Kimmage and the UCI

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited October 2012 in Pro race
According to David Walsh's twitter feed today, Kimmage got sub-peona'd yday to be in Swiss court on Dec 12 - UCI still pursuing him for damages, public apology etc for remarks he made about McQuaid and Vebruggen.

This against the background of the USADA report about to land AND Hamilton's book.

WTF? This takes rearranging the deckchairs onto a stratospheric level

BTW David Walsh is @DavidWalshST - looks like he tweeted to the first time yday and the tweets are pouring out now....

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Walsh spent the day with Hamilton so I guess we'll see an article soon.

Which will be nice
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Were I a rich man, I should be very happy to personally fund Kimmage's legal bills. He deserves to be backed. McQuaid is a fat, corrupt sh*t and I hope he suffers a spectacular down fall.

Odious cnut.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm not the biggest fan of Kimmage persoanlly but his work certainly does stand on his own feed. Not the smartest of moves by the UCI.

I do hope Kimmage certainly does get rallied behind though.

Now is certainly the time for riders to speak out and move on.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    News international still have a bit of cash left....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

Which will be nice
    I'm still waiting for him to write about widespread steroids in rugby, but I guess those delicious canapes he gets served at Twickenham distract him from 16+ stone wingers running sub 11s 100m.

I'm also waiting for him to speak out about phone hacking at News International in the same way he expects the likes of Wiggins to speak out.

Everyone makes compromises. Everyone has their own little omertas. But just as long as Walsh has his Armstrong drum he's going to keep banging it and people will flock to the beat.

I'm just not as impressed by him as his many accolytes, I'm afraid. He's like a one hit wonder singing the same song over and over again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^Interestingly contraversial....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ddraver wrote:

I know, the canapés at the Millennium Stadium are miles better!
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I know, the canapés at the Millennium Stadium are miles better!
    Clark's pies. He's missing out. Besides, he's a London journo, he gets a rash if moves outside the M25.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    He must have a permanent rash then, given he lives in Cambridge.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST
    Hamilton told a couple of stories about a certain teammate that you couldn't even tell on twitter! Call me on my private line!
  • skylla wrote:
    Hamilton told a couple of stories about a certain teammate that you couldn't even tell on twitter! Call me on my private line!

the tease
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    skylla wrote:

the tease

I think I know that story...

... Apparently, a US Postal rider (who shall remain nameless, in case I get sued for damaging his forthcoming memoirs) failed to take some drugs before a race in 2001.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Which will be nice
    I'm still waiting for him to write about widespread steroids in rugby, but I guess those delicious canapes he gets served at Twickenham distract him from 16+ stone wingers running sub 11s 100m.

I'm also waiting for him to speak out about phone hacking at News International in the same way he expects the likes of Wiggins to speak out.

Everyone makes compromises. Everyone has their own little omertas. But just as long as Walsh has his Armstrong drum he's going to keep banging it and people will flock to the beat.

I'm just not as impressed by him as his many accolytes, I'm afraid. He's like a one hit wonder singing the same song over and over again.

He's a sports writer no? Why should he write about phone-hacking? Seems odd to criticise him for not applying as much scrutiny to Rugby. I'm sure that doping in Rugby is just as unpalatable, but on nothing like the scale of cycling's problems.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    He must have a permanent rash then, given he lives in Cambridge.

Really?

As in actually in Cambridge? As opposed to people who say they live in Cambridge when they actually live in Peterborough?

Surprised I haven't seen him around.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Which will be nice

Does the doping in rugby bother you?
  • “The question is this: why would UCI go after Kimmage and not go after Tyler Hamilton and publishers of The Secret Race?”
    Mmmm. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    A support fund for Kimmages legal costs has been set up.

1 - Yes, I know its cyclismas but velonation are in on the act too
    2- No, its not a joke - about $3.5K donated since last night
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    LangerDan wrote:

I can't see any link to a fund on that page?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LangerDan wrote:

I can't see any link to a fund on that page?

Directly under the photo of Kimmage looking to pick a fight, there is a "ChipIn" widget with a button to go to Paypal
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Perhaps Sunday Times and l'Equipe would like to contribute to his bills
  • Quite extraordinary interview with Verbruggen by Daniel Benson yesterday. Reads like a parody - which its not apparently

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbrug ... t-hamilton

The sentence "The problem is we can't find Landis," Verbruggen told Cyclingnews as he poured himself a glass of wine at a worlds presentation in Valkenburg" - utter, utter classic....
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    Could you all try to sign the petition here:

"World Cycling Organization UCI: For president Pat McQuaid to resign and cycling to be cleaned up"

http://tinyurl.com/PatMusgGoPetition

and pass on to as many people as you know - tweet, facebook, the lot! Thanks
  • sylvanus wrote:
    Could you all try to sign the petition here:

"World Cycling Organization UCI: For president Pat McQuaid to resign and cycling to be cleaned up"

http://tinyurl.com/PatMusgGoPetition

and pass on to as many people as you know - tweet, facebook, the lot! Thanks

Dont mean to be picky but recommend that this should also include Verbruggen - he's still Honorary President of the UCI
  • I wonder will we have the usual deafening silence from the peleton on this?

No matter what way you look at this it seems mad
  • RichN95.
    thomasmc wrote:
    I wonder will we have the usual deafening silence from the peloton on this?
    Why would anyone in the peloton give a toss about this one way or the other?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    "The problem is we can't find Landis," Verbruggen told Cyclingnews as he poured himself a glass of wine at a worlds presentation in Valkenburg.

"No. No. I have no need to read that. Why should I? I'm not in cycling any more."

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones wrote:
    "The problem is we can't find Landis," Verbruggen told Cyclingnews as he poured himself a glass of wine at a worlds presentation in Valkenburg.

"No. No. I have no need to read that. Why should I? I'm not in cycling any more."

He's the sodding Honorary President for feck's sake! Would love to know what his retainer is
  • RichN95 wrote:
    thomasmc wrote:
    I wonder will we have the usual deafening silence from the peloton on this?
    Why would anyone in the peloton give a toss about this one way or the other?
    Because they're professional cyclists and you might hope that they care about corruption and incompetence on a grand scale from their governing body? Just a thought. Many of them probably don't care or rather, don't think. But they bloody well should give a toss.
  • Interestingly, for something so apparently detrimental to their reputations, they appear to be pursuing him for a relatively insignificant amount in damages (about €8,000 each), though legal costs will inflate that. I guess it's all about the score on their cards, as they move through the hierarchy of world sport. Oh, and maybe as a warning to others to keep their mouths shut.

I guess also that the financial risk is too great for the UCI to go up against a larger, better-funded opponent such as a major international publishing company.