Exmoor Beast

Comments

• wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    tc345 wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:
    Did the 100 mile route. Ha! Just goes to prove how wrong the medium term forecast can be! It was 8celsius 25-40mph NW winds and almost constant heavy rain. Loved it! Few ambulances around for those of us who believed the forecast though re: hypothermia!

Rule 9! Woop woop!

You took the words from my mouth: very much a rule #9 ride! We are all awesome!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Rule 9 indeed, seeing people giving up and turning round to do the short course or getting in the back of one of the many vans just made me more determined to do it.

When a man in a van asked me at about mile 92, when it was getting dark and I had to use my palms to change gear and brake because i couldnt use my fingers any more, said to me "Are you ok to Finish?", I responded with a "Hell Yea I am"
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    'There is no bad weather, only bad clothing'

Merino, merino, merino! Merino mix glove liners are a godsend in weather like yesterday. They are ~£5 on ebay and kept my hands warm while wet all the way round.
  • The ford is early on, on the first climb. Looking at the map, i think its Sideway/Allercombe wood area, so about 7 miles in.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    tc345 wrote:
    'There is no bad weather, only bad clothing'

Merino, merino, merino! Merino mix glove liners are a godsend in weather like yesterday. They are ~£5 on ebay and kept my hands warm while wet all the way round.
    My hands were warm in o neil neoprene diving gloves. 1.5 mm thick and perfectly warm. Feet in mw80s wintex roubaix tights and ls base with endura windchill jacket . Thought I'd be too hot till it started lashing down.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Merino mix glove liners are a godsend in weather like yesterday

last pair merino I had got washed too warm and ended up XXS :(:( so now my vote goes with silk inner gloves; Jasmine Silk XL gloves with Assos Early Winters kept hands warm, even if by end ride they were soaked through.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    JamesB wrote:

last pair merino I had got washed too warm and ended up XXS :(:( so now my vote goes with silk inner gloves; Jasmine Silk XL gloves with Assos Early Winters kept hands warm, even if by end ride they were soaked through.

If you rub hair conditioner into merino you can stretch it back out to its original size.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tc345
    Grill wrote:
    JamesB wrote:

If you rub hair conditioner into merino you can stretch it back out to its original size.

Wow. You learn something new everyday.
  • Grill
    Gotta know these things when half your wardrobe is merino! ;)
  • tc345 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I hope that 25t was mated to a compact! If not you're certainly a stronger and braver man than myself!

There would be no way i would have gotten up that first climb on a double, let alone the short, sharp ones later on!

I can categorically inform you that the first climb on a double was not fun. Still slightly peeved today at the 'tuck in behind the fatty' comment. Scales today inform me that I'm currently weighing in at 79kg, 6ft and my other hobbies have me hauling around a lot more muscle mass in my upper body than the rest...

still. rule 5.
  • JamesB
    The ford is early on, on the first climb. Looking at the map, i think its Sideway/Allercombe wood area, so about 7 miles in.

Garmin data, ie elevation dip shows it at 8.2 miles if anyone wants it that accurate :)
  • tc345
    tc345 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I hope that 25t was mated to a compact! If not you're certainly a stronger and braver man than myself!

There would be no way i would have gotten up that first climb on a double, let alone the short, sharp ones later on!

I can categorically inform you that the first climb on a double was not fun. Still slightly peeved today at the 'tuck in behind the fatty' comment. Scales today inform me that I'm currently weighing in at 79kg, 6ft and my other hobbies have me hauling around a lot more muscle mass in my upper body than the rest...

still. rule 5.

Chapeau and VVV!
  • Grill
    JamesB wrote:
    The ford is early on, on the first climb. Looking at the map, i think its Sideway/Allercombe wood area, so about 7 miles in.

Garmin data, ie elevation dip shows it at 8.2 miles if anyone wants it that accurate :)

Heh, the climb before that is such a slog it felt like it was miles in!
  • JamesB
    yes it did but here`s the log data

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/238041764
  • Grill
    JamesB wrote:
    yes it did but here`s the log data

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/238041764

You appear to be missing 40 miles worth of data... :P
  • JamesB
    I don`t do Velomanti Rule 9----enjoyed 100km , would have hated 100miles in those conditions but respect due those who did
  • Grill
    At about 55 miles in one guy asked me if he was on the 100km route. I've never seen someone's face drop so low!
  • Some gopro footage of the 100km ride here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGkhTcKZl3o&feature=plcp

It's fairly amateurish but you might be see yourself if you were anywhere near to me. I started at about 07:40 and came in about 5h 05m later. The battery died near the top of the climb out of Lynmouth.
  • Some gopro footage of the 100km ride here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGkhTcKZl3o&feature=plcp

It's fairly amateurish but you might be see yourself if you were anywhere near to me. I started at about 07:40 and came in about 5h 05m later. The battery died near the top of the climb out of Lynmouth.

I've just noticed the date is wrong on the title page - doh! :roll:
  • Grill
    I still can't believe how many people walked the climbs. For shame...
  • Grill wrote:
    I'm wishing I'd walked them! The pain is only now subsiding in my legs. 20% hills are too much for me!

But, you're right. Why would you sign up for an event known for it's steep climbs and then walk them?
  • _andy
    _andy Posts: 22
    I did the 100k in the end 4 hrs 11 minutes and was pleased as it was 1 hr 10 mins quicker than the last time I did it in 2009. Didnt bother with the 100 mile this year due to wx and the fact that knowing Exmoor quite well I hate the last 40 miles of that route. Hello to everyone I met on route especially the guys who were stuck with me behind the cows on the A39 west to Lynmouth. I used a full double 53/39 with a 12-27 and it was sufficient.

Total respect to all riders specially the 100 mile guys, well done to you.

The carpet needs to be thicker over the cattle grid going up crook horn, I just about made it across before the spinning back wheel screwed it up and there should be a warning at the ford, I walked around as I have been there a few times but the next two people who came through came off and got soaked.

Overall though a very enjoyable day I felt and will be back next year for sure :D
  • tc345
    The carpet needed to be tied to the grid to stop it slipping. A series of zip-ties would have done the job well.

I didn't think that the weather was that bad tbh. It only rained for part of the route and the only bit that was approaching unpleasant was the moor road to lynmouth. After that i could take off my windproof and was plenty warm enough. Maybe it helped having mudguards!

I have to agree with the 100mile extra loop being less interesting that the rest of the route. If they could get to B2223 into the route that would be an improvement.
  • tc345
    btw does anyone have reliable gps data for the elevation of the 100mile route?
  • Grill
    The Strava route has it as 9,257ft. I clocked 9,370ft on my Garmin and with correction enabled Garmin Connect says 9,069ft. So 9k+ is a safe estimate.
  • NITR8s
    Some gopro footage of the 100km ride here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGkhTcKZl3o&feature=plcp

I think I saw you pulled in at the side of the road, was you cycling with one other person. I remember thinking, hey that guys go a gopro camera on his head.
  • NITR8s
    Strava from my Phone mapped it at 10,345 ft and 101.3 Miles.

It also shows it having three cat 2 climbs, three cat 4 climbs and 2 Cat 3 climbs
  • Photos are now up but not linked from the exmoorbeast site -
    http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/vie ... 3529603956

My self perception of bravely powering up the climbs has been replaced with the grim reality of the situation :shock:

Plus I now have the number of the people diving in all around me at the ford so I can hunt them down for trying to take me out!
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Grill wrote:
    I'm wishing I'd walked them! The pain is only now subsiding in my legs. 20% hills are too much for me!

But, you're right. Why would you sign up for an event known for it's steep climbs and then walk them?

Bit of a sweeping statement don't you think?

I did the Dartmoor Classic earlier in the year and made it around without getting off once, yet had to get off and climb up some hills (all be it not as early in the event as the OP's footage) due to cramp.

Who knows why those people are walking??
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • JamesB
    Results now up on Beast website; pleased to have just scraped inside A std for age :):) , for the 100km