Practical bike security - leaving it outside Tesco for 10

robymurray
robymurray Posts: 23
edited September 2012 in MTB general
What are the opinions of the learned on securing your bike for 10 minutes while you nip in for some bread and milk!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Use the rat bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I would just be guessing..... rat bike?
  • rubbish old bike that you wouldnt worry about losing or noone would bother robbing
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Boltcroppers or a cordless anglegrinder take about 30 seconds to go through a bikelock and it takes about 10 seconds to lift your bike into the back of a van. Very expensive bread and milk.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • i totally would have guessed right! ok

so i haven't got rat bike and have no room for a rat bike - what now?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Use a D lock like a Kryptonite where they pay out if their lock gets broken (although remember an angle grinder could cut through a bike stand in about 30 seconds).

Lock it up in the lobby in view of the CCTV monitoring desk?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    robymurray wrote:
    i totally would have guessed right! ok

so i haven't got rat bike and have no room for a rat bike - what now?
    bus.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • get a rat bike and find some room then....
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I walk!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I've ridden mine around Tesco when it was relatively empty.
    I've often left it with the tobacconist / customer service counter and asked them to keep an eye on it for me, but there was nobody there. I started to push the bike around with me, then I though, fugg it, I'll just ride it.
    There were a few people who looked like they wanted to say something, but they all seemed at a loss as to what exactly they should say!

When we were younger, we used to go round supermarkets on rollerblades as well. Fantastically smooth grippy floors, see!
  • I use pinhead lockable skewers on my commute bike + It's in a very boring grey colour and looks rather inconspicuous compared to other bikes.

QR skewers are a no, no for me in town as even though they may not steal the bike you might loose a wheel. Gold rated D lock attached to something solid through the lock and through the rear wheel and frame. If it comes with a cable then use that to go around the front wheel. You can also use two different locks on the same bike.

Park next to other bikes that look easier to steal. How many people have you see with a £3 lock just around their frame. 2 seconds with wire cutters or 1 second for their wheel. QR seat? That may get nicked too.

Most bike crime is from opportunist theifs who go for the easiest target. A serious pro will get through anything though.

Having said that. we've had a rubbish bike dumped at morrisons (working order) and it's been there for 3 days an no one has stolen it. So it really depends on where you live. One of my friends wants it for parts, but it could be a plant.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a car.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    i have done the same as mcgee its ace but got banned from local shop from the age of ten and got a telling off by mum an dad lol
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Kryptonite lock and hope there's no smart thieves around.

I've also in the past left my bike with a member of staff, like the security guard. I ended up realising that you are only blagging yourself that the bike is safe. At the end of the day it isn't in there job description, in other words they sent added really.

I suppose it does depend how far into the shop it is and what the staff members are like and probably even more importantly what area you are in.
  • in other words they sent added really
    What does that mean?
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    edited September 2012
    in other words they sent added really
    What does that mean?

Wow sorry. "don't care" my phones keeps telling me what I want to write...

actually

"Ain't arsed", you can kind of work it out :)
  • cooldad
    What does that mean?
    Patience young grasshopper, when you are ready you will understand.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    What does that mean?
    Patience young grasshopper, when you are ready you will understand.

HAHA, use the force.
  • I dunno. I've got a highly advanced phone, that lets me type. It's also not illiterate.
  • Stay clear from Nokia windows phones, Seriously.
  • I dunno. I've got a highly advanced phone, that lets me type. It's also not illiterate.

I never was one for English, fook the queen anyway.
  • Bigchris wrote:
    Stay clear from Nokia windows phones, Seriously.
    go on, I'll bite. Why?
  • Im guessing they have a shite corrective text function.

Anyway buy an android, problem solved.

/provocation
  • cooldad
    Bigchris wrote:
    I dunno. I've got a highly advanced phone, that lets me type. It's also not illiterate.

I never was one for English, fook the queen anyway.
    Fifty years ago she was actually quite hot - I would have. You are just a pervert. Or a Greek.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • If you're into german inbreds that's your call and nobody elses. But i will judge you for it.
  • Bigchris wrote:
    Stay clear from Nokia windows phones, Seriously.
    go on, I'll bite. Why?

What bennet said about the predictive text crap, no proper google maps, crap signal, battery gets charged twice a day. In general compatibility to anything I use isn't there, certain webpages you have trouble with especially streaming and downloading. I feel there very restrictive, windows for you though, there way or the high way. Same with apple.

I had a c7 before hand and preferred that. Don't get me wrong there are a few things I prefer but the negatives far out weigh the positives imo.

The queen is a ugly German evil gremlin, for the record.
  • cooldad
    If you're into german inbreds that's your call and nobody elses. But i will judge you for it.
    Mate I'm at the point in my life where I'd have a go at a german shepherd if it was groomed nice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    If you're into german inbreds that's your call and nobody elses. But i will judge you for it.
    Mate I'm at the point in my life where I'd have a go at a german shepherd if it was groomed nice.

Nothing £40 can't sort.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Our tesco have now put up a sign on the door saying no muddy mountain bikes were allowed into the shop, as everyone was taking their bikes into the shop with them on their way home.

Needless to say, we go to Asda now.
  • Muddy bikes'll fit in well at Asda, the shop of the great un-washed