Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• realmentheyshavewithchainsaws.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    suzyb wrote:
    As a ladee I'll just mention, shaving with a cut throat is sexier.

Tell that to my wife. She was 'doing her bikini area' and was left with a nasty gash
    :shock:
    I think that was supposed to be there. :shock:
  • Beard!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    merkin wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Tell that to my wife. She was 'doing her bikini area' and was left with a nasty gash
    I think that was supposed to be there. :shock:

If anyone would know it would be a merkin.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:

Is that the kind of thing you WANT to be sharing on a public forum?????

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meanin ... on-of/gash

(p.s. you owe me a new keyboard, screen, wallpaper....)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • How would you do round your knees?
  • I've used a mach 3 turbo for years now, and swear by it. About 3 years ago I got a 'razor pit' from mankind (male grooming website) for about £20. 1 blade now lasts for over 4 months - the blade is cleaned/honed on the silicone base of the 'pit' - best thing since sliced bread. As far as the cut-throat bit is concerned, I have had a few close shaves at a turkish barber shop. They are best when I have 2-3 days growth and then a CT shave - really smooth for about 2 days.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I had a cut throat razor shave from a Turkish barber in July last year. I ended up covered in razor bumps the day after (I always get them) so haven't shaved since.

Absolutely detest shaving.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    This thread's quite interesting to me. I'm quickly becoming a traditionalist since my mate took up barbering a few years back. I was the 'model' for his assessments and stuff when it came to shaving and to be fair the finish (if that's an acceptable term) is loads better.

Since I was 13 I've nearly always used Gillette razors and gels but am becoming disheartened at the price for such a thing. About two years ago I went back to soap and brush after pinching my Dad's on a weekend away purely for cost efficiency. The Mrs asked me about Christmas presents the other day and was thinking along he lines of a straight blade. Only thing is it worries me that my lad (currently 11 so not long away from the daily chore) might see fit to pinch my razor like I did my old man all those years ago.

My barber friend does shave commercially but it is very much under the counter and to trusted friends etc because they've got so much hair work to do they can't justify the time for the shaving as a full product offer. It's a shame really because there aren't many places round here who offer it.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Who has time to go into a barbers and get shaven every day?
  • asprilla

You assume everyone shaves every day.

I shave when Mrs A tells me I can't come near her 'with THAT' on my face and that I look like a 'fucking tramp'.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    I guess so.

I need to shave every day. Tried the beard option and, simply, my hair does not grow in a way that makes me look smart with facial fuzz.

I do have sensitive skin and it gets sore, but I have found that by shaving every day it toughens up and kills the nerves anyway.

So, to those moaning, a little MTFU is in order.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195

A monthly (or so) treat perhaps? Supplemented by DIY in the middle.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    I'm a double-edge razor man, myself. Fifty Derby Extra blades for a fiver and a proper razor to house them in (Muhle R89 - http://connaughtshaving.com/mur89.html). No nicks, no cuts and a very good shave indeed.

My barber uses a single-edge blade, but I suspect they're just for show-offs, or people shaving other people.

Edit: Yes, they give a much better shave, and will irritate your skin a lot less. They talk a load or tripe on the adverts in order to sell you the latest and greatest. £20 for 8 blades? You must be mad!

This.

Good quality double edged safety razor ( I use a Merkur Futur). Derby blades (best bang for the buck) and then find a soap that suits you. I also like a good badger brush.

The rest is practice. But you'll get a better shave by far than the expensive plastic cartridge blades, so it's a skill worth learning. Plus you get a real old skool buzz out of it.
  • I use a straight razor, but I'm generally too lazy to shave more than once a week at best. I will resort to a KingOfShaves thing if I'm disinclined to spend the extra time.

No idea what make of razor it is, looks like carbon steel to me, with a bone handle, and is older than dirt. Belonged to my Grandad. It's nice to have a strop in the house to finish up my work knives as well.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    Underscore wrote:
    I'm a double-edge razor man, myself. Fifty Derby Extra blades for a fiver and a proper razor to house them in (Muhle R89 - http://connaughtshaving.com/mur89.html). No nicks, no cuts and a very good shave indeed.

My barber uses a single-edge blade, but I suspect they're just for show-offs, or people shaving other people.

Edit: Yes, they give a much better shave, and will irritate your skin a lot less. They talk a load or tripe on the adverts in order to sell you the latest and greatest. £20 for 8 blades? You must be mad!

Is there ANYTHING that can be bought that we don't have a complete snob on this forum for?

Honestly - you lot.... coffee, shaving, watches, bloody MOISTURISER.

I'm going to go and buy some white sliced bread from Aldi.

Yeah, but double-edge shaving isn't snobbery: it's cheaper and better*; snobbery is about things that are more expensive and (possibly) better.

Having said that, the Muhle R89 is basically the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89 that I have but more expensive, so you may have a point... :)

_

* I took up DE shaving about a year ago after find Mach3 to be too expensive while still irritating the neck a bit. I've found DE shaving to take a little longer but it is hugely cheaper and gives much less irritation. Shaving with a cut-throat? Now that, I suspect, is snobbery!

I just started with the Edwin Jagger about 6 weeks ago, yes the pre shave prep takes a little longer, exfoliate then lather up with the badger brush but it is oh so worth it.

Smoother, less sensitivity and just darn classier. True the initial cost is greater but then just replacing the blade once a month it soon becomes cheaper.

my wife was skeptical, couldn't understand why I would spend so much on a brush, razor and soap, that is until I shaved one of her legs for her, while she used the usual cartridge razor on the other, the results speak for themselves.

From what I have read on other shaving forums, just like the cartridge razors, different blades have different characteristics, apparently in the UK if you go to certain shops you can get packs of mixed blades so you can try with different ones to see which suits best, the sharpest I have heard is called "Feather" from Japan but their stuff is expensive
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Asprilla wrote:

I shave when Mrs A tells me I can't come near her 'with THAT' on my face and that I look like a '******* tramp'.

Are you married to my Wife?

I quite like the idea of a decent razor - might be added to the christmas list.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Easy answer to the price of Mach 5 is to get cheaper alternatives. What does the fifth blade do, anyway, does it catch the hairs that ducked and avoided the first four blades?

Anyway, good excuse to post this classic:
    Fúck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Mouth wrote:

And what about the shaving?

Ba

Dum

Tish
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I use a straight razor, but I'm generally too lazy to shave more than once a week at best. I will resort to a KingOfShaves thing if I'm disinclined to spend the extra time.

No idea what make of razor it is, looks like carbon steel to me, with a bone handle, and is older than dirt. Belonged to my Grandad. It's nice to have a strop in the house to finish up my work knives as well.
    I have a full set of blades from my Grandfather but have not as yet tried them. thought about it often but never really had the time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • A good cleaning is essential on old blades. Carbon steel tends to pick up a lot of greasy taint that's a right bugger to get off and keep off. It holds an edge like nobody's business, though.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Many moons ago I bought a cut throat razor but I was too scared of it for a few weeks to actually shave with it. Eventually I came home from the pub one night and was far enough on the wrong side of sober to think that now would be a good time to try shaving with if for the first time.

I did the right side of my face and was amazed at how smooth it was, much better than the Gillette Sword Mach Protector 3 Orange Sensitive that I had been using. I then went to the left side of my face to continue being amazed when I noticed a thin line of blood oozing through the lather on the right side of my jaw. I washed the lather off and saw a flap of skin about 2cm long and about 3mm deep.

The blade was so sharp that I didn't feel it go in (or maybe that was the alcohol) and I was scared off for a long time. I've tried a few times since but I don't think its sharp enough any more.

Time to get a strop I think.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Mouth wrote:

How the heck is shaving a treat?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It is. 30 minutes or so of what's become known as me-time, pampering yerself on your own in the bathroom with the wireless on and nobody to come and bother you for a while as you've made it known it's better to be left to get on with it.

Emerging with a properly smooth face and the satisfaction of a job well done is a treat in anyone's book surely.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    CiB wrote:
    It is. 30 minutes or so of what's become known as me-time, pampering yerself on your own in the bathroom with the wireless on and nobody to come and bother you for a while as you've made it known it's better to be left to get on with it.

Emerging with a properly smooth face and the satisfaction of a job well done is a treat in anyone's book surely.

i assume you're hiding the magazines after your 'me' time. :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    well seeing as we are talking shaving....

how quick does your face fuzz grow?

i think i must be part mexicana or somethign as i get growth the next day an i think i got a touch of hypertrichosis

ok not in the league of this poor nipper,

Hypertrichosis-Images.jpg

but still bad enough to be called a werewolf if i ever go to the beach, i think i had a hairy chest at 13
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I have used a Merkur Futur 760 Safety Razor for the last few years. I got it as a present after my cheapy DE blade was getting a bit worn looking. It is so much cheaper in the long run (and more green - less waste). I use the mach type things only in emergency and do notice the shave is not so good. I don't think I would go to a straight blade.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I hate shaving. If I wet shave, its nice and smooth for a few hours, then starts to feel bit prickly , then I get a rash, then red spots, then proper yellow head spots after a day or so. I haven'thad a wet shave for about 10 years as a result. It would be interesting to see whether a cut throat shave was better or worse - I fear worse. I can just about get away with an electric shaver, but have resorted to the bearded look since Christmas. Apparently its a bit trendy, so is Ok with the wife for the time being unless it gets a bit too full. I think I can pull it off with jeans and a t-shirt, but I do feel a bit "audax" when i'm in my lycras - think I'll give it until the end of the year and might go clean shaven again for a bit (every man should have a beard for at least one year of their life I reckon).
  • asprilla
    rubertoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I shave when Mrs A tells me I can't come near her 'with THAT' on my face and that I look like a '******* tramp'.

Are you married to my Wife?

I quite like the idea of a decent razor - might be added to the christmas list.

Possibly. Has she also trained your kids to squeeze your face cheeks into a fish face and say 'Daddy, I'm not kissing you until you shave'?

If so then we share a bigamist.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    well seeing as we are talking shaving....

how quick does your face fuzz grow?

i think i must be part mexicana or somethign as i get growth the next day an i think i got a touch of hypertrichosis

ok not in the league of this poor nipper,

Hypertrichosis-Images.jpg

but still bad enough to be called a werewolf if i ever go to the beach, i think i had a hairy chest at 13

If I do shave I have to chose a point to stop, since the beard merges into chest hair and well ends up at the Ankels!

i do shave folks at work, and most love it to be honest.