Tour of Britain Stage 4 *spoiler*

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited September 2012 in Pro race
The Sky boys might be feeling a little tired these morning after this little lark last night

http://www.itv.com/news/border/2012-09- ... llage-pub/

Rick, you'll have to cover this kind of thing if you go for that junior reporter job with them :)

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    article_f4e71ea2dbcbbbb0_1347435944_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg
    Strickland Arms Welcomes
    Team Sky and Bradley 'BEAR' Wiggins

Bear!? Since when was that his nickname?
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    article_f4e71ea2dbcbbbb0_1347435944_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg
    Strickland Arms Welcomes
    Team Sky and Bradley 'BEAR' Wiggins

Bear!? Since when was that his nickname?

Since never - it just seems to be connected with the support that the pub put on for Sky and Wiggo during the Tour - the pub won a compo run by Sky, which is why the team visited last night
    http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 07,00.html
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Ah I see - that makes much more sense :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What's the profile like for this one?

Been disappointed with the ToB so far.
  • Same as last two stages, some hills early on then flat.

http://www.tourofbritain.com/_ns_pdf/2012/tob2012_stage4_profile.pdf

Stages 5, 6 and 7 are more interesting looking.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    :roll:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    What's the profile like for this one?

Been disappointed with the ToB so far.

At least its had three different stage winners, so not as blatantly chippertastic as certain stage races this year, but yeah, hasn't inspired me to watch anything other than the sprint finish so far. Some goodish looking stages to come though, particularly the Devon one, and a lot of people still in contention for the gold jersey (worst thing that can happen to this kind of race is when you get a non-descript breakaway taking 10 minutes in the first couple of stages).

By the way, does anybody else think the Vuelta should have stuck with a golden jersey rather than red? Its so much more noticeable in the peloton, I mean you are always going to get several teams riding in red, Rodriguez was barely noticeable as leader in the Vuelta...
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:

By the way, does anybody else think the Vuelta should have stuck with a golden jersey rather than red? Its so much more noticeable in the peloton, I mean you are always going to get several teams riding in red, Rodriguez was barely noticeable as leader in the Vuelta...

Yeah.
  • Get with the programme Rick. This isn't a race, it's a victory parade for our heroic British cyclists.

Where is your sense of patritotism, look at the crowds, think of the children being inspired!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Oh.

Yeah.

yay.

British stuff.

Done nowhere near as well as the Olympics.

Yay.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Same as last two stages, some hills early on then flat.

http://www.tourofbritain.com/_ns_pdf/2012/tob2012_stage4_profile.pdf

Stages 5, 6 and 7 are more interesting looking.

Stage 6 should be good, Caerphilly mountain shredded the bunch last year and there isn't far from the summit to the finsih line plus two ascents this year. Stage 7 looks good on paper but again there is a long way from Dartmoor to the finish to pull back a breakaway which is a pitty. That said, the final km could be carnage - I suspect they'll be doing well over 50mph down the hill into Dartmouth past the naval college so the roundabout at the bottom and / or right hand turn onto the finish straight could cause problems.
  • Jeez, is that the final km? Bleeding 'eck...fun :D
  • Actually, I shouldn't be so grumpy.

It's not the worlds most exciting race, but it may yet have its moments and i'd rather have this race than no race.

It's a great opportunity for the UK pros to do battle with some genuine big names.

I'm always puzzled by Skys tactics though, particularly as it's their home race. They seem to always value stage wins higher than the overall in this race, I suppose it offers a more obvious type of success on TV. I've also been impressed with Wiggins doing some genuine hard work on the front.
  • Actually, I shouldn't be so grumpy.

It's not the worlds most exciting race, but it may yet have its moments and i'd rather have this race than no race.

It's a great opportunity for the UK pros to do battle with some genuine big names.

I'm always puzzled by Skys tactics though, particularly as it's their home race. They seem to always value stage wins higher than the overall in this race, I suppose it offers a more obvious type of success on TV. I've also been impressed with Wiggins doing some genuine hard work on the front.

Wiggo's been doing the business.

This year, yeah, it's been all about Cav and stages - though I wouldnt be surprised if they support Rowe now to see how far he can get (or if not JTL, cost that'll be a win-win for them next season). Not sure about Sky always going for stage wins rather than GC. 2010 Wiggo was the GC plan but it became evident during the race that he wasnt there in mind or in form. Last year G was their leader - and they definitely did set out wanting to win it.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    You still around Rick? Hope all goes well whatever happens.

Crowd was good yesterday in Dumfries, so whatever its value as a cycling event, it is raising the profile which can only be a good thing. Good time of year to have it too as some bigger names use it as warm up for the Worlds.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    If Cav wins today he loses one of his final chances to wear the rainbow jersey, and he didn't seem in the mood to stop wearing it after yesterday's stage. I wonder if they'll ride for Rowe.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Can see Cav dropping some time to ensure he keeps the rainbow jersey, but trying to work it for Rowe. Glad I saw him in it yesterday and it seemed to mean a lot to him to win with it on in front of Dumfries crowd.
  • Pross
    Jeez, is that the final km? Bleeding 'eck...fun :D

Yep, the red kite should be right outside the college entrance and the finish is by the (inner) harbour entrance. Dead straight 10% descent of about 1km on a good road surface straight into a junction at the bottom. At least it's all pretty wide I suppose.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Do you think the team cars should have pedalos on their roofs?
  • alan_a
    Poor UK Youth rider getting drowned by his team car.
  • alan_a
    And again from the moto.

Poor guy.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Could they not knock up a gold jersey with rainbow stripes on it for Cav? That would be a bit special!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Oh.

Yeah.

yay.

British stuff.

Yay.

Who stole the jam out of your doughnut?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    any links to picture feeds on'tinternet?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Oh.

Yeah.

yay.

British stuff.

Yay.

Who stole the jam out of your doughnut?

Getting fired does that to you.
  • alan_a
    I reckon he's more of a custard doughnut kind of guy.

Nice big split in the peleton thanks to strong cross winds & echelons forming
  • Pross
    Sky giving echelon lessons to the lower level teams! Who's in the break? Decent lead with 20km to go.
  • Turfle
    Nice crosswinds going on. Group of 20 or so at the front.
  • Turfle
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    any links to picture feeds on'tinternet?

itv.com/itv4/

or

http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-2.php
  • Pross
    The breaks lead seems to have toppled in no time, not many left in the lead group behind the break, seems to be mainly Sky, Endura and Garmin riders.