edited October 2012 in Pro race
they've let him go for free

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -free.html

looks like Bernie's staying put though.

Comments

• Cycling Weekly's £3 now?!?!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Or even...let him go free. Not exactly Nelson Mandela I know.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Bernie Eisel not going with Cav! it's all going to go pear shaped!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Amazed Bernie hasn't gone with him. Cav has repeatedly said he wants Bernie with him for the rest of his career.

Guess Bernie's had enough and wants to make his own mark. Good for him.
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    Why would Bernie follow Cav? Hes happy at Sky and in one of the best teams going. He has his own career to think about and probably doesn't want to be Cavs batty-boi bjtch anymore.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Cycling Weekly's £3 now?!?!

Ha! :D

That was my response. I think it was £1.20 when I last bought it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,180
    They only signed Cav to get hold of Bernie, now they've got what they wanted they are booting him out and making it look like they are doing him a favour ;)
  • Best conspiracy theory so far!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Why have they let him go for free?

Even if they wouldn't get the full amount, surely he still has quite a large value.
    exercise.png
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    TheStone wrote:

Even if they wouldn't get the full amount, surely he still has quite a large value.

Because they want to make sure he goes. A release fee will just complicate the transfer and would be a lot less in than the saving Sky make in not paying his salary. So it's not worth the hassle I imagine.
  • Richj wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Because they want to make sure he goes. A release fee will just complicate the transfer and would be a lot less in than the saving Sky make in not paying his salary. So it's not worth the hassle I imagine.

A BBC sports journo, Matt Slater, tweeted last night:
    'Speaking of market forces, good to see Cav gets his move. I hear Brailsford persuaded miffed Sky board to drop compensation demand'
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Richj wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Or they said go for free but we get to keep Bernhard.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I would think that Sky got good value for the World Champions Jersey in that year.
    I've asked before :- Where does Team GB end to where Sky Cycling Team begin. :?: :?:
    They rode solely for him at the Olympic Road Race.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • well, they wont be doing that again till at least 2016...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Rumour on spaziociclismo that Kwiatkowski might be coming back from OPQS as part of the deal. No idea if it's true or not, but that would be a good get for them. Super talent.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    deejay wrote:
    I've asked before :- Where does Team GB end to where Sky Cycling Team begin. :?: :?:

Not sure, they seem one team. Wasn't there an investigation recently in to BC and Sky in relation to lottery funding?? (or have I made that up) No idea what the result was.
  • Richj wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Not sure, they seem one team. Wasn't there an investigation recently in to BC and Sky in relation to lottery funding?? (or have I made that up) No idea what the result was.

When Sky was first set up UK Sport ordered an audit by Deloitte into Brailsford’s roles as PD of Sky and as head of the British Olympic Cycling programme - because there was huffing and puffing that he wouldn't be able to do both roles. UK Sport wanted to know how Brailsford was allocating his hours and resources - also same for staff who sometimes doubled up and served GB and Sky in some capacity. The conclusion was that there was no basis for concern - the lottery funding wouldnt be spent on Sky, nor would Oly medals be jeopardised by Brailsford having the dual role - as has been validated by the delivery of mucho gold medals.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    andyp wrote:

I was a subscriber for many years until the new editor (Robert Garbutt) arrived and immediately changed the format with cycle racing a low priority. (I was furious with that and had to wait nearly 2 years to be able to finish with it)
    That is until July and like most of the British media he cashed in with the Tour De France but the Classics, Giro & Vuelta were given the odd page at the back.
    Then I would have to phone CW for route details of 4days Dunkerque and a guy that is now known to you as Biking Bernie would be helpful and find it for me.

Now I don't need it, as I don't do Sportives.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • greentea
    deejay wrote:
    andyp wrote:

I was a subscriber for many years until the new editor (Robert Garbutt) arrived and immediately changed the format with cycle racing a low priority. (I was furious with that and had to wait nearly 2 years to be able to finish with it)
    That is until July and like most of the British media he cashed in with the Tour De France but the Classics, Giro & Vuelta were given the odd page at the back.
    Then I would have to phone CW for route details of 4days Dunkerque and a guy that is now known to you as Biking Bernie would be helpful and find it for me.

Now I don't need it, as I don't do Sportives.

I get Cycling Weekly and half of its shjte. What f*cks me off is they print 10 odd pages of sportives because its easy editorial then give you a "Free" mini booklet stamped to the front of the issue a week later with the same sportives list from the week before! Why f*cking waste a third of the mag the week before if youre going to do that anyway? They do it all too often. C*nts.
  • For those who enjoy the thought that Mr Cavendish is some sort of idiot. Would you be able to walk away from a three year employment contract, with two years to run, without having to pay some form of compensation?
    'fool'
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    For those who enjoy the thought that Mr Cavendish is some sort of idiot. Would you be able to walk away from a three year employment contract, with two years to run, without having to pay some form of compensation?

Yes, I expect I probably could in his circumstances.

Cav - "I'd like to leave please"

Sky - "Well Cav, you're going to have to pay us some sort of severance or arrange for your new team to pay quite a few quid in compo."

Cav - "OK. I'll hang around and you can pay me £Xmillion a year to be the worlds most expensive domestique, since that appears to be my role in this squad. You can go and justify that to your board while I go home and pump my glamour model missus. Cheerio."

Let's not forget, footballers routinely manage to negotiate themselves out of whatever club they want away from and I doubt many would draw the conclusion that this makes them any brighter than a 5 watt bulb.

I neither loathe or love Cav, but to suggest this makes him look like some kind of genius is nonsense really.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    MrTapir wrote:
    Richj wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Or they said go for free but we get to keep Bernhard.

Or wherever Cav is going said "we don't need Bernard so you'll have to get a divorce"
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • greentea
    Will Rob Ellingworth be going too? Just a thought.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    ^Rod?

I would think he will still be at Sky. He's been there since the beginning.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For those who enjoy the thought that Mr Cavendish is some sort of idiot. Would you be able to walk away from a three year employment contract, with two years to run, without having to pay some form of compensation?

You obviously don't work in recruitment.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Neither do you :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Untill my gardening leave is finished, I sure still do ;).
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Nothing better than getting paid to sit at home and masturbate.

I bet you don't even have a garden.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    On the assumption that Cav has an agent, I wonder what happens to the agents payment? I would imagine he/it got 10%. If the agent was paid in full for the 3 years does he keep it? Conversely if the agent will now miss out on the remaining two years, will he get owt? Or, does he not give a shit shit as a mahoosiv OPQS pay cheque is soon coming his way as 10% of another chunk - along with some BG goodies I imagine.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

Nothing better than getting paid to sit at home and masturbate.

I bet you don't even have a garden.

:lol: