Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Just got myself a winter jacket, arm warmers, spoke reflectors, 2 sets of the dangly lights (probably give to kids) and a merino top. Oh, and a load of AAA batteries. Loads of stock in Aylesbury! £5 off thanks to the Mirror. Result.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    SecretSam wrote:
    [...] 2 sets of the dangly lights (probably give to kids) [...]

In which case, you're going to need to change your sign:
    hqdefault.jpg
  • Also been in before work to get a softshell jacket, which looks to be good quality, and some of those dangly light things which are good as emergency back ups.
    These events are getting more popular, there were considerably more people there than the last time, so if you are still consdering going, be quick!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • There's no Aldi near me, so I've sent the mother-in-law with a shopping list. I'm nervous.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • got my stuff today, not bad for the money :D

57253338-2446-44E3-A4F0-F9B8DB83D521-406-000000886F94647D.jpg

FYI: the arm and leg warmers are identical, i got one of each and now cant tell which is which after opening them up.....so if your after leg warmers and they only have arm ones left or vice versa.....
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Gah! Hope there's some left at lunchtime when i make my pilgrimage!
  • Pork chops look nice
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Peat wrote:

was packed at 8am when i was there up here.....vultures!
  • Was very packed when I arrived after 8am. Recommened the Winter Cycling jacket and also got the baselayer and tri-suit. Make sure you buy Mirror and get £5 off if you spend over £35!

First time to Aldi for cycling stuff, my Lidl purchases are not bad and going strong!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Peat wrote:

was packed at 8am when i was there up here.....vultures!
    Ours was empty at 8:15; girl on the till was saying they should perhaps advertise more to get people in - she seemed surprised to be told that these things spread like wildfire over the internet and are hugely popular. Just not in the one round the corner though. :)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I hope mine has some left -

They normally do and i'll get there around 5ish!!

See what they have if anything.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Is it ONLY today or does it START today?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Is it ONLY today or does it START today?

Starts today and when its gone its gone
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    7 mile round trip to OKR at lunch. Managed to get a small jacket for the wife. She had mentioned she was going to need a jacket if she is going to keep cycling to work over winter (previous job was 10 mins walk, new one 25 min cycle) so this was a bargain!

Picked up some spoke reflectors and led's just for the sake of it too.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Fluro jackets and LEDs all gone in Lancaster now.

I got the gloves which seem good for £5 and some spoke reflectors.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Wow, Aldi Oxford was heaving!

Scores of middle-aged men fighting over gloves and tops like dogs over meat. Well, not quite that bad, but you get the picture....

I came away with a set of gloves, soft-shell jacket and waterproof trousers. The toolkit didnt have much more than i have already and i decided i'd get the individual items later and at a slightly higher quality.

And i may have bought a packet of biscuits.... Whoops.
  • Got to our local store in Wrexham and there were quite a significant number of people around the cycling gear, it had only just gone 8:05am!

Picked up arm/leg warmers, compression top/bottoms, merino shirt, fluro rain jacket,WP trousers, gloves and 2 winter jackets of each colour.

Got back home to find that the red winter jacket had a L coat hanger in it but some very clever person had put it in an XL jacket :roll: my own fault for not double checking before leaving the shop, it's a bit big for me but fortunately the blue one was the correct size so not a huge loss. I did go back there few hours later and all of the jackets had gone, doh! Looks like I'll be taking the XL back at the weekend, unless someone wants to do a swap for an L? :lol:

Really impressed with the stuff to be honest! The arm/leg warmers are fantastic and should see me through the autumn.
  • 5 local shops and not one soft shell in XL. One shop said they'd only had half a dozen, in small and medium. Don't understand this policy, they could sell loads more, there was a few people in each shop looking for large and xl. Arm and leg warmers bought, passed on the gloves, looked c**p. Winter tights looked good for the money, prefer bibs meself though.

If anyone comes across a blue soft shell in XL i'll happily give it a home . . :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lots of stuff still to be had in a couple of local ones this evening - not only do we get the best cycling up here, Aldi doesn't sell out first thing!

Spent quite a lot so the Mirror voucher was handy.

One fluoro rain jacket. Slightly lighter material than my old one and the design looks to have been improved in quite a few places - details but it all helps.

Arm warmers in small - way too large. They'll have to go back.

Tool kit - this is certainly not up to the standard of my Ice Toolz/Lifu kit and there is less in it but I'll be keeping it to leave at my parents so I have a few things for the old Raleigh. If you want a starter kit, I'd get one of the slightly more expensive ones.

Storage stand - we'll see how this turns out!

Gloves - these looked pretty decent and there's some positive reviews so I'm giving them a go. They'll probably be the right temp for about 2 weeks of the year but that's down to my cold fingers. It will be interesting to compare them to the Sealskins.

Failed to get the compression base layers. This has happened before - they massively understock on the gents compared to the ladies stuff so there are huge piles of the latter, a fair pile of mens pants and in one shop only 3 xl mens tops. I was half tempted to try a ladies top but I'm a bit flat chested :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I cycled along to my local store before work to find a minor scrum around the cycling kit.

I grabbed a pair of size 10 shoes which I've just tried on and seem to fit well, I've got some spare cleats from the last pair of pedals which I bought that will go on them. Three 'merino' tops in large, a pair of gloves and two chocolate bars.

£5 pounds off from the Daily Mirror offer, but I don't think I'll bother reading the paper.
  • Try Aldi Romsey - loads of stuff when I got there at half five.

Got new fluoro waterproof, winter jacket, 3 packs of spoke reflectors (for the kids, honest) and the gloves. Didn't bother with the tights or compression stuff as I get that thru football and cricket - but loads left in store then. Thanks for the £5 voucher tip from earlier too, what a bargain.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Went running last night which was fortunate as it alerted me to the fact that the rubbish looking LED bands are in fact extremely useful for winter nights doing my 10k circuit, as well as the compression tights too.

Got some socks, winter trousers and the microfibre towel (for touring and showers after sportives). Avoided the winter jacket as they've changed the cuffs from water/windproof elasticated ones to less effective velcro tabbed ones.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    got a merino top - mega itchy

waterproof jacket - like wearing a crisp packet

another pack of spoke reflectors = cool!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I went for:

Tool kit - not bad although some of the tools don't feel too ergonomic/comfy.

Compression top - One for me, one for her. Took mine back, the neck felt a bit too restrictive on me, not good when cycling. She's happy with hers - puny neck.

Mini LED lights - One set for me one set for her. Very happy with them, very bright. Should be great additional lights now the nights are drawing in.

Arm warmers - Bit poncy, but I like the flexibility of taking them off halfway through a ride/commute. Also, negates the need for the compression top (or rather why I was buying the compression top).

Didn't go for the spoke reflectors in the end, they looked really badly made - the reflectiveness already peeling off the plastic even when still in the packaging - what'll a bit of rain do to them?!
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • Sent Mrs BromyG on a shopping mission and ended up with a Winter Cycling Jersey, a pair of shoes and the spoke reflectors. Already have enough compression base layers and jackets. I think I have a tool kit too but I'm not supposed to know that yet! Still may go back and see what's left later!

This will be my second pair of shoes and have been very pleased with the first pair which have been worn on my daily commuter for over 12 months now.

Thanks to all for the Daily Mirror voucher recommendation!

BromyG

Red Brompton S6L
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I got 3 pairs of sock (to ad to my 2 lidle pairs) and a pair of gloves :)

Needed some winter gloves but pennies a bit short after buying my new road bike. Oops!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dellsinho wrote:
    Didn't go for the spoke reflectors in the end, they looked really badly made - the reflectiveness already peeling off the plastic even when still in the packaging - what'll a bit of rain do to them?!

Not much. They last pretty well. One or two have peeled a bit but 95% are still fine. They are pretty good actually.

Put the storage stand up - just needs one bolt to secure it at the top. It's not a thing of great beauty but it is effective and pretty solid. I did make one mod - I fed inner tube over the hook ends so the top tubes would have something softer to rest on than painted metal.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Didn't like the look of the toolkit so bought a pair of socks and a light set as a backup to my normal ones, front light is pretty good but I'm not using the mount as I had a spare lock block thing
  • Not sure if this is the best place for this but here goes. I'm looking for two sets of small/medium arm warmers .. the ones I've got are large/extra large but too big for me.

Would like to swap or pay for the small/medium sets.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Picked up the merino top (seems good quality) and a pair of waterproof winter gloves.

And a bottle of Shiraz.

None of the mens winter tights left apart from in small - and a woman came in as I was checking and said she was on her fourth Aldi trying to get some for her husband - so I guess there can't have been many out there?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.