There is no camaraderie between cyclists anymore more.

13»

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i had this rant a couple of months ago. in regents park on a sunday morning when my chainset fell off.

shit happens. deal with it
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    The only down side was her bike was filthy and my hands were covered in black grime by the time I had finished.

I wouldn't mind feeling dirty after servicing a woman
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    @MTBidle
    No toolkit is complete without a pair of blue nitrile disposable gloves scrunched up with the tyre levers. Cheap as anything (I buy a box of 100 every year or so) and save so much grief.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    SimonAH wrote:
    @MTBidle
    No toolkit is complete without a pair of blue nitrile disposable gloves scrunched up with the tyre levers. Cheap as anything (I buy a box of 100 every year or so) and save so much grief.
    This is sound advice. Unfortunately some people are so stupid they only remember the gloves half way through when they are already dirty. :oops:
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Pfff, real men get their hands dirty.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • My commute is not in London but Surrey SE London, last week I was having loads of problems with my Conti Tubes (treble puncture type problems) Not loads of Cyclists but 80% of both North and Southbound slowed and thumbed up to ask if ok.

After I had shot my last tube and decided to take the 4 mile walk of shame home, I had a brand new Specialized Tube foistered upon me by a kind cyclist. I got home fine. I left him a replacment by the side of the road as promised, but I bet one someone else snatched the fecker before he got to it!

Anyway, he didn't seem to bothered about getting a replacement but effectively he hgave a fiver to a complete stranger..
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    If I was out riding alone and came across a group of stick thin, fit roadies, who flagged me down, whilst they
    struggledto pump up one their punctures with a mini pump the size of a pencil, asking me if they could use
    my zefal hpx pump,the first I'd say to them, even before thinking about whether I'd help them (or NOT),
    would be; Why don't you get yourself a decent pump and carry it with you when you're out on a ride?

Any sarcasm from them would be me with a definite refusal.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Did this happen or are you just having a random rant?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I've lent my MTB's pump a few times now to roadies on boxhill who have been struggling with mini pumps.

can't really see what the problem is.
  • cycling in yesterday, there was a roadie with back wheel off and an inner tube in his hands (clearly looked like he knew what he was doing) but I still slowed and asked if he had everything he needed.

Saw him again this morning and got a wave :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    As I cycled into the last village before mine on my way home yesterday, a roadie overtook & then cycled at the same pace, allowing me to draft him (albeit not at club ride distance), which was decent as I was on the Pompetamine. Made sure I thanked him 3/4 mile later; tend to only have 10mph nodders on my route.
  • Punctured yesterday on a little circuit round Box Hill. Saw several riders go past who said nothing while I was changing the tube. Finally a young guy on an MTB pulled into the entranceway where I was. Then he took out his phone, sent a text and rode off without saying a word. I love Surrey.

(No, I didn't need any help)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    cycling in yesterday, there was a roadie with back wheel off and an inner tube in his hands (clearly looked like he knew what he was doing) but I still slowed and asked if he had everything he needed.

24 hours to fix a puncture! He should have swallowed his pride and accepted your offer of assistance.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    cycling in yesterday, there was a roadie with back wheel off and an inner tube in his hands (clearly looked like he knew what he was doing) but I still slowed and asked if he had everything he needed.

24 hours to fix a puncture! He should have swallowed his pride and accepted your offer of assistance.

I line 'em up....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I stopped to help a cyclist in need a few months back. As I slowed to stop and started to speak to the guy, the thing I didn't do was unclip my feet from the pedals. What ensued was a slow-motion comedy fall, an outstretched arm and a broken wrist. That will teach me to be a good Samaritan. I would still stop every time though.