    14 Michael Rasmussen
    15 Chris Horner
    16 Yaroslav Popovych
    17 Marty Jemison?
    18 Dylan Casey
    19 Steffen Kjaergaard
    20 Benoit Joachim
    21 Tony Cruz
    22 =EPO song
  • Pross wrote:
    Lets not discount his brain condition either which it is not far fetched to say would lead him to be extremely careful with his health..........

I remember when those French people had their nose put out of joint by a Yank coming and winning their race a couple of years running and started what look like spiteful rumours about him my first reaction was "having survived a life threatening illness why would he risk his life?". I've since come to realise that to professional sports people the old cliche of winning being more important than life or death is actually true.

I don't go with the whole Bertie has a brain condition so would never take any PEDs. I thought the same about Lance for a while- he's had cancer why put anything into your system that could cause a relapse.

I've always looked at Contador with scepticism
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Timoid. wrote:

If you didn't want to turn it into a Frenchie bashing session then you should have PM'd him rather than making an open post on the forums. Not fair on him and he shouldn't have to defend his views IMHO.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I wouldn't be surprised if a cornered LA and JB take Contador down with them when they go... it would help to muddy the waters a little and spread the pain that they must be feeling.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Timoid. wrote:
    If you didn't want to turn it into a Frenchie bashing session then you should have PM'd him rather than making an open post on the forums. Not fair on him and he shouldn't have to defend his views IMHO.
    I agree with the Hincapie apologist, this was an unfair setup of the Bertie apologist. :roll:
    Come on, we all defend our views, that's what these forums are about. Frenchie is plenty thick skinned enough to deal with this. I can only assume Timoid was being a little naughty here, it's clear from all the posts that like pretty much all of us in life, FF applies different standards to the people he likes and dislikes. I don't think he has a problem with dopers, so long as they're not wearing black socks.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Another genuine question for Frenchie:

Are you actually French? I've always assumed you are - at least partially (one parent at the least)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Haha. My dad is a pure French man. I'm English but have been brought up with French 'way of life'.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm English but have been brought up with French 'way of life'.

Du pain du vin du boursain?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ah no papa?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Timoid. wrote:
    . I just cannot trust anyone who was a leader for a team run by Bruyneel. He would have to be the only one who stood up to Bruyneel in his entire tenure as DS.

You think Boonen was at least on the juice in 2002 then?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Timoid. wrote:
    . I just cannot trust anyone who was a leader for a team run by Bruyneel. He would have to be the only one who stood up to Bruyneel in his entire tenure as DS.
    Boonen was never the leader - Hincapie was. Boonen usurped him at Roubaix.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    prawny wrote:
    I'm English but have been brought up with French 'way of life'.

Du pain du vin du boursain?

Plus ou moins : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    coriordan wrote:
    ah no papa?

Bien sur!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    A clean Boonen would easily smoke doped riders in One Dayers. The guy is a certified heavyweight.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Boonen was never the leader - Hincapie was. Boonen usurped him at Roubaix.

Boonen comes across like a gormless idiot half the time when he's off the bike I know, but I doubt even he didn't know what the deal was....

I try not to think about that bit...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tout à fait?