Your Fav' Real Ales

Comments

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Couple of local beers-Hartington by Whim Ales-pale with a hint of elderflowers
    Derby Brewing Co-Business As Usual-fine bitter and very moreish.As tested last night.
    BTW Derby has some of best drinking pubs in the country if you are ever this way.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    My 4 favourite ales are Cornish, in no order:
    Tribute (St Austell)
    Doombar (Sharpes)
    Betty Stoggs (Skinners)
    Cornish Knocker (Skinners)

A tip of the hat to Otter Ale as well (can't get on with the other ones they do; Bright etc.)

I was a student in Manchester and first got in to ale drinking via Jekyll's Gold by the Hydes Brewery - beautiful drink.
  • The best beers I've had are from Purple Moose Brewery in Porthmadog. The Glaslyn is possibly the best beer I have ever had.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    The best beers I've had are from Purple Moose Brewery in Porthmadog. The Glaslyn is possibly the best beer I have ever had.

Really spooky - I'm drinking that now as I read this post! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • At risk of starting craft v real ale and the whether CAMRA condone it....

Brewdog 5am saint - http://www.brewdog.com/beer/5am-saint

Brewdog Punk IPA - http://www.brewdog.com/beer/punk-ipa

Brewdog Paradox Jura http://www.brewdog.com/product/paradox-jura

Orkney Dark Island Reserve - http://www.sinclairbreweries.co.uk/spec ... serve.html

Red Willow Faithless XIV - http://www.redwillowbrewery.com/

Schneider Weisse - http://www.schneider-weisse.de/index.ph ... 8766057157

Thronbridge Versa, Jaipur and Bracia
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Not a big fan of Doombar myself, find it a bit like sherbet.

+1

Doombar has to be the most overrated ale IMO.
    Mañana
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I loved DoomBar when Iwas down at Dartmoor, but I wonder whether the weekend of biking influenced my impressions. Certainly the bottled stuff is good but not spectacular.

I can remember loving Summer Lightning from student days in The Hobbit. And my first Old Peculiar!

Are people on here comparing bottled beers, or hand-pulled pints?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Many fine ales listed above. I forgot to mention Naked Ladies, what's not to like? Tastes good and I like ordering it. Twickenham brewery do a few nice beers.
  • I prefer lighter golden ales to porters but winter will soon be upon us and the ale will darken accordiingly.

Got Gent to look forward to in a few weeks. I love Judas.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Any beer made by George Wright in warrington is a must !

Trouble is getting some more, always sells out, too many real ale twats :wink:
  • DC Ayr
    DC Ayr Posts: 33
    Another vote for TT Landlord,

plus Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted - great name, great beer.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I always used to hanker after Doom Bar, because it was so rare to see it east of the Tamar. It's everywhere now, including the pub ten doors up from my house, and it's one of my favourites but not quite so 'special'. Incidentally, it's "Doom Bar" - named after a sandbank, not a drinking-bar. I'm a big fan of Ringwood (where my OH is from) and various others.

Session ales: Ringwood Best, Fullers London Pride, Doom Bar
    Specials: Ringwood Old Thumper, Fullers ESB, Adnams Broadside (possibly my favourite of all).
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    It’s such a golden age for beer that it’s easier to say which beers I don’t like, rather than try to list my favourites. :)

2. Green King beers. There’s something in the taste (the yeast, maybe?) that I just can’t stand. Furthermore, all of the supposed guest beers in GK pubs have the same tang, so I think that’s conclusive proof of “badge-engineering brewing” going on in their pubs. I can recall a time when Abbot, for example, was a nice pint, but not anymore. Not for me anyway.

+1 to this. GK beer is pish. Adnams beers, however are outstanding. I'll also agree with you that smaller volume beers are generally better value. Fullers London Pride in my local is £3.35, but a local micro (Flower Pots) sell their beer just up the road at well under £3. And it is superb, especially after a long bike ride.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    It’s such a golden age for beer that it’s easier to say which beers I don’t like, rather than try to list my favourites. :)

2. Green King beers. There’s something in the taste (the yeast, maybe?) that I just can’t stand. Furthermore, all of the supposed guest beers in GK pubs have the same tang, so I think that’s conclusive proof of “badge-engineering brewing” going on in their pubs. I can recall a time when Abbot, for example, was a nice pint, but not anymore. Not for me anyway.

+1 to this. GK beer is pish. Adnams beers, however are outstanding. I'll also agree with you that smaller volume beers are generally better value. Fullers London Pride in my local is £3.35, but a local micro (Flower Pots) sell their beer just up the road at well under £3. And it is superb, especially after a long bike ride.

Have you been into BitterVirtue in Southampton. Stacks and stacks of beer. Whole section of Belgian beers at the back of the shop.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Yes, but not for a while. Excellent shop and they really know their stuff. The Southwick Brewhouse is much closer for me. Almost exclusively UK beer, but a great selection.
    For Belgian beer, I normally go to Belgium. The beer is way cheaper, even with the fuel costs.
    Ecrasez l’infame

I went to a real ale festival - well to do it justice it was a real ale, sausage and pie festival, and you're right the Wright stuff went fast - they had a checklist of ales to try and I wanted to try one of his blondes(message to self - concentrate, concentrate). The best I've tried is from a micro brewery in Liverpool called the Baltic Fleet, they used to do a lovely beer called Blonde Weiss. It was one of those drinks you'd walk miles for
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Particular favourites are most of Honiton's Otter brewery (especially Otter Bright) and Rooster's beers from Knaresborough.

Talk of Taylor's Landlord, and with winter around the corner, reminds me that Ram Tam is an old favourite - it's a mixture of Landlord and Dark Mild. Taylor's say it's "a dark, strong beer that has a reputation as a 'Winter Warmer'. Wholesome and satisfying, this mellow beer has body and depth, leaving a pleasant fruity afterglow".

Personally I'd say it's more like drinking a mixture of liquified liquirice alsorts and bonfire toffee diluted in strong vodka.

Bob
  • +1 for Rooster's. Yankee and Scorcher are both excellent. Are Rooster's still going? I thought they had quit, looking for a new challenge.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    +1 for Rooster's. Yankee and Scorcher are both excellent. Are Rooster's still going? I thought they had quit, looking for a new challenge.

They're still very much alive and were re-branded recenty.

They don't seem to brew "Jak's" anymore which is a shame as it was a favourite.

Bob
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    No mention of Deuchars IPA yet? you are missing something.

Had a Pint of Morlands last night and heading off to the regional winner of the CAMRA award tonight in Tillicoultry...
  • Mmm...Scottish ales...
    Deuchars IPA is indeed a great ale. An also great cask beer from Scotland is Harviestoun Schiehallion (a lager) and Orkney beers are always worth seeking out. Skullsplitter, anyone?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Just had 2 bottles, strong with a hint of whiskey - time for a kip now.
    festive-splendour-the-christmas-gift-box-from-innis-and-gunn-400.jpg

I'm a bit of light-weight these days :?

I went to a real ale festival - well to do it justice it was a real ale, sausage and pie festival, and you're right the Wright stuff went fast - they had a checklist of ales to try and I wanted to try one of his blondes(message to self - concentrate, concentrate). The best I've tried is from a micro brewery in Liverpool called the Baltic Fleet, they used to do a lovely beer called Blonde Weiss. It was one of those drinks you'd walk miles for

Cleat, if you ever on the 'dark side'- The Magazine' in New Brighton on the sea front always (nearly) has GW ales on, btw he delivers them hiself-- The Baltic Fleet ....very fine selection of belgium beer...had a bad whitey after getting greedy in there a few years ago, crawling around albert dock leaving a trail........
  • LankyDJ
    LankyDJ Posts: 44
    Amazed no one has mentioned moorhouses, their ale is fantastic. A particular favourite being "Pride of Pendle"

Also a new micro brewery has popped up locally in an old ironworks. Keep an eye out for anything from Irwell Works Brewery, brilliant range of ale.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    My current faves are:

Adnams Gun hill
    Skinners Heligan honey
    Badger Fursty Ferret
    Wells Bombadier
    Youngs Bitter
    Youngs Directors
    Sharps Doom Bar

I could go on and on and on :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    Used to play a lot of rugby around the Wiltshire area when I was at Uni and loved Wadworth 6X from Devizes.
    Also partial to Hook Norton's Old Hooky (made sure I got a few crates to stash behind the bar at my wedding)
    Fuller's London Pride when I lived in London.
    Doom Bar is a recent fave and am also a big fan of Wells Bombardier.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Verbal wrote:
    Used to play a lot of rugby around the Wiltshire area when I was at Uni and loved Wadworth 6X from Devizes.

6X - sublime at the Brewery tap, very good at "The Bear", but the further it travels, the worse it gets. :(
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Tyneside Blonde for the summer, Ouseburn Porter for the winter.

Although any of the Orkney ales will do as a change..
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I don't want to think about beer right now thanks, since I am on a break from alcohol for health reasons! (Warfarin treatment - I am allowed to drink within the govt. guidelines, but who would want to do that? If I'm drinking, I like to have a few otherwise I'd rather do without.)

When I was drinking, I used to try lots of different beers. My local store always has a good selection.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Don't really drink it