Practical bike security - leaving it outside Tesco for 10

Comments

• Send the wife, i do :D, no one would nick her
  • Nah, the predictive text works fine on windows phones. You're just a mong.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I have a car.
    I have a chair :lol:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Take a Kryptonite U lock and an Onguard Pitbull U lock and remove the shackles. The notches in the Kryptonite are less theft deterring than the Onguard. The pitbull has four notches (two on each side) making it a bit harder to defeat.
  • JayKay3000 wrote:
    I use pinhead lockable skewers on my commute bike + It's in a very boring grey colour and looks rather inconspicuous compared to other bikes.

QR skewers are a no, no for me in town as even though they may not steal the bike you might loose a wheel. Gold rated D lock attached to something solid through the lock and through the rear wheel and frame. If it comes with a cable then use that to go around the front wheel. You can also use two different locks on the same bike.

Park next to other bikes that look easier to steal. How many people have you see with a £3 lock just around their frame. 2 seconds with wire cutters or 1 second for their wheel. QR seat? That may get nicked too.

Most bike crime is from opportunist theifs who go for the easiest target. A serious pro will get through anything though.

Having said that. we've had a rubbish bike dumped at morrisons (working order) and it's been there for 3 days an no one has stolen it. So it really depends on where you live. One of my friends wants it for parts, but it could be a plant.

That is some heavy duty stuff just to run into tescos for a few minutes. I have a knog rubber coated lock which I just attach the bike to something and it works just fine for whatever bike I ride. Needing that many locks for a quick trip is just overkill and obsessive. Just be smart about where you put it, don't just leave it on the side of something where it can be easily grabbed or noticed, and you should be fine.
  • If it's not too muddy take it in with you - if you are challenged point out it's no different to someone wheeling round a pushchair (and considerably less inconvenient to others than wheeling a double pushchair)
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • robymurray wrote:
    What are the opinions of the learned on securing your bike for 10 minutes while you nip in for some bread and milk!

Don't
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    robymurray wrote:
    What are the opinions of the learned on securing your bike for 10 minutes while you nip in for some bread and milk!
    why do you need to go to a supermarket for bread and milk ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I bought myself a 'pub bike' just for trips like this and obviously the pub. There's no way I'd leave my proper bike outside a supermarket even locked up purely as it'd advertise it. A pub bike was a safer option for me as its worth less than one wheel on the main bike so wouldn't be a disaster if it went. Still gets locked up with a d lock though.
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    robymurray wrote:
    I'm guessing it's because supermarkets are far, far cheaper than anywhere else? And possibly closer.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:
    robymurray wrote:
    I'm guessing it's because supermarkets are far, far cheaper than anywhere else? And possibly closer.
    if closer fair enough, if penny pinching, then he'd be better off walking to save unnecessary wear and tear on the bike :wink:
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    robymurray wrote:
    if closer fair enough, if penny pinching, then he'd be better off walking to save unnecessary wear and tear on the bike :wink:
    Where the hell do you get yourmilk from?
    A 4 pint bottle is about 50p cheaper in Tescos round here than in the Spar or Londis shops, and nearly a quid cheaper than the post office. Same goes for bread.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    robymurray wrote:
    A 4 pint bottle is about 50p cheaper in Tescos round here than in the Spar or Londis shops, and nearly a quid cheaper than the post office. Same goes for bread.
    i was taking the piss mate, but if im just popping in for a 4 pinta its £1.29 at the local shop or a £1 at one of the supermarkets within a 10 minute walk of my place, no idea what its like where you are
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    robymurray wrote:
    i was taking the wee-wee mate, but if im just popping in for a 4 pinta its £1.29 at the local shop or a £1 at one of the supermarkets within a 10 minute walk of my place, no idea what its like where you are
    It's much better, cause nobody says " 4 pinta".
    As for grocery prices, I've already told you. Jog on.
  • chez_m356
    never seen anyone get worked up over the price of milk before, unless your a farmer, have lots of sheep down there do they :wink:
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    never seen anyone get worked up over the price of milk before, unless your a farmer, have lots of sheep down there do they :wink:
    You drink sheep milk?
    Weirdo.
  • Let's face it though. We should be paying more than 25p/p for cows milk.
  • Let's face it though. We should be paying more than 25p/p for cows milk.
    I know what you mean, it's unsustainably low, and it makes no sense.
    However, if I pay for milk form Spar, the farmers won't get any more of that money.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I have a pub scooter but got told off by the police last time I left the pub on it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • chez_m356
    Let's face it though. We should be paying more than 25p/p for cows milk.
    However, if I pay for milk form Spar, the farmers won't get any more of that money.
    give it to you free do they ? :)
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    Wow, what the hell have you been smoking. Remember just up there^^ where I said that it was more expensive to buy milk from Spar? Yeah? Vaguely?
    Well, I was referring to that, you spazwangle.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bizarre when milk costs more than water. Although who would be stupid enough to buy bottled water I don't know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Wow, what the hell have you been smoking. Remember just up there^^ where I said that it was more expensive to buy milk from Spar? Yeah? Vaguely?
    Well, I was referring to that, you spazwangle.
    think you need to calm yourself down mate, humour not your strong point i guess :D
  • Woody80
    Love that a question about locking a bike up turns into a debate about the price of milk and are farmers getting a fair deal!

Think Spazwangle is my new favourite word as well :D
  • chez_m356
    You drink sheep milk?
    Weirdo.
    skimmed_sheeps_milk_carton.png
  • Woody80
    chez_m356 wrote:
    You drink sheep milk?
    Weirdo.
    skimmed_sheeps_milk_carton.png
    Mmmmmmm
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Woody80 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    You drink sheep milk?
    Weirdo.
    quench_1.jpg
    Mmmmmmm
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    cooldad wrote:
    Woody80 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    You drink sheep milk?
    Weirdo.
    quench_1.jpg
    Mmmmmmm
    :D
  • 25p a pint?? The farmers would be sweet if the people in charge weren't. Taking the majority of the profits...what were they saying..the farmers get 3p per pint.

And milk costs more than water? How doesn't that make sense...? Also id rather drink bottled water than tap water. Depending on what the bottled water it is.

Tesco's ashbeck water tastes like chemical...and probably filtered tap water.

On the bike at Tesco thing..again either a kryptonite lock or get yourself a £10 sh1t flicker and a poundland lock.
  • Tesco's bottled water IS tap water!
    Besides, tap water in the UK has to pass incredibly stringent safety tests, it may well be purer than bottled waters. Of course, most of you satanachs have that strange limey water.