Alex Dowsett - stupid comments

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    edited October 2012
    well, at first I said FFS when I read the quote on the BBC site (but then when has the BBC ever got anything correct that they write about cycling, I guess)

but I guess this does show why so many riders say nothing - or at least the reason for some of them - and why some teams insist on it

Twitter certainly allows anyone to make a fool of themselves via off the cuff remarks, and it seems some in the sports world - or their girlfriends - are particularly adept.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Also I don't get this 'it is a different sport now to what it was back then' comment.....Armstrong only retired in 2009.
    Worse than that, Armstrong retired in Feb 2011
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Fair enough if he's backtracked. It's easy to land yourself in trouble with a hasty quote. Probably do well to remember that not all pro cyclists view him as anything other than someone in the past given how old they are. They are 'of the moment' and been busy pedalling up mountains while we've been reading internet forums...
  • andyp wrote:
    Cummings doesn't ride for Sky anymore.

Remind me who manages BMC again?

Thats how much of a non-entity Cummings is, I forgot he moved team.

D.Pate has been very vocal last couple of weeks on Anti-Doping issues, wonder what he makes of Yates, Dowsett, Brailsford et al or will he just join the 'I didn't see nothin, Arsmtrong is a legend' line as well now...

Just remind me Steve Cummings

Eddie Soens Memorial Road Race winner
    Junior British National Road Race Champion
    Team Pursuit British National Track Champion
    2nd Team Pursuit Olympic Games 2005
    Team Pursuit Track World Champion
    Team Pursuit, British National Track Champion
    2nd British National Road Race Championships 2006
    1st Team Pursuit 2006 Commonwealth Games
    1st Team Pursuit British National Track Championships
    2nd Trofeo Laigueglia 2008
    1st Stage 2 Giro della Provincia di Reggio Calabria
    1st Coppa Bernocchi
    2nd Overall Tour of Denmark,
    2x Tour of Britain 2nd Overall
    11th Time trial, 2008 Summer Olympics
    1st Stage 3, Volta ao Algarve (With undiagonsed Pnmonia and riding away from Contador like he was a 4th Cat)
    British National Time Trial Championships 2nd Overall,
    4th Overall, Tour of Beijing (After most of the year off with sever injury)
    1st Stage 13, Vuelta a España (After breaking his wrist twice and his pelvis and having a severe stack at the TdF)
    Part of Mark Cavendishes World Title winning team (Can you ride at 400w plus for the amount of time he did)
    Multiple Grand Tour finisher....

We talking about the same bloke...............

How insulting are you, non entity, whats you Palmares?

Also yes Alex Dowsett looked like a plank, but I didnt know he got interviewed on the startline, not the best place, bearing in mind he might have not seen the news with the time delay, but least he has now clarifyied his position, also Steve just meantions the time he met him nothing more or less, I know the bloke personally and if he had an opinion on it, he would have said something, again proberly interveiwed on a start line..
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    prawny wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    He's just clarified what he was trying to say via his twitter account @alexdowsett

You think he did that off his own bat?

Yes.
  • Pretty insulting and frankly dumb to have called Cummings a non-entity. Especially as LL has such strong opinions on British teams and British riders
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't worry,

"He's just off clarifywhat he was trying to say via his twitter account @LL"
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    edited October 2012
    Pretty insulting and frannkly dumb to have called Cummings a non-entity. Especially as LL has such strong opinions on British teams and British riders

Yeah to be fair, heat of the moment. Just an off the cuff remark, plenty of them today from people who know better.

Sorry that I feel completely and utterly let down by the shitesters that should he setting an example on what could have been a day where cycling finally reinvented itself. :roll:

Start line or no start line Dowsett should know better and anyone who thinks the reason he's changed his mind isn't due to the heat hes been getting is as big an idiot as Sean Yates.
  • Pretty insulting and frannkly dumb to have called Cummings a non-entity. Especially as LL has such strong opinions on British teams and British riders

Yeah to be fair, heat of the moment. Just an off the cuff remark, plenty of them today from people who know better.

Sorry that I feel completely and utterly let down by the shitesters that should he setting an example on what could have been a day where cycling finally reinvented itself. :roll:

Start line or no start line Dowsett should no better and anyone who thinks the reason he's changed his mind isn't due to the heat hes been getting as as big an idiot as Sean Yates.

Peace then... :?:
  • LeicesterLad
    edited October 2012
    Pretty insulting and frannkly dumb to have called Cummings a non-entity. Especially as LL has such strong opinions on British teams and British riders

Start line or no start line Dowsett should no better and anyone who thinks the reason he's changed his mind isn't due to the heat hes been getting as as big an idiot as Sean Yates.

Suppose, but still doesn't change my opinion on anybody who wants to come out and say stupid things/continue in denial/be a lance apologist/talk about his stupid charity without acknowledging what a vicious, nasty, fraudulent, disgusting person he is...

7 tour de Frances. 7. A Decade of lies, deceipt, arrogance, of cheating fans and fellow competitors, of ruining a sport people are still trying to claim he has 'done alot for'. He makes me sick.
  • Anonymous
    coriordan wrote:
    Don't worry,

"He's just off clarify what he was trying to say via his twitter account @LL"

Told ya
  • Anonymous
    Amusing photo, as someone back there mentioned Saville.

what next, the LA guide to winning, clean?

670371154.jpg?key=600791&Expires=1349970824&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=aQLlvnZKSDp0csD21ZqAf2FAa20FPNeDaPRfGqnwjxopB6y5YOJTaIvekMcyPZQ0OfSkx9tl6eGfhGgygFl~Zyuc5ei-8CFDYV6kSnqLhCRxDrBewjajLRNbJb~UEPIPzIIfQoLumQO6TZ8DQM4tl36ds23WB2QmqK0gGxl-dDk_
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    andyp wrote:
    Cummings doesn't ride for Sky anymore.

Remind me who manages BMC again?

Thats how much of a non-entity Cummings is, I forgot he moved team.

D.Pate has been very vocal last couple of weeks on Anti-Doping issues, wonder what he makes of Yates, Dowsett, Brailsford et al or will he just join the 'I didn't see nothin, Arsmtrong is a legend' line as well now...

Just remind me Steve Cummings

2nd Team Pursuit Olympic Games 2005

Wow, how did they win a silver when they finished in the year after an Olympics :lol:

Definitely not a non-entity, he's been a classy domestique and could probably have won more races given the chance.
  • Pretty insulting and frannkly dumb to have called Cummings a non-entity. Especially as LL has such strong opinions on British teams and British riders

Suppose, but still doesn't change my opinion on anybody who wants to come out and say stupid things/continue in denial/be a lance apologist/talk about his stupid charity without acknowledging what a vicious, nasty, fraudulent, disgusting person he is...

7 tour de Frances. 7. A Decade of lies, deceipt, arrogance, of cheating fans and fellow competitors, of ruining a sport people are still trying to claim he has 'done alot for'. He makes me sick.

I'll take 'suppose'...look, I feel sickened and angered by Armstrong too...also Bruyneel who I want to see booted out of all sport for good...and those farking doctors...all the pushers, all the enablers...PM, HV...

I just think that there's a strange situation going on where people shout for riders to speak out, castigate those who dont OR assume that they must have something to hide, or call for a public flogging those who do say something that's not an utter condemnation of Armstrong. What's happened with Alex D today is going to royally put off other riders from saying anything IMO.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    A quick bit of retraction on the story now on the Beeb
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19910165
    British cyclist Alex Dowsett believes Lance Armstrong remains "a legend of the sport" but could not shake his hand in light of recent doping allegations.
    The United States Anti-Doping Agency banned Armstrong for life and stripped him of his seven Tour de France titles. eam Sky rider Dowsett, 24, said on Thursday morning: "He is still a legend of the sport. A guy who had cancer came back and won the Tour de France."
    However, he later told BBC Sport: "I don't think I could shake his hand."
    Armstrong, who has always denied doping but chose not to fight the charges filed against him, has been labelled a "serial" cheat and is accused of leading "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen".
    Dowsett joined Team Sky for the 2011 season from the US-based Trek-LiveStrong squad - an under-23 development team created by Armstrong to nurture emerging talent.
    He made his initial "legend" comment immediately after finishing a stage at the Tour of Beijing.
    When he later spoke to BBC Radio 5 live, he explained: "When I first referred to Lance as a legend a couple of months ago it was referring mainly to what he has done for cancer.
    "The Livestrong charity is something I rode for when I was with the Trek Livestrong team and I saw all the good that it did.
    "It has really raised the profile of cancer awareness and raised huge amounts of funds.
    "I rode for his development team and I did meet him a few times but I don't think I'd want to [shake his hand].
    "It's what [these revelations] could do in terms of tarnishing the sport. It could put us all out of not just our jobs but doing what we love."

Not quite what it said earlier, although it still has that "LA is a legend" title
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'm glad he has gone someway to re-dress the situation.

I'm not a tweeterer but I might sign up now. I'm guessing he got a fair few rebukes which made him think again.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • so its not like it was an un-level playing field.

It wasn't a level playing field...............Phartmstrong had the best doctor (Ferrari) and paid him not to be aid preparatiore to anyone else.

So lets quell this level playing sh*t once and for all can we ?
  • LeicesterLad
    I'm glad he has gone someway to re-dress the situation.

I'm not a tweeterer but I might sign up now. I'm guessing he got a fair few rebukes which made him think again.

Haha, 'rebukes' was one word for it!
  • I told him he was a plonker on twatter
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434

I agree, but (sorry about this.......)

That would be 7 Tours de France (not tours de Frances). Seven years do not a decade make.

Other than that (I left out a few other typo corrections) I agree with you. I would not shake his hand, I would spit on it.

ANYWAY, having read around a lot here and elsewhere today, why oh why do we have to wait another 21 days? Will it take the UCI 21 entire days to read the paperwork? I'd have given them seven days, tops. Let's get this over with, you (UCI) have known for months that it was coming, even the Daily Mail (!) has two double-page spreads complete with photos and mini-summaries of all the riders who have testified as part of the USADA report. They face going to jail if they have committed perjury, so what's the 21-day delay all about?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited October 2012
    Lichtblick wrote:

I agree, but (sorry about this.......)

That would be 7 Tours de France (not tours de Frances). Seven years do not a decade make.

Other than that (I left out a few other typo corrections) I agree with you. I would not shake his hand, I would spit on it.

ANYWAY, having read around a lot here and elsewhere today, why oh why do we have to wait another 21 days? Will it take the UCI 21 entire days to read the paperwork? I'd have given them seven days, tops. Let's get this over with, you (UCI) have known for months that it was coming, even the Daily Mail (!) has two double-page spreads complete with photos and mini-summaries of all the riders who have testified as part of the USADA report. They face going to jail if they have committed perjury, so what's the 21-day delay all about?

Quite right, Armstrong wasnt plying his deceitful, fraudulent, bullying, cheating ways for a decade....there was 1998-2011, and before that, the years before his cancer treatment. MUCH LONGER than a decade.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Lichtblick wrote:

Have you ever dealt with legal departments? They'll want to read everything thoroughly, cross check to see where it stands legally and with the rules. Put together a judgement, then get that checked over to see what they've decided is legally sound. 21 days isn't very long with this in mind.

Nice comments on twitter to Daniel Benson from Taylor Phinney. I think he's learnt from his mate Dowsett's mistake!
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434

Quite right, Armstrong wasnt plying his deceitful, fraudulent, bullying, cheating ways for a decade....there was 1998-2011, and before that, the years before his cancer treatment. MUCH LONGER than a decade.

I'm on your side.

USADA have confined themselves to the 7 Tours de France years, haven't they? Anyway, what does it matter, his reputation is ruined no matter what happens next.

If he was taking drugs before the cancer, that means he always did, and learned nothing.

TBH I'm getting tired of the endless end game. I wish they'd get it over with.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Lichtblick wrote:

I'm on your side.

USADA have confined themselves to the 7 Tours de France years, haven't they? Anyway, what does it matter, his reputation is ruined no matter what happens next.

If he was taking drugs before the cancer, that means he always did, and learned nothing.

TBH I'm getting tired of the endless end game. I wish they'd get it over with.
    No they did not confine themselves to the 7 tour wins. They started with his comeback years and, having found discrepancies there used those as leverage to get past the statute of limitations and open up the can of worms that dated back to '98. A decade of chicanery at least.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Any word from Dowsett's team mate Wiggo i.e. the new patron of the peloton?
    so its not like it was an un-level playing field.

It wasn't a level playing field...............Phartmstrong had the best doctor (Ferrari) and paid him not to be aid preparatiore to anyone else.

Let's not also forget that different riders respond to a different extent than others e.g. naturally low haemtocrit level riders are likely to gain more advantage.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    zammmmo wrote:
    Any word from Dowsett's team mate Wiggo i.e. the new patron of the peloton?
    so its not like it was an un-level playing field.

Let's not also forget that different riders respond to a different extent than others e.g. naturally low haemtocrit level riders are likely to gain more advantage.

Says there can now be no doubt:

http://news.sky.com/story/996553/lance- ... y-evidence
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I am shocked and saddened by Alex Dowsett's remarks. Has he not heard, the omerta is over. What Armstrong did for cancer? He used it to promote himself. Many sports stars GIVE there own money to charities without shouting about it constantly.
    Like everything else he did it was always "Look at me".
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Dowsett was what, 16 when Armstrong won his last TDF.

You may as well ask him for an opinion on Merckx or Coppi and their doping.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dowsett was what, 16 when Armstrong won his last TDF.

You may as well ask him for an opinion on Merckx or Coppi and their doping.

It reminds me of an alleged interview with Peter Sagan on his pro debut in an Australian crit.

Q: "Peter, what was it like being in the break with Lance Armstrong?"
    A: "Who's Lance Armstrong?"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Erm ... I've just flicked through five pages of this mindless and utterly pointless tittle tattle and I'm kind of wondering why you guys haven't got anything better to do with your lives.