Tour of Britain Stage 4 *spoiler*

Comments

• Last hurrah for Cav with Sky though - cant blame 'em
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Wiggo puts some poor sod in his place for trying to muscle in with the world's biggest switch - wouldn't be surprised to see a relegation shortly. Thought Rowe was going to win it solo but Howard was awake to it - decent tactic if it was intended as forced Howard to open the sprint early.

I wonder if a Rowe win was actually Plan A as he'll probably be the more credible GC contender.

Yep, that was my thinking. Win - win situation really.

No celebration from Cav despite winning with ease. Never seen that before and he usually gets both arms in the air if he gets half a wheel in front, he really doesn't seem very happy at the moment.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Pross wrote:
    No celebration from Cav despite winning with ease. Never seen that before and he usually gets both arms in the air if he gets half a wheel in front, he really doesn't seem very happy at the moment.

Probably sad that today will now probably have been his last day in the WC bands.
  • Think Mad Rapper summed up pretty well yday what's probably going on with Cav right now
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Does friday's stage finish on top of caerphilly mountain? I hope so, at this rate it'll be the only stage that doesn't end in a bunch sprint.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Turfle wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I hadn't realised Maggy was actually riding for his team this season - he's still got it!

He turned the gas on with about 2k to go yesterday, and even the Sky riders were straining to stay on his wheel.

He only lasted 2 mins though.
  • next 3 days are all lumpy, I think
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Turfle wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I hadn't realised Maggy was actually riding for his team this season - he's still got it!

He turned the gas on with about 2k to go yesterday, and even the Sky riders were straining to stay on his wheel.

He only lasted 2 mins though.

More like 20 seconds!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Pross wrote:
    Was a joy to see yesterday, put a big smile on my face, wife looked at me a little strange as I cheered when he hit the front!

I'm surprised that given the weather then entire peloton wasn't sheltering behind him !
  • Pross
    Nickel wrote:
    Does friday's stage finish on top of caerphilly mountain? I hope so, at this rate it'll be the only stage that doesn't end in a bunch sprint.

No, there's about 4km from the top but with two ascents I doubt that it will end in a bunch sprint. Even today wasn't really a bunch sprint, it was effectively a sprint from a large break. I suspect Saturday will be a similar sized group to today, the only way I can see it not being is if Sky get someone away solo or there's a break but some people a long way down the GC.
  • TMR
    Paulie W wrote:
    More like 20 seconds!

I was being generous! :wink:

Was still very impressive IMHO.
  • JTL was looking very attentive today and is very well placed. The short but explosive climbs of Caephilly Mountian and the Devon stage will definitely suit him, moreso than any of the Sky riders. Not sure which other possible winners were in that break.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross wrote:
    4 sprints in four stages. In the rain. Chipper.

Not sure what the rain has to do with anything! You do realise that this was a sprint from a group of 20 odd riders after some text book echelon riding don't you? You can have 4 sprints in 4 stages at that well known chipper the Tour de France too. Hillier in the next few days.

Thing is though, its like a Cat1 team riding with Cat 3/4 teams...not a good spectacle. I thoroughly expect SKY to crush everything. I was so hoping Sep stayed away yday.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    Kristian House has done well so far. Never really noticed him before, has a nice attacking style. Funny accent though, where's he from? Sounds Canadian/American to me.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    British born but moved to Texas at a young age, hence the hybrid accent.
  • I hope JTL lights up SKY or does he have to conform as he is headed there next year...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JTL was looking very attentive today and is very well placed. The short but explosive climbs of Caephilly Mountian and the Devon stage will definitely suit him, moreso than any of the Sky riders. Not sure which other possible winners were in that break.
    Sep Vanmarcke was there. Probably others too.
    I don't think Sky are here for the GC.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    4 sprints in four stages. In the rain. Chipper.

Not sure what the rain has to do with anything! You do realise that this was a sprint from a group of 20 odd riders after some text book echelon riding don't you? You can have 4 sprints in 4 stages at that well known chipper the Tour de France too. Hillier in the next few days.

Thing is though, its like a Cat1 team riding with Cat 3/4 teams...not a good spectacle. I thoroughly expect SKY to crush everything. I was so hoping Sep stayed away yday.

Garmin, GreenEdge and Liquigas aren't exactly Cat 3/4 are they? Even Euskatel aren't (although not a race to suit them) and Saur Sojasun.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And neither are Endura, who probably have the race favourite!
  • TMR
    Turfle wrote:

They aren't World Tour level though.

Just reflect upon how comprehensively they had the botties smacked by SKY at the Nationals.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Arse. I'm going to watch in Stoke tomorrow. Won't get to see Cav in the rainbow bands now :(
  • TMR
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ars*. I'm going to watch in Stoke tomorrow. Won't get to see Cav in the rainbow bands now :(

Why? The Worlds aren't until 23rd September. Is he pulling out today?
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    ars*. I'm going to watch in Stoke tomorrow. Won't get to see Cav in the rainbow bands now :(

He'll be wearing th leaders jersey tomorrow.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Graeme_S wrote:

^ This
  • Pross
    Turfle wrote:

Just reflect upon how comprehensively they had the botties smacked by SKY at the Nationals.

To be fair they are Cat3 as FF puts it with designs on Cat2 next season (albeit merged) but you can't base it on their Nationals performance as they are a multi national team. They did well today though - stayed near the front and had 3 riders including their team leader at the front when it got split up.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Turfle wrote:

Bit harsh :D
    The major problem they had that day in terms of trying to make a race of it was tactical ineptness by their management or road captain, not lack of ability. To allow a break to go to nearly 8 mins when they knew there were no other strong teams to help the chase, and then trying to close it down within less than 2 laps was crazy and no wonder they burned all their riders up in the process.Probably would not have won anyway but would certainly have got much closer.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    They have probably been the 2nd strongest team in the race. I'd happily go into WT and Pro Conti races with a team of JTL, Downing, Dempster, Voss, Bibby, McEvoy.

Using Nationals against them is very unfair as they had a half-fit JTL, and half of their squad aren't British.
  • Here are a couple of photos of the peloton as they climb out of Borrowdale which is the valley at the bottom of the descent from Shap. (NB Not to be confused with the more famous Borrowdale near Derwent Water.)

TourofBritainStage42012017.jpg

TourofBritainStage42012019.jpg
  • Great shots KBD
  • TMR

Thank you.