Cavendish's departure confirmed.

13»

Comments

• greentea, you really must be quite a hit with the ladies.

Or do you tend to spend a lot of time at home, in front of a screen perhaps?
  • Nick Fitt wrote:
    nferrar wrote:
    I thought it was Froome's missus that tweeted a load of crap during the TdF rather than Cav's?

They all did, even Wiggos, its going to be bloody awkward at the Chrimbo bash, God forbid they have the same frocks on :lol:

That's one Christmas party fight I want to see the video of :wink:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    isn't this about Cav going to OPQS? my mistake.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    philbar72 wrote:
    isn't this about Cav going to OPQS? my mistake.

I keep coming to this thread expecting info and get disappointed. The thread should be pulled - the topic title is not even started with capitals :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has got the sort of money Cav is looking for as I would have thought his signing would be announced before the season finishes. Are there any top pro teams with Chinese connections? If so, maybe they will announce he during the Tour of Beijing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has got the sort of money Cav is looking for as I would have thought his signing would be announced before the season finishes. Are there any top pro teams with Chinese connections? If so, maybe they will announce he during the Tour of Beijing.
    OPQS are backed by Zdenek Bakala, a Czech billionaire, and Marc Coucke who is worth about 400 million, so they've got plenty of cash.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    How much is Boonen on per year? I would have thought Cav would be on the same level financially?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    OPQS are backed by Zdenek Bakala, a Czech billionaire, and Marc Coucke who is worth about 400 million, so they've got plenty of cash.

Maybe Boonen doesn't want him there and he is the big draw for the team. Also, being backed by people with big money doesn't necessarily follow that they will pay whatever an athlete wants. We've started to see that with Abramovich at Chelsea.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Boonen's appeal is limited to Belgium (and a small pocket of south west London), whereas Cavendish, whether you like him or not, has more of a global appeal.

I think Cavendish's earnings are significantly higher than Boonen's.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Boonen has said he doesn't mind having Cannonball on board.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    andyp wrote:
    Boonen's appeal is limited to Belgium (and a small pocket of south west London), whereas Cavendish, whether you like him or not, has more of a global appeal.

I think Cavendish's earnings are significantly higher than Boonen's.

He's a bit bigger than that.

Cav is a bigger name but that's because there's barely anyone who is bigger than Cav.
  • Cav's salary is £1.5m at Sky. What level do you reckon Boonen's is, Rick?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Does anyone know if cyclists like Cav and Boonen are on substantial bonus-related pay? Or do they just earn a base salary and that's it?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    itd be daft not to have bonus related schemes in either of their contracts. cav is a serial winner and in the right team will surely offer greater exposure to OPQS. as for Boonen, he really in all probability won't be racing absolutely all of the same races.... there is surely a very good chance for them to work and co exist together....
  • rick_chasey
    Cav's salary is £1.5m at Sky. What level do you reckon Boonen's is, Rick?

No idea.

He's lived tax light for a while though.
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:
    Does anyone know if cyclists like Cav and Boonen are on substantial bonus-related pay?

Absolutely.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Cav's salary is £1.5m at Sky. What level do you reckon Boonen's is, Rick?

No idea.

He's lived tax light for a while though.

Aye but the white powder he's so fond of doesn't come cheap.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    1.5m per year for Cavendish is less than I heard.

I'd be happy to wager on the BikeRadar posts-per-win metric, Boonen is a far more popular.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    1.5m per year for Cavendish is less than I heard.

I'd be happy to wager on the BikeRadar posts-per-win metric, Boonen is a far more popular.

I thought it was more but then figured it was because figures tend to get quoted in $...

Cav's salary according to the Rich List/New Worth sites e.g.
    http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth ... net-worth/

(same net worth as Cuddles, according to this - couldnt bear looking at Lance's for fear of having mass rage)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm astonished at how much Big George is supposed to be worth. He invested well.

Still think Cavendish's sounds on the low side. But I guess we'll never know - all part of a package.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • As well as Hincapie Sportswear he has investments in the US.
    One of these is some sort of holiday/sports resort so I think Big George has done well.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    philbar72 wrote:
    itd be daft not to have bonus related schemes in either of their contracts.

Yes, but what I meant was out of a notional salary of £1.5m would, say, as much as £1m be bonus related? I mean obviously the contract type would be different for different types of rider but taking Cav as an example.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm astonished at how much Big George is supposed to be worth. He invested well.

I imagine his salary has been vast due to all the major races he's won.

Oh.