Kimmage and the UCI

Comments

• And...Kimmage had just joined Twitter - @PaulKimmage.

Between him and Walsh, for Fat Pat and Verbruggen the Twitter s$%t has just got very real
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    with this as his avatar

ee861c4b0f6f3868bc782db32cc702cd.jpeg

Like him or loath him you have to admire his balls!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's not going to be posting though, which is a pity.

His first and last in there. The one for Hein is amusing
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Yeah, just clocked that.

Oh, he can be a right pain but he does have beachball-size cojones - and probably Lance's missing one, for good measure

his latest 2 tweets:

'To Hein Verbruuggen, a question: Does this ring a bell?'

followed by:

'"J'ai les moyens de vous faire un coureur positif quand je veux'"

:shock:

(well doesnt really surprise me as there seems little now that Verbruggen and McQuaid aren't capable of, but even so)
  • Google translate: "I can afford to give you a positive runner when I want"

Is this a faithful translation? I'm guessing something is lost. Anyone enlighten?
  • The correct translation would be: I have the means to find you a positive rider whenever I want
  • iainf72 wrote:
    He's not going to be posting though, which is a pity.

His first and last in there. The one for Hein is amusing

Just in:

PaulKimmage 7:47pm via Web

@DavidWalshST a mentor and best friend since 1982 informs me I have a duty to those who have supported me to keep tweeting.
  • Interestingly, for something so apparently detrimental to their reputations, they appear to be pursuing him for a relatively insignificant amount in damages (about €8,000 each), though legal costs will inflate that. I guess it's all about the score on their cards, as they move through the hierarchy of world sport. Oh, and maybe as a warning to others to keep their mouths shut.

I guess also that the financial risk is too great for the UCI to go up against a larger, better-funded opponent such as a major international publishing company.

good explanation on www.redkiteprayer.com
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The Kimmage Defence Fund collecting money is now on the front of the Sport's homepage on the Sunday Times website, makes it feel sort of more 'proper' now to me...

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    NRS_Comp1 wrote:
    The correct translation would be: I have the means to find you a positive rider whenever I want

Nope.... the correct translation is: " I have the means to make a you a positive rider whenever I want"

In other words "I can destroy you by saying you had a positive test."
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    One more question, then I'm off for the evening.

WHY are the UCI suing the messenger?

(oh sorry, two more questions.........)

WHEN are they going to get down to the real thing? The USADA/WADA thing? The stripping LA of his titles thing? The suspense is getting to me, and all my relatives who know that I'm devoted to Procycling are saying "Lance has been stripped..........". No! He hasn't!

:?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Lichtblick wrote:
    One more question, then I'm off for the evening.

WHY are the UCI suing the messenger?

Because that's what bullies do - pick on those least able to defend themselves.
  • As Mad Rapper says. If they try to sue the Sunday Times and l'Equipe, the publishers will enlist an army of very expensive lawyers who will rip the UCI's case to shreds
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    as Mad Rapper says - if they try to sue the Sunday Times and l'Equipe, the publishers will enlist an army of very expensive lawyers who will rip the UCI's case to shreds

Not sure they have that much cash left.

It is odd.

Not sure what they want to get out of this and what value they see in doing it?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Did i see things, but did i read that Pat McQuaid has just said "That doping in cycling is not our fault" ???? WTF ...how the hell can he still be in the top job in cycling.
  • iainf72

http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/09/the-ex ... wont-work/
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/09/the-ex ... wont-work/

Right.

Lance did similar.

But surely this stuff has meant it's backfired?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mfin wrote:
    The Kimmage Defence Fund

Mrs Kimmage is browsing bathroom catalogues as we speak.

"Another £1500 and we can get a jacuzzi, Paul"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    The Kimmage Defence Fund

I think if the Sunday Times put any backing behind that fund then they'd be on very risky ground if the funds were used for anything other than what it infers... in light of all the criticism of the UCI etc?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    The Kimmage Defence Fund

I think if the Sunday Times put any backing behind that fund then they'd be on very risky ground if the funds were used for anything other than what it infers... in light of all the criticism of the UCI etc?

I wasn't being serious. But I do wonder where this money is going to actually end up as I don't expect this case to ever see a courtroom. It's just two Irishmen having a fight. Happens all the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Even in Switzerland?

I doubt most irishmen could afford to get p!ssed there, let alone fight.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Rick,

I think Fat 'Corrupt Slimy W@nker' McQuaid has found $25,000 down the back of his Sofa in US currency in an envelope marked 'For anti-doping stuff, your mate L.A.'.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    symo wrote:
    Rick,

I think Fat 'Corrupt Slimy W@nker' McQuaid has found $25,000 down the back of his Sofa in US currency in an envelope marked 'For anti-doping stuff, your mate L.A.'.

I wish I'd said that. Not in quite those words, but nevertheless.
  • rick_chasey
    I wonder if Kimmage will illegally check McCaid's voicemail to get an advantage...

Something about this whole Kimmage Walsh mutual blow doesn't sit entirely right with me.
  • I wonder if Kimmage will illegally check McCaid's voicemail to get an advantage...

Something about this whole Kimmage Walsh mutual blow doesn't sit entirely right with me.

It's not really about Kimmage though. It's about the UCI trying to bully journalists into silence by picking on a high profile easy target (Kimmage doesn't have the finances to defend himself) . They didn't sue the publications that carried his articles because that would be expensive and carry the risk they might actually defend themselves,eve successfully.

Don't forget Walsh has been sued before as well, by Armstrong. I can see a lot of reasons why he'd want to back Kimmage in this fight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    I wonder if Kimmage will illegally check McCaid's voicemail to get an advantage...

I think it's like Walsh said, they waited until Kimmage was out of work before starting action.

I know your dutch blood means you have some admiration for Hein :P
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758

Are you talking conspiracies? witch hunt?
  • Personally I'm getting a little uneasy about the direction in which the Walsh-Kimmage love-in could be going - and how it could be used as a platform for a host of personal agendas.

There's already hints of social media going all pseudo McCarthy, with demands to pick sides, promote the 'Fund' and/or donate to it - wiith the intimation that if you dont, then you're pro-UCI - or against 'us' - or just plain cowards. You can already see some media scrambling to avoid labelling or adverse commentary, and you can already see the start of journos being singled out for censure for having written pro-Lance, or anti-his critics over the years.

Meanwhile there's an awful lot of back-slapping going on in some quarters.

I think this is going to get ugly - and I dont just mean for Armstrong, Bruyneel and the UCI.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    edited September 2012
    Personally I'm getting a little uneasy about the direction in which the Walsh-Kimmage love-in could be going - and how it could be used as a platform for a host of personal agendas.

There's already hints of social media going all pseudo McCarthy, with demands to pick sides, promote the 'Fund' and/or donate to it - wiith the intimation that if you dont, then you're pro-UCI - or against 'us' - or just plain cowards. You can already see some media scrambling to avoid labelling or adverse commentary, and you can already see the start of journos being singled out for censure for having written pro-Lance, or anti-his critics over the years.

Meanwhile there's an awful lot of back-slapping going on in some quarters.

I think this is going to get ugly - and I dont just mean for Armstrong, Bruyneel and the UCI.

No one is forcing you to donate or choose sides! Me thinks this is exactly the pressure required for UCI reform. If there's no public outrage, nothing will happen.
  • Kimmage has my support. The UCI is a shambolic organisation which has allowed pro cycling to plunge the very depths of depravity.

Kimmage must be helped to fight these bullies.