Tour of Britain Stage 4 *spoiler*

Comments

• The real Professionals come to the fore! A classic splitting of the bunch in a cross wind!
    Filthy weather, glad it wasn't doing that on Monday when I went to watch!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Blimey, the break's lead is coming down quicker than Paris Hilton's knickers!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Sounds interesting so watching it online at work but no sound. Whats the gap from the sky group to the rest of the peloton?

JTL in the Sky group.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2012

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Sounds interesting so watching it online at work but no sound. Whats the gap from the sky group to the rest of the peloton?

JTL in the Sky group.

I haven't heard a gap from the lead/Sky group backwards, but there are cars in between.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Shame Rabobank aren't in it this year.
  • Turfle
    Backstedt comfortably in the top group. You never lose class.
  • afx237vi wrote:

Odd seeing as they won it last year. Wonder if it was their choice or the organisers?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Lots of passengers (unsurprisingly) in the Sky group. Howard looking comfortable, fancy him for the stage again.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

Odd seeing as they won it last year. Wonder if it was their choice or the organisers?

Must have been theirs, surely? Vacansoleil were in last year's race too.
  • Turfle
    Even in crosswinds JTL just looks so much more comfortable than the other domestic riders.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Getting fired does that to you.

Aah...wasn't aware.
  • Sky through their power all over this race...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross wrote:
    Lots of passengers (unsurprisingly) in the Sky group. Howard looking comfortable, fancy him for the stage again.

Cav says he doesn't want the leaders jersey as he wants to wear rainbow jersey for last few days (fair enough) but isn't doing any work in the group...if it comes to a sprint it's hard to imagine him not having a go in a group of this size.
  • Pross
    Has the front group sat up or just turned into a big headwind?

EDIT Still working so must have been the wind, they seemed to slow a lot after catching the break.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Sitting up. Endura don't want to give sky a free ride, but sky forcing them to.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Cav says he doesn't want the leaders jersey as he wants to wear rainbow jersey for last few days (fair enough) but isn't doing any work in the group...if it comes to a sprint it's hard to imagine him not having a go in a group of this size.

Thought I saw Cav do a bit of work when the echelon first formed - difficult not to I guess.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Pross - there seemed to be a good bit of chat between Endura & Sky riders.
  • Pross
    I hadn't realised Maggy was actually riding for his team this season - he's still got it!
  • Turfle
    Pross wrote:
    I hadn't realised Maggy was actually riding for his team this season - he's still got it!

He turned the gas on with about 2k to go yesterday, and even the Sky riders were straining to stay on his wheel.
  • Pross wrote:
    Was a joy to see yesterday, put a big smile on my face, wife looked at me a little strange as I cheered when he hit the front!
  • 4 sprints in four stages. In the rain. Chipper.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cavtastic.
  • Turfle
    Very comfortable.
  • 4 sprints in four stages. In the rain. Chipper.

Problem being that I don't think Britain has the terrain to break up a pro peloton during a late season stage race. And if it did, nobody would come.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Wiggo puts some poor sod in his place for trying to muscle in with the world's biggest switch - wouldn't be surprised to see a relegation shortly. Thought Rowe was going to win it solo but Howard was awake to it - decent tactic if it was intended as forced Howard to open the sprint early.
  • Turfle
    And that was a 20 man group, not a bunch sprint.
  • Pross
    4 sprints in four stages. In the rain. Chipper.

Not sure what the rain has to do with anything! You do realise that this was a sprint from a group of 20 odd riders after some text book echelon riding don't you? You can have 4 sprints in 4 stages at that well known chipper the Tour de France too. Hillier in the next few days.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Wiggo puts some poor sod in his place for trying to muscle in with the world's biggest switch - wouldn't be surprised to see a relegation shortly. Thought Rowe was going to win it solo but Howard was awake to it - decent tactic if it was intended as forced Howard to open the sprint early.

I wonder if a Rowe win was actually Plan A as he'll probably be the more credible GC contender.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    Pross wrote:

Was a bit surprised Sky didn't try pinging riders off the front from a bit further out. Share the wins around, you know. They are so much stronger than the other teams in this race it's slightly embarrassing.