My turn for a tumble

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,300
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Got doored on the way home. Passing traffic on the Kingston one way some daft bint opened the passenger door of a car right in front of me. No time to react, the top corner of the door tore a large hole in my bicep, I've broken a finger and may have done my ribs. Ouch!
Now lying in St George's hoping they can operate on my hand and arm tomorrow.
Bollocks!

Comments

• Veronese68 wrote:
    Got doored on the way home. Passing traffic on the Kingston one way some daft bint opened the passenger door of a car right in front of me. No time to react, the top corner of the door tore a large hole in my bicep, I've broken a finger and may have done my ribs. Ouch!
    Bollocks!

Bollocks indeed, and Ouch indeed! Horrible bit of road that.

Hope it looks better in the Mourning and we see you soon in the park.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bollocks!

Bollocks indeed, and Ouch indeed! Horrible bit of road that.

Hope it looks better in the Mourning and we see you soon in the park.

Nice typo!

Utter bollocks Veronese! Car dooring petrifies me. Hope it's all sorted and you got details / witnesses. It's a specific offence to open a car door on a cyclist but CPS very rarely use it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Ouchie! Hope that there's not too much pain & that you're back on two wheels soon.
    Asprilla wrote:
    [...] Car dooring petrifies me. [...]
    Likewise; thankfully I rarely pass stationary traffic on my commute; traffic-island squeeze is my main risk.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Blimey! Which bit of road?? Did you obtain her details, etc?

How are you feeling this morning?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    That sucks dude. Get better soon and hope you got their details.
  • veronese68
    Police got details, several people stopped to help. May have seen Asprilla as I was sat in the back of the ambulance. Between the end of the tunnel and TGIs.
    I don't think they'll prosecute, it was the passenger door of a car in the right hand lane. Luckily I'd just set off from the lights so not too fast. No time to react at all, hit the back edge of the door, the top corner has put a deep cut in my arm and I have to have the muscle stitched together under general. I could post a picture later.
  • Ouch! Heal well.

Now, on to the important stuff. How's the bike? :wink:
  • veronese68
    Ouch! Heal well.

Now, on to the important stuff. How's the bike? :wink:
    Ta, no idea about the bike. My right hand and arm took the brunt of it. So right shifter may be fubared. Police took it home and offered to drive my boy to a party he was going to. Top blokes.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Sounds horrible. Hope you're on the mend and the hospital food isn't too bad.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    I'm nil by mouth due to impending surgery. And bloody starving. :(
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    msmancunia wrote:

Hospital Food is a great song. Don't dis it! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bloody hell, that sounds grim! Hope you heal fast.
    Marmalade
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    ... the top corner of the door tore a large hole in my bicep, I've broken a finger and may have done my ribs. Ouch!

Ooooh! That was a sentence that made the back of my bollocks tingle (and not in a good way!).

Heal up soon and I hope you're back on the bike toot sweet. I can empathise on the ribs front, I broke one earlier this year and it ached for a bit, but rest assured it healed up fairly easily and is 100% better now.
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    I'm nil by mouth due to impending surgery. And bloody starving. :(

Might not be a bad thing. I was in after a big car crash years ago and tried to pour a metal pot of gravy on to a sunday dinner. It bounced on to the plate like a jelly because someone had been too heavy handed with the cornflour. :? My wonderful dad ended up bringing me corned beef hash and stews in a flask for me after that.

Hope your surgery goes well - am sure they'll fix you up good as new.
  • Wow - really really sorry to hear this - hope you get the surgery quick and get fighting fit very soon!

I'm so glad I don't have this risk on my commute - seen it happen in Cambridge so many times but never got caught myself. The only place I have the risk is where a cycle path passes a lay by - I'm scared that a truck will open its door and catch me in the head - I'm always very circumspect

Get well soon!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    Padders wrote:
    Bloody hell, that sounds grim! Hope you heal fast.
    Hope I heal as fast as you. Doubt I'd be allowed rollers though. How are you now?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Ow ow ow ow ow. Sounds very nasty. Hope you get out of hospital and on the mend soon
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • GWS. Let us know how it goes.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • were you wearing a helmet?
  • were you wearing a helmet?
    Ha ha. That's what people kept asking me when I had a fooked ankle.

Sounds nasty, but you also sound pretty chipper all things considered. I think this is because you have not been able to eat the hospital food yet. It really isn't good.

Get well soon mate - sounds all very sore but perfectly fixable. Use the time off to let other bits of you heal up. And think - by the time you are back on your bike, you'll be looking forward to spring!
  • veronese68
    I was wearing a lid. Unfortunately it survived intact. Shame because it's horrible. Might get a new one anyway.
    I started wearing one to stop the wife worrying. It'll be full body armour next.
    Still no food or surgery.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    It's specifically illegal to open a car door into the path of a moving vehicle, so I do hope they prosecute...

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/ever-bee ... y-illegal/
  • get well soon sir, sure you will be back on the bike in plenty of time to catch the grim cold dark months!
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've had helmets replaced as a default course of action, even when I wouldn;t have said it needed it.

If you think the helmet hit the car or the floor then ask them to replace it.

Glad you're okay though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Eesh, car doors petrify me... All that effort they do to make bonnets pedestian friendly (even pedestrian airbags now) and still the top corner of most car doors is a rear facing dagger at cyclist throat height.....

Glad it's not worse fella. Heal well.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    edited September 2012
    One. High as a kite. Want to go home now.

Edit: That should have read "done". I really was off my tits.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Eeek - get well soon dude!
  • veronese68
    thanks for all the comments. Had my finger wired and my arm put back together yesterday afternoon, got home last night. Slept well, doped up to the eyeballs. My arm is strapped up to the elbow, seems excessive for a middle finger, but it's a bad break just below the knuckle.
    cast.jpg
    There is a picture of the hole in my arm here, not for the squeamish.
    I don't feel too bad, but will be off the bike for a while. Got to go and get my hand looked at on Wednesday. I've got BC membership and will use it as I don't know if functionality of my hand will be restored fully. Haven't looked at the bike yet. I want to but my wife is fretting and it's not like I can ride it yet.
    Be careful out there.
  • That photo is DEFINITELY not for the squeamish!!!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    That photo is DEFINITELY not for the squeamish!!!

Seconded! Jesus! Sending you down some virtual flowers and e-grapes from the North - get well soon.