Exmoor Beast

13»

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I still can't believe how many people walked the climbs. For shame...
    I'm wishing I'd walked them! The pain is only now subsiding in my legs. 20% hills are too much for me!

But, you're right. Why would you sign up for an event known for it's steep climbs and then walk them?

Bit of a sweeping statement don't you think?

I did the Dartmoor Classic earlier in the year and made it around without getting off once, yet had to get off and climb up some hills (all be it not as early in the event as the OP's footage) due to cramp.

Who knows why those people are walking??

6 miles in? I stand by my sweeping statement.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Fair point! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Ppl walking annoyed me, if you walk you failed end of.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Who knows why those people are walking??

maybe they included some charity raising riders who were doing an event at very limits of their abilities ? All credit to them too, there seemed to be quite a few riders of varying fitness about which may include above ?

Abilities did seem very varied on this event and although I`m surprised at number walking don`t think you should knock them for it
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    NITR8s wrote:

This.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Grill wrote:
    NITR8s wrote:

This.

Thanks it took me a pathetic 9 hours and 41 mins to complete the 100 mile, but not once did I get off my bike to walk up a hill. I bet there are people out there who no doubt did a faster time than me and walked up a few of the hills. (Most Proberbly the ones in the loop near the end). For these people I have little respect.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I have a lot of respect for everyone who turned up on such a foul morning to give the Beast a go. 100k, 100m, hill walkers or not, I don't care; they all got on a bike when many fat lazy feckers were sound asleep in bed with the biggest challenge of the day awaiting them...what to watch on Sky+.

I am a decent climber (even if I do say so myself) and see any foot down on a climb as a monumental failure...for me, no one else. When doing club rides, I usuallly get to wait at the top for the majority of the group, some of whom then spank me soundly on the flats with their powerful speeds (and me hanging on, tongue out, at the back). OK, so no one in the usual group hill-walks but it's all cycling, we all get along.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Personally, I have a lot of respect for everyone who turned up on such a foul morning to give the Beast a go. 100k, 100m, hill walkers or not, I don't care;

This.
    Grill wrote:
    For these people I have little respect.

:roll:
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    People who walk up hills annoy me - I never ever want to stop or put my foot down on a climb. But it seems the minute these folk have decided to give up on the climb it no longer matters to them if they stop others from making it to the top. Be that by wandering into the middle of the road or ignoring clear shouted warnings for them to move over, look out etc.
  • Grill wrote:
    Compact with an 11-28. I was happy for the bailout on Crook Horn Hill but aside from that even with the knee gone the 24t sufficed.
    to summarise: 53/39 11-28 4h13 for 100km route. Great Day out. Rode the ford, didnt walk any hills - did call out to some walkers on Dunkery to stop having 'a social' in the middle of the road post cattle grid which was mildy frustrating. Too many turned out prepped for a swim, then the ride and a joful run to finish - tri bars are not safe in bunch situations, most other big sportives don't allow them. Loved it tho! :D
  • Nearly two weeks on and omly just getting back to respond to all of the above post event comments. So, here we go:-
    With regard to heights climbed, the organisers weren't telling porkys, it just looks like incorrect figures were published. It is therefor reasonable to accept the figures recorded, by the Garmins of Pumpkin Positive, Grill and JamesB, are correct. Sorry for the confusion, we'll try harder next time to get it right.

Garethp73's car parking observation needs addressing. We and Butlins knew, in advance, exactly how many vehicles to expect and sufficient space was always available. However, Butlins' management failed to brief all of their gate staff as to the volume of event traffic to expect. Consequently, some early arrivals were directed to off site alternatives which, rightly, led to frustration for some riders. As soon as we became aware of the problem, it was quickly resolved. Marcus, the chief organiser, did, repeatedly, ask those who had been charged for parking to let him know and he would claim the money from Butlis and reimburse those out of pocket.

Mats placed over the cattle grid, near the start of the Dunkery Beacon climb, were put their at the suggestion of riders. In agreement with the local farmers, it was not permissable for the mats to be tied down in case there was a need for their swift removal, should they be needed to do the job for which they were installed.

NITR8s, who left his limited edition engraved glass tankard behind ( please, it's not a 'mug' ) should contact MIG and enquire if he can get a replacement.

And finally, in response to FoldingJoe's query, I make it approximately 6 miles from the start to where the ford is.

On behalf of Marcus and The Beast Team, thanks for all your support and feedback; we'll continue to listen and take action.
  • Ron Keegan wrote:
    Nearly two weeks on and omly just getting back to respond to all of the above post event comments. So, here we go:-
    With regard to heights climbed, the organisers weren't telling porkys, it just looks like incorrect figures were published. It is therefor reasonable to accept the figures recorded, by the Garmins of Pumpkin Positive, Grill and JamesB, are correct. Sorry for the confusion, we'll try harder next time to get it right.

Garethp73's car parking observation needs addressing. We and Butlins knew, in advance, exactly how many vehicles to expect and sufficient space was always available. However, Butlins' management failed to brief all of their gate staff as to the volume of event traffic to expect. Consequently, some early arrivals were directed to off site alternatives which, rightly, led to frustration for some riders. As soon as we became aware of the problem, it was quickly resolved. Marcus, the chief organiser, did, repeatedly, ask those who had been charged for parking to let him know and he would claim the money from Butlis and reimburse those out of pocket.

Mats placed over the cattle grid, near the start of the Dunkery Beacon climb, were put their at the suggestion of riders. In agreement with the local farmers, it was not permissable for the mats to be tied down in case there was a need for their swift removal, should they be needed to do the job for which they were installed.

NITR8s, who left his limited edition engraved glass tankard behind ( please, it's not a 'mug' ) should contact MIG and enquire if he can get a replacement.

And finally, in response to FoldingJoe's query, I make it approximately 6 miles from the start to where the ford is.

On behalf of Marcus and The Beast Team, thanks for all your support and feedback; we'll continue to listen and take action.
    Thanks for getting back to us on these points. It's good to know that someone is listening!

On the cattle grid issue. I wonder whether a carpeted sheet of plywood might be the answer (a nice bit Axminster should do it). It could be easily picked up by a marshal if a sheep looks like it wants to make a bid for freedom.
  • I ride these roads a lot and I've never seen a sheep (or any other animals for that matter) in the woods above the cattle grid. I can't see it's a big issue to have them tied down as they could be remove very quickly.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It is Exmoor, the farmers make their living on Exmoor whereas a sportive is basically a load of cyclists having fun. I don't see the big issue. If one doesn't like cycling over the grids then why not walk? It isn't a race so the odd couple of mins here or there won't matter...and if one works hard enough one can make up the time.

Fortunately, I managed to make it cycling over all of the grids last time I did the ride...although I stopped bunny hopping the downhill ones after the 3rd one where I had a little wobble and saw sense :)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    It is Exmoor, the farmers make their living on Exmoor whereas a sportive is basically a load of cyclists having fun. I don't see the big issue. If one doesn't like cycling over the grids then why not walk? It isn't a race so the odd couple of mins here or there won't matter...and if one works hard enough one can make up the time.

I dont like to stop halfway up a climb I know I can do non-stop. So, if a slipping carpet makes me do that I'd be annoyed. The challenge for me on these rides is to never stop on a climb. I'm not that arsed about my times.

So, a board with a bit of carpet fixed to it would seem the best solution.
  • I had to stop and walk over the cattle grid as there was a 3 man pile up on it as I approached. I then remounted and was passed by people walking ! On an event that size you are going to get riders of all abilities, don't knock those who are less abled than some of you superstars. We were all beginners once.....