Aldi Cycling gear 27th Sept

Dellsinho
Dellsinho Posts: 100
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Cycling week in Aldi from Thursday 27th I think. Winter stuff and a few tools, the usual stuff.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/25481.htm?WT.z_src=main
Canyon Roadlite
Boardman Hybrid
Dolan FXE

Comments

• Thanks, dude!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What are we buying then?

Will have a look at the leg warmers and maybe a merino jersey if they are any good.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Could be relatively expensive. New fluoro rainjacket possibly, the merino, small armwarmers and possibly the bike stand if it looks any good.

Oh, and the toolkit for one to leave at my parents or in the car maybe.

And maybe the winter socks......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • For me:

Arm warmers
    Winter jacket - depending on quality
    overshoes - could do with them being waterproof though
    Full gloves - old pair are a bit tired now
    Also maybe a wimp vest, again depending on quality.

does anyone use the spoke reflectors for dark commuting? Recommended?
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The spoke reflectors are awsome. Yes, highly recommended.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Ditto; they festoon all of my bikes (even a few on the Roubaix).

The merino top looks to be just 30% merino; I appreciate that even Rapha's sportwool is a blend, but that seems a little on the low side.
  • DrLex wrote:
    The merino top looks to be just 30% merino; I appreciate that even Rapha's sportwool is a blend, but that seems a little on the low side.

They used to do a 100% Merino top in their skiware, it's quite thin but excellent as a baselayer. Might be worth waiting for that?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The merino top is excellent even if only 30% wool. Its a staple part of my winter commuting wardrobe. Merino base layer (as mentioned above), merino top then softshell jacket - toasty in all but the most extreme conditions. Even with just 30% merino, it can be worn many times without getting whiffy, stays warm when wet, dries relatively quickly, washes well - I might even get another one...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    BigMat wrote:
    The merino top is excellent even if only 30% wool. Its a staple part of my winter commuting wardrobe. Merino base layer (as mentioned above), merino top then softshell jacket - toasty in all but the most extreme conditions. Even with just 30% merino, it can be worn many times without getting whiffy, stays warm when wet, dries relatively quickly, washes well - I might even get another one...

Is it at all 'itchy'?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its more jumper than jersey - I always wear it over a base layer or short sleeved shirt. I imagine it might be a bit itchy if you wore it with nothing underneath, but I don't think that is what it is really intended for.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    could any embankmenters pick me up a pack of spoke reflectors if they are going to this?
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _26726.htm
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Dellsinho wrote:

Don't bother with the overshoes unless you just want a cheap way to try the concept out. They only lasted me a few days in the Lake District rain last autumn and now have holes in the front. This was using MTB SPD shoes rather than road SDP-SL so YMMV. Certainly proved to me that overshoes are worthwhile in the wet, especially on a bike without full mudguards.
    Dellsinho wrote:

Bought a couple of packets of these from LIDL a few weeks ago for £4.99 a box. Each box contains 36 reflectors and are intended to do a single wheel. Not fitted them yet (really bought them for the boy's bikes) but from pictures such as this they seem to do a reasonable job:

CIMG2429.jpg

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • cookdn wrote:
    Dellsinho wrote:

Don't bother with the overshoes unless you just want a cheap way to try the concept out. They only lasted me a few days in the Lake District rain last autumn and now have holes in the front. This was using MTB SPD shoes rather than road SDP-SL so YMMV. Certainly proved to me that overshoes are worthwhile in the wet, especially on a bike without full mudguards.
    Dellsinho wrote:

Bought a couple of packets of these from LIDL a few weeks ago for £4.99 a box. Each box contains 36 reflectors and are intended to do a single wheel. Not fitted them yet (really bought them for the boy's bikes) but from pictures such as this they seem to do a reasonable job:

CIMG2429.jpg

Best regards
    David

do they wrap around the spokes or do you have to dismantle the wheel and fit the spokes through them?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    No, they're a C shape, they just clip on.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    They don't fit on flat bladed spokes though....as I found out when going to fit some to the racing 5s on the Litespeed D'Oh!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They fit the bladed spokes on my Shimano wheelset (RS10 maybe).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    cookdn wrote:
    CIMG2429.jpg

Farm shop near Milton/Steventon?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Dellsinho wrote:

I use them, and I reckon they're effective. I recommend them.

winter-spoke-reflective.jpg
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • The tool kit has got what looks like an Octalink BB tool which alone kind of makes it worth getting.

May get some arm warmers but the shoe covers look rubbish. Especially when Planet X are knocking out decent quality ones for a tenner.
  • There is apparently a £5 off voucher (when you spend over £35) in tomorrows Daily Mirror.

See MoneySavingExpert.com
    Aldi £5 off £35 in 45p paper
    Newspaper-based voucher
    Discount: £5 off £35 Who for: Anyone
    Get by: Thu 27 Sept 2012 Use by: Thu 4 Oct 2012

How: In Thursday's Daily Mirror (45p) you'll find a voucher to get £5 off when you spend at least £35 at your nearest Aldi.

The detail: The voucher must be used in a single transaction in-store only. Photocopies won't be accepted.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Agent57 wrote:
    Dellsinho wrote:

I use them, and I reckon they're effective. I recommend them.

winter-spoke-reflective.jpg

Where are you in that photo? Can't see you? :P

In all seriousness, do you have to subscribe to EVERY Lidl/Aldi newsletter or can you just get notification of the bike ones?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Tool kit for me I think only to fill in gaps I have in my existing tools.
  • Recently bought myself a winter bike so I'm going in to my local Aldis tomorrow morning to pick up some of this gear, it looks really good stuff for the price.

However, I'm not sure what to go for though? There's a lot of choice and it seems a few items of clothing achieve very similar goals with differing price tags?

Like the Winter cycling jacket at £15.99 and the waterproof cycling rain jacket for £19.99 for example, is the latter just a better version of the Winter jacket or do they have different purposes? They're both waterproof so I can't see what the more expensive offering gives over the winter jacket?

Another query is with the Merino shirt, is this basically just a better performing shirt than the normal jersey hence the higher price than the £8.99 offering or are they used in conjunction with each other? They're both advertised as a middle layer so have no idea what would be the best choice.

My last query is regarding the SPD shoes they sell, are the cleats recessed so that I can walk around in them after I unclip? I've only ever owned road shoes with look cleats (on the summer bike) but they are quite inconvenient when cycling around busy parts of town or if I head to the shops.

Sorry if these are potentially silly questions, this will be the first year I've ridden out in cold weather and am still not entire sure of what to buy. I just want to make sure I buy the right things before everything sells out!
  • The winter jacket is a soft shell, which is less waterproof, but more breathable than the rain jacket. They've got me through a good few winters. Highly recommended.
  • Thanks for that, I'll be definitely picking up the winter jacket then. Think I'll just grab the rain jacket too, not like it's going break the bank.

I actually don't have any base layers yet either, any experiences with the compression top/bottoms Aldi will sell?

It's now just a matter of considering the Merino shirt and/or the long sleeve jersey or whether or not to use my Torm sportwool jersey with arm warmers instead?

So many choices, it's all becoming complicated and confusing! :lol:
  • Only base-layer I have is a Torm one, that's top class.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MarkC1984 wrote:
    Thanks for that, I'll be definitely picking up the winter jacket then. Think I'll just grab the rain jacket too, not like it's going break the bank.

The rain jackets aren't bad - I've been using one this week in the wet mornings with a summer jersey underneath to avoid getting too hot but not get too wet. Then I've been using a long sleeve journey under a showerproof on the way home - that doesn't keep me dry at all but does stop me getting cold.
    MarkC1984 wrote:
    My last query is regarding the SPD shoes they sell, are the cleats recessed so that I can walk around in them after I unclip? I've only ever owned road shoes with look cleats (on the summer bike) but they are quite inconvenient when cycling around busy parts of town or if I head to the shops.

Both types of shoe have recessed cleats - though in the case of the road shoe it's more like it has protruding tread blocks under the soles that raise the cleats away from the ground. They are both fine for walking in.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Apparently the Daily Mirror has a coupon for £5 off an Aldi purchase tomorrow...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just been in - got the yellow thin coat, merino top, a set of those reflective flashing bands, and a packet of choc digestives for 59p. And a nice bit of chat with the girl on the till who gave me a bag without charging me the 3p for it. Super. :)