I want a tattoo (Cycling)

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I had mine done when I was 22, I had spent some years DJing in clubs in Manchester and wanted to remeber it - I got a melting Vinyl record on my left shoulder. I still don't regret and it reminds me of good times, but also a life I left behind a long time ago.

I've been wanting another one for years, but like DW says, if you are not sure what you want, don't rush in.

What I can recommend is getting one done in Henna prior to having it. It will last a few weeks and by the end of that time you will know whether the design is right and also whether you can live with it. I was all set to have a Chinese tiger done on my right oblique area and then my kids came along... I am still deciding how to incorporate botht he boys names/birthdates into the design or go another direction.

Good luck deciding
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • craprider
    craprider Posts: 111
    Tattoos look cool on Sailors and Hells Angels and unspeakably naff on Photocopier salesmen. I think a tattoo is a terrible way of symbolising your love for something. Brand yourself for life with some tacky icon; turn yourself into a product. Why not REMAIN IN the dwindling bunch of folk with no tattoos. That would be a real statement. Just my 2 cents.

fixed it for you. must try harder.
  • craprider wrote:
    Tattoos look cool on Sailors and Hells Angels and unspeakably naff on Photocopier salesmen. I think a tattoo is a terrible way of symbolising your love for something. Brand yourself for life with some tacky icon; turn yourself into a product. Why not REMAIN IN the dwindling bunch of folk with no tattoos. That would be a real statement. Just my 2 cents.

fixed it for you. must try harder.
    :D
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Tattoos don't hurt that much, prolonged cat scratch...

Yes and no, depends on person and some areas are more sensitive than others. I have a fair percentage of my body tattooed and there have been a few areas that I wouldn't say a prolonged cat scratch.

I had my rib cage tattooed at a point I was under weight, maybe that cat was a lion....
  • Davdandy wrote:
    One other thing is NEVER EVER go to a scratcher.It simply isnt worth it.( a scratcher by the way is someone who does it from his kitchen or bedroom and are not a licensed artist.)

why not? 2 of mine were done by a friends dad who used to own and run a local tattoo shop but thanks to the good old economy was forced to close and work from home.

dont recall them hurting when getting them done although it has been at least 10 years since my last. The only thing I really remember is when he was working around my collar bone area and the vibrations coming through my teeth.

+1 my friend tattooed me for years at his home, use to have his own shop, helps run several shops with friends in the local area. As long as you know them/recommended and seen work. However I've had a bad tattoo from a shop so swings and roundabouts. (by bad tattoo I mean it was rushed looks fine but due to needle dragging it's raised slightly)

Don't get a brew and 'good' convo in tattoo shops, lots are run like meat markets.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Just think how crap it will end up looking when you're older.

tattooed-men.jpg
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • craprider
    craprider Posts: 111
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

tattooed-men.jpg

Win!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    baldwin471 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

yes because when your 80years old your going to be a stunner aren't you with or without a tattoo :wink: ?

To be honest I was thinking a lot sooner than that. Regardless, tattoos are really popular at the moment, but if that bubbles bursts you're going to be stuck with something that looks a bit naff.

Sorry I'm not going with the flow on this one and saying it's a great idea - I just think they're a bit crap really :lol:

What is your point? Who cares if they are "in" or not. If you like what you've got then why does it matter what others think of it? To the OP, if you want a tattoo get a tattoo. As long as you aren't getting it on your face then people are rarely going to see it anyway, and who cares if they do? What does a strangers negative view mean to you? You say cycling has changed your life, i think a tattoo is a perfect way to symbolise that. Like people love their children and get their names tattooed, you can do the same. Just my 2 cents.

I meant if you no longer thought it was good. Not if others did. That would be a bit rubbish - if you were left with something on you that you no longer like the look of, that you cant remove without leaving a scar.

The henna idea seems sensible as a way of trying it out. Although why they havent yet developed a tattoo ink that lasts for, say, 10 years and then fades I don't know. It would be a good compromise
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I have considered having "shut up legs" tattooed on one of my calves :)
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Tattoos are personal.

I dont give two s***s whether others like them or not,it is my body and i will do as i like.Some like jewellery,i don't but thats my choice not theirs.Some like designer clothes,i dont care but thats my choice too.

Do it for YOU and not someone else.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    My bands drummer just got a new addition to the final patch of untattooed skin left on his forearms - a robot boxer with the slogan 'fear the future'.

I don't have any tattoos.

I don't know why it always has to be us vs. them. Get something if you really want, who should really care but you?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you can find something that you would want tattooed on your body then get it done - personally I've never found anything I like that much. For myself it'd have to be something with meaning personal to me. Can't really see the point of the celtic knotwork/tribal stuff that seems popular - if it's just a pretty pattern to look at then it seems easier to get some new wallpaper.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Davdandy
    I find the tribal to be extremely lame to be honest.They have no meaning or merit other than someone wanting a tattoo for the sake of wanting one.Unless you are a Maori or aborigine they are pointless.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I heard a story about a woman getting a Chinese character tattooed on her that she was told mean "good luck" (or something). Turned out it meant "supermarket"

:lol:
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    A guy at the gym I go to has the Nike "Swish" on his upper arm. Actually looks quite cool.

Can't think of a similar cycling image though.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?

Written somewhere visiable to anyone anytime.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Carl_P wrote:
    A guy at the gym I go to has the Nike "Swish" on his upper arm. Actually looks quite cool.

I don't like them but that's just my opinion. You should care tuppence what others think.

I have to say though that having that Nike logo is bloody ridiculous. No imagination, just branding.
  • roypsb
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Carl_P wrote:

I don't like them but that's just my opinion. You should care tuppence what others think.

I have to say though that having that Nike logo is bloody ridiculous. No imagination, just branding.

Whoops! Just re-read that. Should say shouldn't care tuppence.
  • Davdandy
    For some inspiration type `cycling tattoos` into Google images.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • If you want one, get one.

I like some tatoos on people, some I don't like. They are body art.

The only thing I don't get is: When a heavily tatooed guy walks towards me and I am looking at the tatoos, he says "What the f&^k you looking at?"
  • Davdandy
    Well Mallorcajeff,have you had one or got a booking for one?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    rodgers73 wrote:

The ink is permanent but the state of your skin/muscle isn't. There's a lot of people out there who are going to look a right mess in the future. If I had some spare cash I'd invest it in anyone developing improved tattoo removal technology - that's going to be a boom industry!
    Totally agree,look at all these young girls with tattoos,what would a 50 year old woman look like covered in ink?
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • roypsb
    I see one of the young girls on Strictly Come Dancing has a tattoo on each calf. She can only be about 18 - they look hideous. Just my opinion though, each to their own.
  • RoyPSB wrote:
    I see one of the young girls on Strictly Come Dancing has a tattoo on each calf. She can only be about 18 - they look hideous. Just my opinion though, each to their own.

I think one of them looks okay the other looks awful.

Each to their own.
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    RoyPSB wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Carl_P wrote:

Whoops! Just re-read that. Should say shouldn't care tuppence.

Nope, you were right the first time I think; ..."should care tuppence' is implying little value, whereas "shouldnt care tuppence" implies a value higher than tuppence?? Its the "couldn't care less" "could care less" that gets misused - by the yanks mainly

Saw a bloke from Brighon on an Etape trip once who had the Colnago logo tattoed on his arm and it looked quite cool.

Edit: Actually, Im not so sure about what I wrote there, the tuppence not the Colnago tattoo
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    When I was having the tats of my dogs paws on my chest I chose for a bit of a laugh to have the following tattoed on my left calf, don't really care what people think but when I met "The Mr Campagnolo" himself at the Cycle Show this year he was impressed. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

cantgoslo_tat_sml.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think it is supposed to be 'I couldn't care less': As in "I currently care so little, that it is not possible for me to care any less about the issue'

I would presume that "Couldn't care tuppence" is again, because you care so little, that even a payment of tuppence for your troubles, is too much.

Anyway. Tattoos are bloody cool on some, sh!t on others. I really appreciate them, depending on what/who/where, but on a personal note: not for me.

Eg: lanky pasty chav with tribal thing round bicep = looks stupid (imo).
    A cheeky chainring on your calf - perhaps a bit corny, but probably quite cool.
    GIrls in tattoos - dependant - can be awful or great. Tribal tattoos on the small of your back are tacky IMV, but plant/vine-like things on ankles/feet are cool.

Opinion, innit.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    2646379474_6f196abdc6.jpg

tattooCHRG.jpg
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    lance-tattoo.jpeg

This isn't my tattoo. But it looks awful and now bet the guy hates it.

I don't mind people who have tattoos for a reason, like a family member passing, a turning point in their life etc. But these people who get it because they fancied it or thought it looked good, like people who just get stars on their wrist or something, those are the ones that I think look awful and tacky.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Oooh, now that's bad! I don't think I've ever seen a portrait tattoo that doesn't look goddamn awful. I can understand the tribal symbols and stupid stars you see on everyone, but who in their right mind would think it looks good to have someone else's face tattooed on them?! Even if it did look realistic (which it rarely does) it still looks bloody stupid.