Worlds build up.

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Froome out of the TT to focus on the RR. Because he knows he's knackered, or because he thinks he might be able to get himself a stripy jumper?
  • I think we all know its the former. At this rate most of the GB boys are going to need carrying around that course on Sunday...ah well, we'll always have Paris...and Hampton Court... :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Boonen is looking veeery good.
  • Dan Martin got a chance on this course?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Dan Martin got a chance on this course?

Not a strong enough sprinter.
  • graeme_s-2
    So do you think the race will be won in a sprint from a small group of puncheurs?
  • Rick, how do you reckon the Belgies will work the Phil Gil/Boonen cards?
  • rick_chasey
    Graeme_S wrote:
    So do you think the race will be won in a sprint from a small group of puncheurs?

Yeah.

It's not that hilly, and there's a bit of time to get back on after the Cauberg.

It's more similar to the old Amstel finish which was won by guys like Museeuw rather than just the Ardenne style racers.
  • rick_chasey
    Rick, how do you reckon the Belgies will work the Phil Gil/Boonen cards?

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... g_Parcours

Boogerd chatting about the route.

Erm, Belgium.

2 options.

Plan a) have guys like van Avermaert and Roelandts go up the road, with van Avermaert covering any last lap moves from the peloton. Have Gilbert attack/ go with the attacks on the final Cauberg and have Boonen sit in the pack all day. If it gets to a sprint, it's his.

Plan b) - similar to what they did in Switzerland. Have Boonen move into big dangerous groups that go up earlier on. and sit in the wheels the whole time.

13 Cauberg's adds up when you're a big lad.
  • rick_chasey
    You've got to back Valverde, J Rod and Sagan as the top favourites, though Sagan's form's a little questionable, and he won't have a team to count on.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    If the run in to the finish after the Cauberg was a bit shorter then I think you could count Sagan out of it. But he's definitely capable of staying in touch over the Cauberg and that's all he needs to do.

The course looks made for Gilbert and Valverde. It really all comes down to who will work for who and all that jazz.
  • I'd love to see Sagan winning but I don't think he will.

The key question is what time should we start watching?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • You've got to back Valverde, J Rod and Sagan as the top favourites, though Sagan's form's a little questionable, and he won't have a team to count on.

I'm not sure about Sagan. Nobody (including Boonen) would want to take him to the finish in a group and he has no history in a race like this. As you say, he won't get any serious team help, unless he buys it.

Agree on Valverde, he and Gilbert would be my favourites. Purito is possible, but wouldn't be my favourite (he might be if it finished at the top of the Cauberg).

It's the worlds though, so we know there's a fair chance we'll get a surpass winner.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    I think it will be won by someone not suggested in this thread as a potential winner - a good all-round rider who makes a break before the last climb.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Simon Gerrans?
  • TheBigBean
    I have no one in particular in mind - just think the favourites will mark each other out of the game.
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:
    Simon Gerrans?

Always a threat. *cliche alert*

It's the standard affair really. Nothing super surprising.

Hopefully it'll be windy too in the right direction. The drag downhill after the Bemelerberg is pretty exposed, and I think the nature of the circuit, sharp climbs and shallow descents mean that it'd be pretty tough for any solo efforts. A race of survival from behind...
  • Oskar Svendsen won the Junior TT.

Apparently his VO2 Max is the highest EVER recorded.

via inrng

http://inrng.com/2012/09/junior-world-c ... more-10934
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Spanish kit is a bit odd:
    http://twitter.yfrog.com/gy4ypjyj
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    Milton50 wrote:
    Simon Gerrans?
    The drag downhill after the Bemelerberg is pretty exposed, and I think the nature of the circuit, sharp climbs and shallow descents mean that it'd be pretty tough for any solo efforts. A race of survival from behind...

You could be right, but the Olympics had an exposed 60km run in, but still ended up with a breakaway of two. Stronger teams I hear you say, but who is going to help Belgium and how committed will they really be given that they could be towing Sagan to the line and there is always the whole country / trade thing.
  • rick_chasey
    Spain are favourites.

Their team is ridiculously strong if they pull together.

Even if they don't tbh.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Milton50 wrote:
    Simon Gerrans?

Always a threat. *cliche alert*

It's the standard affair really. Nothing super surprising.

Hopefully it'll be windy too in the right direction. The drag downhill after the Bemelerberg is pretty exposed, and I think the nature of the circuit, sharp climbs and shallow descents mean that it'd be pretty tough for any solo efforts. A race of survival from behind...

Current forecast is force 3 - 4 from the SW. That would mean a following wind after the Bemerleberg but a side headwind for the last 1km or so after the Cauberg.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • graeme_s-2
    Spanish kit is a bit odd:
    http://twitter.yfrog.com/gy4ypjyj
    I quite like it, except it's a bit too much like Caisse d'Epargne's old kit.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Anyone but valverde for me. Really dislike him and dread the thought of seeing him in the bands for the next year.

If I were a betting man - I'd have a few quid on Sagan.
  • RoyPSB wrote:
    Anyone but valverde for me. Really dislike him and dread the thought of seeing him in the bands for the next year.

If I were a betting man - I'd have a few quid on Sagan.

With you re Valverde winning...that'd make me proper queasy (mind you, a Contador win would have the same effect)

As usual, Twisted Spoke has it spot on
    http://www.atwistedspoke.com/valvarde-f ... nst-truth/
  • I agree with the reconciliation bit. No need for truth, it just feeds internet trolls and keeps the whole thing going.

Some people will chose to hold grudges against previous sinners whatever happens. Its probably for the best if a line is drawn and controls and testing are tougher along with an embrace of a drug free culture. Naturally punishments should be correspondingly tougher.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I agree with the reconciliation bit. No need for truth, it just feeds internet trolls and keeps the whole thing going.

Some people will chose to hold grudges against previous sinners whatever happens. Its probably for the best if a line is drawn and controls and testing are tougher along with an embrace of a drug free culture. Naturally punishments should be correspondingly tougher.

Punishments should be career ending IMHO.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    A Hincapie fan calling for career ending bans? You can actually taste the irony.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    andyp wrote:
    A Hincapie fan calling for career ending bans? You can actually taste the irony.

In this new era of honest riding, yes.

No irony at all.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Can't help but feel career ending bans would do little to help clean up the sport...

The testing needs to be more rigorous, athletes respond logically to the situation. A two year ban is already a tremendous punishment as it is, (so long as it isn't back dated) if we say an average pro rider has a career from the ages of 22 to 35, a two year ban is 15% of your career, and career earnings. Yet riders doped because they knew they could fool the tests.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live