Are Time Trials Safe?

Trev The Rev
Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
edited November 2012 in Amateur race
Trev The Rev was an online fictional character. His posts were intended to be amusing, satirical, or wind ups. Sorry so many of you did not find him funny.

Trev The Rev did not really want time trialling banned - it was a joke. A deliberate wind up. Sorry.

I wish good luck in the future to everyone on bikeradar forum and may you all set PBs and increase your functional threshold power next season.

Trev The Rev was killed earlier this morning when out testing a new TT bike & power meter on a dual carriageway. Whilst trying to consume a gel, his tri bars slipped and he swerved into the path of a fast overtaking HGV and was killed instantly despite his wearing an aero helmet.

I realise the timing of my retirement will lead to speculation given what is currently going on in the sport but I can walk away with my head held high knowing I have done nothing wrong.

Trev.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Having a pop at a forum you are banned from by proxy now?, low, very low :roll:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Am I the only one who is baffled as to why someone would join a forum to whinge about another forum they are banned from?

I've never 'known' a forum poster so desperate for attention as Trev The Rev.
    More problems but still living....
  • danowat
    amaferanga wrote:
    Am I the only one who is baffled as to why someone would join a forum to whinge about another forum they are banned from?

I've never 'known' a forum poster so desperate for attention as Trev The Rev.

Because he has an very, very large axe to grind with the time trial forum, and those that partake in time trials.
  • Trev, is there not a forum somewhere where you can get together with other miserable whiners and have a good moan about this, that and the other and have everyone agree with you about how awful all the things are that you're moaning about? Would seem to be a more appropriate place for your posts than coming to cycling forums to post anti-cycling sentiments.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I think time trials can be dangerous. Particularly those that take place on dual carriageways very early in the morning. The last thing a Polish truck driver is expecting to see at 7am, on what in his country is considered a motorway, is a cyclist. And they’re particularly tricky to spot if you’re watching a DVD and drinking your fourth can of super lager.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev, is there not a forum somewhere where you can get together with other miserable whiners and have a good moan about this, that and the other and have everyone agree with you about how awful all the things are that you're moaning about? Would seem to be a more appropriate place for your posts than coming to cycling forums to post anti-cycling sentiments.

Tarmac,

You are one of the few people on timetrialling forum I respect. Good luck in the future.

Cheers.

Trev.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I think time trials can be dangerous. Particularly those that take place on dual carriageways very early in the morning. The last thing a Polish truck driver is expecting to see at 7am, on what in his country is considered a motorway, is a cyclist. And they’re particularly tricky to spot if you’re watching a DVD and drinking your fourth can of super lager.

:lol:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I think perhaps all road racing should be banned then, hell even a pro with no traffic to contend with has had an extended stay in hospital for crashing recently. What about all the people that partake in mass participation rides, I think they should be banned as well, as most of them seem to race for time standards, hell why we are at it what about Audax riders they battle against the clock as well and might partake in a few risks to get inside the cutoff time.

Next it will be commuters, because as we know alot of them like racing to work, and getting scalps, now where does it end hey, even training rides racing for Strava segments is dangerous no doubt.

Trev why don't you just concern yourself with your life and not worry about trying to force your opinions on other people, no matter how different to your views. If you think TTing is dangerous don't do it, like I think jumping out of a perfectly serviceable plane is stupid, hence I don't do it, but I don't go on parachute forums slagging them off.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    As has been said on the TTF about the o.p
    DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!!
    Get a life/grip Trev and go whinge somewhere else.....like a dark cupboard on your own-where you can debate about the safety of turning on the light or not....
  • Ec0
    Ec0 Posts: 24
    I was starting to think people had been a little harsh on you in the other post you made on this board but that thought has kind of dissipated now after reading this. You are quite obviously posting to get a reaction rather than just being a bit naive as I first thought.

As with pretty much all things on the roads, your common sense is required and taking a risk is at the drivers/riders discretion and does not require more input from the health and safety brigade wielding a ban hammer.

And it used to be banned anyway and people still did it, at least the current way allows for organisations such as BC to supply insurances and legal cover, something which would not happen if it was a banned activity.

But while you're still here can you describe the attraction of constant trolling on internet forums? It seems to be everywhere but I don't really see what the attraction is.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Trev the troll.
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    This was posted today on timetrialling forum.This is exactly why time trialling on open roads should be banned. Timetriallists are a danger to themselves & other road users.

Steps back to accept ban.

1. No, but I can't but think at some point authorities might try especially on what are perceived to be busy fast roads.
    2. YES that is correct to quite a large degree that testers probably won't want to admit to. There is some appalling riding, I was marshalling recently and observed yet again reasons why riders are hit from behind.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • dave35
    Team4luke, although some riders do have trouble riding in a straight line,there is no excuse for a car to hit a cyclist from behind
  • Trev The Rev
    Team4Luke wrote:
    This was posted today on timetrialling forum.This is exactly why time trialling on open roads should be banned. Timetriallists are a danger to themselves & other road users.

Steps back to accept ban.

1. No, but I can't but think at some point authorities might try especially on what are perceived to be busy fast roads.
    2. YES that is correct to quite a large degree that testers probably won't want to admit to. There is some appalling riding, I was marshalling recently and observed yet again reasons why riders are hit from behind.

I have done time trials on the A50 and was touched on the shoulder by an HGV which moved back in long before it had passed me, pushing me onto the hard shoulder. I have marshaled on that course and seeing how fast traffic travels and how fast cars are overtaking other cars and lorries which are overtaking cyclists, it amazes me there are not more tragedies. I often pass events on the A50 and the cyclists are all over the road, particularly near the start and finish. They take daft risks on the roundabouts and many drift out into the lane unexpectedly. Others overtake slower riders without checking to see if there is any fast approaching traffic from behind.

I did my best to get my local club to stop holding events on the A50. Despite some support, at least for me to be allowed to express my opinion, nasty argument and the resignation of the time trial secretary and a race organiser due to lack of support from club members, the Committee decided to continue to hold events on the A50 and I was blamed for the resignations. This was before the death of Carl Austin in a time trial on the A50. Events are still held on the A50.

Time triallists are racing, they take risks, they become fatigued and their judgement is impaired. They are a danger to themselves and other road users.

My opinion is that the time has come for time trials to be moved to closed circuits or closed roads.

I am a cyclist, I have not done a time trial for a few years now but probably will do some in the future on a closed circuit. I commute every day and still do a training loop on the way home a few times a week.

As a cyclist I am entitled to express my views on cycling forums. I resent being called a troll and will not be bullied off this forum.
  • dave35
    Trev, you won't get bullied off here...might get kicked off though.
    I respect your opinion,but it's not the same opinion as others-and no amount of stamping and screaming is going to change peoples thoughts about time trialling.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The mistake you're making Rev is in thinking that just because you're 'shouting' the loudest then people must take notice of you. You've joined this forum with a clear agenda and instantly p!ssed people off.

I for one don't take internet forums too seriously so when someone comes along with your kind of attitude I just hope they get bored quickly and go bang their drum elsewhere. No-one ever changed anything through an internet cycling forum.
    More problems but still living....
  • danowat
    amaferanga wrote:
    I for one don't take internet forums too seriously so when someone comes along with your kind of attitude I just hope they get bored quickly and go bang their drum elsewhere.

Wouldn't hold you breath on that one, Mr Trev has form, a lot of form............

His opinion is the only one that count's, and he starts screaming bully if you don't agree......
  • Pross
    Out of interest does anyone know how many people compete in time trials each year and how many fatalities / live changing injuries (or even collisions with other road users) occur? There must be thousands of rides each week in open events alone without adding in club events. It seems to me it's just a perception that time trials are dangerous because they have traditionally been held on fast dual carriageway courses. There may be some courses that should be banned (those with slip roads joining along the route are a concern IMHO) but in many cases riding on dual carriageways provides cyclists with more space than riding on narrow country roads and I don't feel they are inherently unsafe. The turns are really the most vulnerable part and some riders do take unnecessary risks there rather than lose a few seconds.
  • danowat
    88 cycling fatalities so far this year http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy ... 313260.ece

I'm not sure (please correct if wrong), but I think only 1 was related to time trialling.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    danowat wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    I for one don't take internet forums too seriously so when someone comes along with your kind of attitude I just hope they get bored quickly and go bang their drum elsewhere.

Wouldn't hold you breath on that one, Mr Trev has form, a lot of form............

His opinion is the only one that count's, and he starts screaming bully if you don't agree......
    Has no one managed to track this clown down yet and "beat" some sense into him, he is very annoying, and I fear Danowat is quite correct he looks like a stayer, lets hope the mods ban sooner rather than later. And they need to do an IP address ban, not just his email address.
  • Team4Luke
    dave35 wrote:
    Team4luke, although some riders do have trouble riding in a straight line,there is no excuse for a car to hit a cyclist from behind

Absolutely.
    But it's reality we have to deal with and we can not do anything about vehicles, the TT world does a lot of winging about marshalls, lights, DC, SC etc etc and really we should do more to put our own house in order or at least add some balance to the argument.
    Riders wobbling are increasing their chances of being hit and those that ride in the middle of a lane probably even moreso, some riders look like their going to have a heart attack at the end of a TT and they are just not in full control of their bike or mind, I don't know whether their just not fit enough or just pushing themselves to the edge of exhaustion or even bike TT bars position that just lessens the balance of the front end, the rider I identified was a youngster finishing he was duly shouted at by me, whether he heard I don't know.
    Point being all please think about your riding style and position on the road and at turns and when passing riders and experienced riders please offer your club mates advice.
  • Team4Luke
    Pross wrote:
    Out of interest does anyone know how many people compete in time trials each year and how many fatalities / live changing injuries (or even collisions with other road users) occur? There must be thousands of rides each week in open events alone without adding in club events. It seems to me it's just a perception that time trials are dangerous because they have traditionally been held on fast dual carriageway courses. There may be some courses that should be banned (those with slip roads joining along the route are a concern IMHO) but in many cases riding on dual carriageways provides cyclists with more space than riding on narrow country roads and I don't feel they are inherently unsafe. The turns are really the most vulnerable part and some riders do take unnecessary risks there rather than lose a few seconds.

it's just different types of dangers on the fast roads v minor/country ones, just that on SC/DC vehicles can be doing well beyond the speed limits for those, so say it's 50mph road we all know cars will be doing at least 60mph if not more together with the larger vehicle sizes that may use the road. The consideration is being hit at those speeds or even re-hit !
  • Team4Luke
    Trev, do respect what your saying and attempt to make a stance but as above advice an internet forum won't change things.
    Just steady down a bit, your views and common sense are overshadowed by your "red mist".
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm not sure why people call Trev a troll. I should declare an interest here because I know him (as in real life not via a forum) but he's just expressing the same opinions here he has elsewhere. People are free to disagree or ignore as they see fit but I think banning would be totally uncalled for.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Trev The Rev
    I'm not sure why people call Trev a troll. I should declare an interest here because I know him (as in real life not via a forum) but he's just expressing the same opinions here he has elsewhere. People are free to disagree or ignore as they see fit but I think banning would be totally uncalled for.

Tom,

Thanks for this.

I'm finally 'outed' as a real person.

Trev.
  • Pross
    edited October 2012
    Team4Luke wrote:
    it's just different types of dangers on the fast roads v minor/country ones, just that on SC/DC vehicles can be doing well beyond the speed limits for those, so say it's 50mph road we all know cars will be doing at least 60mph if not more together with the larger vehicle sizes that may use the road. The consideration is being hit at those speeds or even re-hit !

But the fact remains that fatalities and serious accidents in TTs are (thankfully) rare and, as with cycling in general, the perception of risk is far higher than the realities.
  • Trev The Rev
    In recent years there have been 2 or 3 fatalities each year, Almost all on dual carriageways. Not all are hit from behind. Some are where the rider rode into the back of a vehicle. You would have to contact CTT for the full figures.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    So less than horse riding, crossing the road, driving a car, taking a bath, making some dinner....etc...ban it all and live in padded rooms for life.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    In recent years there have been 2 or 3 fatalities each year, Almost all on dual carriageways. Not all are hit from behind. Some are where the rider rode into the back of a vehicle. You would have to contact CTT for the full figures.

And this is what as a percentage of people taking part?
  • Team4Luke
    DavidJB wrote:
    So less than horse riding, crossing the road, driving a car, taking a bath, making some dinner....etc...ban it all and live in padded rooms for life.

the difference being though that none of above is "sport" on the public highway and in some cases deliberately taking place on the fastest/dangerous roads possible, that is exactly how it will be viewed by any authority attempting to reduce what we do, not saying will occur but we do need to take a least a long look at what we do and where we do it, those that are not with us now, their spouse may not take kindly to how you have framed above. It doesn't make it right.