I want a tattoo (Cycling)

mallorcajeff
mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
After finding my love of cycling I want a cycling related tattoo. I have never had one but always had a like for one but usual story never known what to have. Cycling has changed me in so many ways i want a permanent reminder/tribute if you like. Any ideas? I have looked at all the pics on the net i can find and weirdly the only one i found quite fun was just the words "I Bike" which i thought summed it up really. Any thoughts or inspiration. Its going to be on the arm out of sight just for me. Im not one for tattoos on show and with my work it would not look good but i want somethign tucked away for me. Id love two huge pistons on the calves but thats not going to happen! also how much do they hurt? Unbearable or is it like a long bee sting? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Chainring tattoo on the right hand calf!

Tattoos don't hurt that much, prolonged cat scratch...
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Mrs T's tat :D

tat.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Chainring tattoo on the right hand calf!

Tattoos don't hurt that much, prolonged cat scratch...

Agreed.It is like a scratch but once the tattoo artist takes his needle away the pain stops,it only hurts while actually having it done.Then sometimes the day or two after it can feel like sunburn,nothing too bad but a little uncomfortable,after three days or so you should be fine.The actual tattooing is not pleasant i have to say but nothing that cannot be overcome.I find that just talking to the artist can take you mind off the job inhand.

As for the design,i used Google images on the subject i wanted then close in form there.but do not copy one,what i did with one of mine was merge two together,add a bit here,take something away there,alter this or that.One thing i would say is DO NOT rush in and get one,do your research.

One other thing is NEVER EVER go to a scratcher.It simply isnt worth it.( a scratcher by the way is someone who does it from his kitchen or bedroom and are not a licensed artist.)
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • mallorcajeff
    cheers, for the advice for sure would only go to a regonised outfit and will want to see sample of work. Have you see what gary brennan ended up with on his arm? Blimey.

I will keep looking. love the chainring but i wear shorts at work!

thanks
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    don't get one, it will look unbelievably tacky. Just my £0.02.
  • I have 4. 5th booked for next week. None cycling related.... yet. Some hurt more than others. Shoulder was almost painless compared to the three hours of torture i endured on the chest. I'll report how the back feels next week ;)

Oh yeah, do it, you'll love it and who cares what other think of it?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I've got two, not cycling related, but I really like them, and have had them maybe 15 years. Doesn't really hurt - stings/burns a bit, so if I said "ouch" mine (Louis Molloy in Manchester) concentrated on another bit and then went back to it later. A couple of high strength nurofen took the edge off it a bit.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Don't do it my son, as you journey through life there will be enough people sticking needles in you for very good reasons so think on !!!!!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Davdandy wrote:
    One other thing is NEVER EVER go to a scratcher.It simply isnt worth it.( a scratcher by the way is someone who does it from his kitchen or bedroom and are not a licensed artist.)

why not? 2 of mine were done by a friends dad who used to own and run a local tattoo shop but thanks to the good old economy was forced to close and work from home.

dont recall them hurting when getting them done although it has been at least 10 years since my last. The only thing I really remember is when he was working around my collar bone area and the vibrations coming through my teeth.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Surely if you dont know what to get, then you're not ready to get one ..

If anyone sees it or you talk about it and they ask why, then you want to be able to give a better answer than, a guy off a forum suggested it.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Just think how crap it will end up looking when you're older.

The ink is permanent but the state of your skin/muscle isn't. There's a lot of people out there who are going to look a right mess in the future. If I had some spare cash I'd invest it in anyone developing improved tattoo removal technology - that's going to be a boom industry!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If the strange tan lines, helmet hair* and occasional plaster/scratch/graze/limp/pair of crutches doesn't show off your love of cycling, what does?

* I'm enjoying this while I've still got hair
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • craprider
    craprider Posts: 111
    i often spend hours and hours and hours wondering what I'm going to look like at 90.. Did your Daily Mail not get delivered today? :D

DW offers the best advice, if you don't know what you want you don't want one. you need to settle on a design and then wait for a good while so you can see if it is still what you want. once you have one though the addiction kicks in and you will get a LOAD of random stuff. (i very nearly got a flying toaster once....)

The right tattooist for the right style is the really important bit. my thing is bright color so even though I'm Basingstoke i go to Leah at spear studio in Birmingham http://www.spearstudio.co.uk/leah.html as she is one of the best colour tattooists in the UK. going to her for a portrait for example wouldn't happen.
  • craprider
    Oh, wait. in the crap tattoo thread somebody suggested the world champion stripes.
    do it!
  • craprider
    5597893403_477a7a2f4c_m.jpg
    looks awesome on an older guy!
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Can't believe this little beauty hasn't been recommended to you!:

A13QXcBCcAEr2vy.jpg

:lol:
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    craprider wrote:
    The right tattooist for the right style is the really important bit. my thing is bright color so even though I'm Basingstoke i go to Leah at spear studio in Birmingham http://www.spearstudio.co.uk/leah.html as she is one of the best colour tattooists in the UK. going to her for a portrait for example wouldn't happen.

Had a look at the website - great work but why would anyone get ham and pickle/cucumber? done on their hands! Also the girl with the cat tail on her back! Sorry if they're yours.
  • mallorcajeff
    jesus that sky one?????? christ. Thanks for the input yeah I will mull it over wont rush into it I have a few ideas I will ponder over. Agreed the one on the old guy looks good on him. Thanks all
  • craprider
    kieranb wrote:
    craprider wrote:

Had a look at the website - great work but why would anyone get ham and pickle/cucumber? done on their hands! Also the girl with the cat tail on her back! Sorry if they're yours.

Nope not me, although i do love ham and pickle.
  • craprider
    Also the girl with the cat tail on her back!
    is it not a dude?!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    rodgers73 wrote:

yes because when your 80years old your going to be a stunner aren't you with or without a tattoo :wink: ?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Do not get a penis tattooed on your forehead. I repeat; Do not get a penis tattooed on your forehead.
    It's so unnecessary..
  • I can think of a great place you could put a tattoo of a hole in a tyre.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    From reading your OP, it seems like you have already made your mind up to get one, so I don't see the point in anyone trying to talk you out of it. Who cares what it'll look like when you get older - use moisturiser on them if that's a great concern!
    I have five at the last count, and don't regret any of them - none are cycling related, but who knows, my next one might be. What I will say is that I didn't rush into any of them, I searched for months beforehand before finding designs or themes to base designs on - I suggest you do the same. Don't just research existing tattoo designs, keep an eye out for attractive designs in bike shops, bike mags, T-shirt designs etc.
    Some places on the body hurt more than others, but where you are suggesting - the upper arm, is probably a good place to start, those that I have in that region hurt the least, probably because there's no protruding bones.
    Good luck, but beware, it can become addictive!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    rodgers73 wrote:

yes because when your 80years old your going to be a stunner aren't you with or without a tattoo :wink: ?

To be honest I was thinking a lot sooner than that. Regardless, tattoos are really popular at the moment, but if that bubbles bursts you're going to be stuck with something that looks a bit naff.

Sorry I'm not going with the flow on this one and saying it's a great idea - I just think they're a bit crap really :lol:
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

To be honest I was thinking a lot sooner than that. Regardless, tattoos are really popular at the moment, but if that bubbles bursts you're going to be stuck with something that looks a bit naff.

Sorry I'm not going with the flow on this one and saying it's a great idea - I just think they're a bit crap really :lol:

What is your point? Who cares if they are "in" or not. If you like what you've got then why does it matter what others think of it? To the OP, if you want a tattoo get a tattoo. As long as you aren't getting it on your face then people are rarely going to see it anyway, and who cares if they do? What does a strangers negative view mean to you? You say cycling has changed your life, i think a tattoo is a perfect way to symbolise that. Like people love their children and get their names tattooed, you can do the same. Just my 2 cents.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Well, consider, say buying a stylish piece of clothing (e.e. trendy belgian cycling cap?) but times change as does taste, you dump the clohing and get something new. Image being stuck with that piece of clothing forever?
  • craprider
    tumblr_lt8bqmTKWI1qg8mkho1_500.jpg
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Never mind a tattoo; in MBR magazine there was a photo of a guy who fell off his MTB at the bottom of a big descent, the bike landed on top of him with the rear disc brake leaving its red hot imprint on the inside of his calf... Branded by Avid, nice! I dont have a tattoo but both shins and calves have lots of pedal strike scars from the flats that I sometimes run...
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    baldwin471 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

What is your point? Who cares if they are "in" or not. If you like what you've got then why does it matter what others think of it? To the OP, if you want a tattoo get a tattoo. As long as you aren't getting it on your face then people are rarely going to see it anyway, and who cares if they do? What does a strangers negative view mean to you? You say cycling has changed your life, i think a tattoo is a perfect way to symbolise that. Like people love their children and get their names tattooed, you can do the same. Just my 2 cents.

Tattoos look cool on Sailors and Hells Angels and unspeakably naff on Photocopier salesmen. I think a tattoo is a terrible way of symbolising your love for something. Brand yourself for life with some tacky icon; turn yourself into a product. Why not join the dwindling bunch of folk with no tattoos. That would be a real statement. Just my 2 cents.