Cut-throat shaving

Comments

• domgears wrote:
    the initial cost is greater but then just replacing the blade once a month it soon becomes cheaper.

Well I've been shaving with a DE for a couple of weeks now and am only getting about 4-5 shaves before the blade appears to be getting dull. I am using the triple pass method so I guess that blunts the blade quicker than a single pass? Am I doing something wrong? How often do you change your blades?

Great shave though.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I'm only getting two passes per blade, but at £0.10 per go I'm quite happy with that.
  • I stick with a two pass shave - with care that's close enough for me, certainly closer than with the Mach3 that I use when travelling - and change blades once a week, so 14 passes per blade - very much in line with yourself. Some blades are getting a bit draggy at the end of the week, some feel like they could keep going, others are dulling but still giving perfectly good shaves. However, at 10-15p per blade, changing every week only adds up to £6-7/year, which I can live with.

_
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    getting about 4-5 shaves before the blade appears to be getting dull.

That's plenty if you're getting Mon-Fri doing 3 passes out of a blade. I tend to get bored by about Wednesday and swap over :) But at 8p - 40p per blade at the worst it's not really an issue. Only have about 4 years worth of blades to work through at 2 a week...
  • Thanks chaps.

I agree we are only talking pennies and I'd rather 'splash the cash' than 'gash the tash'. Just thought from domgears post that everyone else was doing rather better than me.
  • Everyone has different thickness of stubble, you may be Bluebeard re-incarnated and comparing yourself to a wispy-chinned adolescent. Mind you, if you soften the stubble well you may get a few more shaves out of it.
  • you may be Bluebeard re-incarnated

Only when the snot rockets are mis-firing :wink:
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Mouth wrote:
    It was just a Boots one

Try this one instead:

http://www.boots.com/en/Wilkinson-Sword ... zor_29697/

I bought one of these after seeing it on ebay and ended up paying £6.50 for it. Never even thought to look in Boots.

I reckon the blades would be better quality than the Boots ones. Also, it seems a bit better balanced.

Just got one today, gonna try it tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Andy
  • Just been to a party. My memory is hazy but I think I invited a few people to come round next week and shave with me.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    Just been to a party. My memory is hazy but I think I invited a few people to come round next week and shave me.

FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • magibob
    Magibob wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Andy

BTW, Mine cost 4 euros from Muller, so about on par with Boots. Came with a pack of 5 Wilkinson Sword blades. Metal handle, but plastic top. Was a bit worried about that, but didn't seem to cause any problems.

I've used the brush and soap for lather for 30 years, but this was first my safety razor shave.

OK so, how was it? Felt good. Was really careful at first, but surprisingly nick free, and feels pretty smooth.

Having watched some youtube tips, I only did the "With the Grain" shave today, and I'll get used to that then if I need really close, I'll try the "against the grain" way. Having said that, it already feels a close as the 5 blades super cartridge one I've been paying 3 euros a blade for.

Overall, it reminded me a bit of using a tripod when taking pictures, it makes you think more and take more care, and that's part of the reason you get a better result.

If I'm still using this in a month or so, I'll put a nice one on the xmas card list. :D

Andy
  • I've given the DE razor another couple of runs out. Initially it was still bloody awkward and I swapped for my Mach 3 after half a shave. However, yesterday I swapped in a fresh blade and really took my time over it. I paid close attention to the blade angle and letting the weight of the razor do the work. I gave myself 2 passes: first with the grain and then across it.

The end result is... not bad. It's a very close shave (as 2-pass shaves tend to be) but I do feel like my face has been quite fiercely scraped. I don't know whether it's my technique or that my cheap Boots razor is horribly aggressive (can you tell by looking at it?) I'm also still having a few problems on my neck where the direction of growth changes but my face is pretty nick-free.

I'll give it another go in a few days, but may stick to just 1 pass during the week. I'm looking at vintage DE razors on eBay, there do seem to be a few of them around for less than a tenner. I guess it's a bit of a punt whether they're any good or not.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    I'm betting traditional shaving methods become more popular after watching Skyfall
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited October 2012
    Flim Flam, try One of these,

$T2eC16NHJHoE9n3Kd2J,BQbwldJn2!~~60_12.JPG

I can only recommend this one as its the only one I've used, but with good blades it is brilliant, not at all aggressive. Shaved again this morning, and 1 month in, I got a perfect result. It will only cost you £21 (about 20 Mach 3 blades worth), and if you don't like it you could easily sell it on ebay, or maybe on here (perhaps there should be a Shaving section in Classifieds :D )

There are many other good razors at this sort of price, but I chose this one for its longer handle and butterfly opening, which I feel safer with. I don't know anything about your boots razor, but I bet it is making things worse than they should be.
  • I've given the DE razor another couple of runs out. Initially it was still bloody awkward and I swapped for my Mach 3 after half a shave. However, yesterday I swapped in a fresh blade and really took my time over it. I paid close attention to the blade angle and letting the weight of the razor do the work. I gave myself 2 passes: first with the grain and then across it.

The end result is... not bad. It's a very close shave (as 2-pass shaves tend to be) but I do feel like my face has been quite fiercely scraped. I don't know whether it's my technique or that my cheap Boots razor is horribly aggressive (can you tell by looking at it?) I'm also still having a few problems on my neck where the direction of growth changes but my face is pretty nick-free.

I'll give it another go in a few days, but may stick to just 1 pass during the week. I'm looking at vintage DE razors on eBay, there do seem to be a few of them around for less than a tenner. I guess it's a bit of a punt whether they're any good or not.

Could also be the blade just doesn't match your face. I used to get really badly cut up with Gillette 7 O'clock double-edge blades, less so with most others. The Derby blades seem to be the best for me (and are *really* cheap, I pay less than a fiver for 50 off eBay).

It probably will be a bit of a punt on the vintage razors. Try a different blade, you may find you enjoy it a lot more.

Edit: And I'm still not sure why people are so scared of normal opening razors, the blade doesn't jump out and attack you.
  • ^ wot UE said, except for me, some of the other blades have worked even better than the Derby, not that any have been what I'd call bad.

As others have already said (probably UE), if you get a chance to try different blades and persevere with technique you will most likely be pleased with the results.

The big revelation to me is how varied the direction of growth is on my face. I do seem to need 3 passes to get a truely close shave, and the trick seems to be a very light touch.
  • Been looking into changing to DE razors for a while as, like most others, i'm sick of the price for the Gillette/Wilkinson Sword 5 blade replacements.

One question though. Does anyone shave anything else with the DE razors? I shave my head and it would seem silly to still have to buy both types if i changed to DE just for my face.
    You shall not pass! (Unless I'm knackered then I don't really care tbh)

Specialized Hardrock Sport 06
    Specialized Sirrus Sport 11
  • Try a different blade, you may find you enjoy it a lot more.

Edit: And I'm still not sure why people are so scared of normal opening razors, the blade doesn't jump out and attack you.

Cheers, I've just bought this sampler pack. It'll be interesting to try them all out. I may wait a bit before investing in a better razor, I get the feeling that they're something I'd need to actually hold before choosing one. Might have to do some old-school, offline shopping!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Magibob wrote:
    Magibob wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Andy

BTW, Mine cost 4 euros from Muller, so about on par with Boots. Came with a pack of 5 Wilkinson Sword blades. Metal handle, but plastic top. Was a bit worried about that, but didn't seem to cause any problems.

I've used the brush and soap for lather for 30 years, but this was first my safety razor shave.

OK so, how was it? Felt good. Was really careful at first, but surprisingly nick free, and feels pretty smooth.

Having watched some youtube tips, I only did the "With the Grain" shave today, and I'll get used to that then if I need really close, I'll try the "against the grain" way. Having said that, it already feels a close as the 5 blades super cartridge one I've been paying 3 euros a blade for.

Overall, it reminded me a bit of using a tripod when taking pictures, it makes you think more and take more care, and that's part of the reason you get a better result.

If I'm still using this in a month or so, I'll put a nice one on the xmas card list. :D

Andy
    I bought one of these cheapo Boots jobbies the other day after a month or so of using just a cut throat and it was a complete breeze. No nicks, no cuts, no faffing, i just went at like i did with the old 17 bladed nonsense and emerged 10 minutes later with the proverbial baby's backside. OH concurred. That was with full badger brush lather whipped up from Palmolive soap.

The cut throat is good but it's a performance. This makes shaving what it should be, quick, easy, efficient. Plan A now is to get a proper chrome DE razor and go from there.

C. On hols, in a bar, having a nice time. :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I can't even shave properly with my cut-throat and I'm already looking at getting another one. Some major sharpening mishaps mean that the blade is no longer a straight edge but has a big dip out of the middle. I can still get it all sharp, but I just feel that it isn't how its supposed to be.

My shopping list (which is really an Xmas pressie list) is now:
    8k whetstone
    Badger brush
    Soap and cup
    New cut-throat razor (I may be pushing my luck here)
    Skin food
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I can't even shave properly with my cut-throat and I'm already looking at getting another one. Some major sharpening mishaps mean that the blade is no longer a straight edge but has a big dip out of the middle. I can still get it all sharp, but I just feel that it isn't how its supposed to be.

My shopping list (which is really an Xmas pressie list) is now:
    8k whetstone
    Badger brush
    Soap and cup
    New cut-throat razor (I may be pushing my luck here)
    Skin food
    Some sort of commercial knife sharpener may be able to straighten it out for you.

Ref the earlier post (sorry forget who from) where do you get 20 mach 3 blades for 20 quid? nicked or summats?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think he means the equivalent number of shaves for 20 mach 3's worth.

I am watching this thread with great interest and I think my xmas list is certainly a DE razor. I HATE shaving except about at least 4 days growth as I have sensitive skin and my neck can go red if I'm not careful (my helmet strap chafes like a fekker too).

It appears to me that all aspects of this shaving routine are down to preference (heavy/light handle, type of brush, type of blade, type of lather).
    Where does one begin? I gather a 'sample' pack of blades is a good start, but re: shaving, I am not particularly hairy (I shave every other day) but I do HATE with a passion my 5 o'clock shadow on my 'tache area, so keen to get that RIGHT down.
    Would it be possible to please update the OP with some of the recommended and endorsed essentials?
  • coriordan wrote:
    Would it be possible to please update the OP with some of the recommended and endorsed essentials?

I'm obviously very new to this DE shaving business. But FWIW if I were to splash out on some kit I would get an edwin Jagger DE89L with Derby blades (alternatively from here). This seems to be a very highly rated razor (this guy gives it raves) and it is gorgeous, I mean just look at it! For £22 I'd buy one just to look at, that's barely one new tyre!

The Derby blades are also very highly rated for first time DE shavers, but the caveat is that both of these products are genrally rated as quite mild so if you have a really tough thick beard you may want to go for something else. But you could always switch to sharper blades later on, Feathers or something.
  • FWIW, I would recommend either a Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89 (both have the same head which, in my experience, is fairly mild while still being effective) - whichever you prefer (or is cheaper) - and you can probably recoup most of the outlay if you decide that it's not for you and want to sell it. Buy a 50p stick of Palmolive from Tesco*, slice it up and press into a ramekin or similar bowl. Get a Vulfix 404 brush - a bodger (boar/badger mix).

Yes, you probably want a blade selection pack but I started with the ones that Tesco sell (rebadged Personnas) and they are generally reasonably well regarded, albeit not the best, so you could always start with them while you find your feet. Steer clear of Derby blades (which may come with your razor) to begin with; they are a marmite blade - some love them, some (most?) hate them - better to start with something more neutral.

However, Connaught Shaving have the Muhle R89 at a reasonable price and do blade selection packs. Unfortunately they only stock Vulfix boars so they aren't a one-stop-shop for my recommendations...

HTH,

_

* Other supermarkets are available.
  • FJJ
    FJJ Posts: 43
    Ok, here are a few of my tried and tested recommendations for both DE and straight razor shaving. I've been using both for a while, but it's important to note that using a straight takes months of practice before you start getting really good shaves as it's all down to angles and pressure etc.

DE: I use a Merkur Futur, it's a great adjustable DE razor. In my travel bag I have a Merkur 34C, I also really like it and it gives a good shave. Blades wise I have found that Merkur blades are awful, Feathers are absolutely top notch and super sharp and Israeli DE blades from Shaving Shack are pretty decent.

Straight: I have a few including ones which I restored that are over 70 years old! Dovo are the best for a decent value new one IMHO. I much prefer a 6/8 width and use a Dovo Bismarck most of the time. You need a strop, 3" are great as you can strop back and forth rather than having to use an X pattern on a narrower strop - however until you get good use a really cheap one as you are likely to cut the first one up! You only need to get it sharpened every few months, longer if you use a separate 'pasted strop' to keep the edge keen. This can be done professionally by sending it out, or you can buy lapping films (cheap) or hones.

Pre and post shave prep: I tend to use a shaving cream as it's a bit quicker and easier to get a decent lather - my current favorite is Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort cream, but Castle Forbes is also a good one. Pre shave I use eShave oil and quite like it, Proraso pre shave cream is really good too. Afterwards I use Bluebeards Revenge balm and it's great stuff. I have a styptic pencil and alum block just in-case, but hardly need to use them these days! Brush wise I have a decent badger brush (a Kent Mk2 IIRC) and use a wee bowl to lather up in.

Hope that helps!
  • coriordan wrote:

I'm obviously very new to this DE shaving business. But FWIW if I were to splash out on some kit I would get an edwin Jagger DE89L with Derby blades (alternatively from here). This seems to be a very highly rated razor (this guy gives it raves) and it is gorgeous, I mean just look at it! For £22 I'd buy one just to look at, that's barely one new tyre!

The Derby blades are also very highly rated for first time DE shavers, but the caveat is that both of these products are genrally rated as quite mild so if you have a really tough thick beard you may want to go for something else. But you could always switch to sharper blades later on, Feathers or something.

Good shout on the razor, it's essentially the same as the one I have, just with a different handle (and now, bizarrely it's much cheaper too). The build quality is something else, really excellent, makes any other razor look cheap and nasty - shaves superbly too.

Pretty happy with Derby blades. As for the rest, you'll need a brush - I have the cheapest badger one from Shaving Shack, linked to above, it's pretty good and is lasting well. As for soap, I use Mitchell's Wool Fat. It's easy to lather and is great for the skin.

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/mitchellsrefill.html
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm obviously very new to this DE shaving business. But FWIW if I were to splash out on some kit I would get an edwin Jagger DE89L with Derby blades (alternatively from here). ...

That's pretty much exactly what I did, a couple of weeks ago. I got that razor and a sample pack of blades from
    http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/en/
    The razor looks good and works well. It's gonna take me ages to work through the sample blades to decide which I prefer, but that was the reason for looking at this DE shaving lark - I got 8 packs of 5 blades for something like £8 !
    I already had a badger brush and while waiting for my new shaving soap I bought one of those Palmolive sticks, which works perfectly well and has relegated the posh new soap to the top of the cupboard to wait its turn.
    Misguided Idealist
  • I'm obviously very new to this DE shaving business. But FWIW if I were to splash out on some kit I would get an edwin Jagger DE89L with Derby blades (alternatively from here). ...

That's pretty much exactly what I did, a couple of weeks ago. I got that razor and a sample pack of blades from
    http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/en/
    The razor looks good and works well. It's gonna take me ages to work through the sample blades to decide which I prefer, but that was the reason for looking at this DE shaving lark - I got 8 packs of 5 blades for something like £8 !
    I already had a badger brush and while waiting for my new shaving soap I bought one of those Palmolive sticks, which works perfectly well and has relegated the posh new soap to the top of the cupboard to wait its turn.

Traditional Shaving were very prompt in turning around my order. Buy any combination of razor, brush, blades and cream or soap for a starter pack discount. Use code tsr on any order for an additional 10% off.
  • magibob
    Quick update.

Been using the Cheap Wilkinson Sword DE for 2 weeks now. http://www.boots.com/en/Wilkinson-Sword ... 20niioCjCC

Blades seem to last a week or so.

Day to day, just shaving with the grain, no problems.

Tried yesterday the double shave, Once with the grain, once against the grain. Right side of face looks great, and is the smoothest shave I've ever had. Left side, very smooth, but in places, looked like a pound of badly wrapped mince.:shock: Rash cleared up after a few hours though.

I'll give it another week of "with the grain," and try it again, 'cos where it's good, it's REALLY good. :D

Andy
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I stated out with that wilkinson sword and used it for several months. I got an Edwin Jagger DE89 because it was my birthday and I liked the ivory handle - I didn't think it was going to make a big difference as I'd be using the same blades. It was a revelation - so weighty and smooth and the nicks I got from the WS were a thing of the past. It was literally a thousand percent improvement and I couldn't believe what I'd been missing out on. Where the WS presents the blade completely flat for you to determine the angle, the EJ curves the blade into the perfect angle so it feels much, much smoother.

Once you've got the hang of the WS, definitely go for an EJ which, aside from being a great razor, means you're supporting British manufacturing. The EJ post shave moisturiser is great too and a bottle lasts ages.