Worlds build up.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Its an interesting mix, actually quite pleased its not an uphill finish, got bored with those in the Vuelta...

:lol:

Cycling fans make me laugh.

Fickle.

lol was going to put a smiley but couldn't be bothered. I do think in this case hill then flat run in = less predictable. If it finished with the climb you'd be looking at a handful of likely winners probably (Gilbert, Valverde, J-Rod...)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Turfle wrote:
    Colombia have got a great looking team.

Fabio Duarte
    Rigoberto Uran
    Sergio Henao
    Nairo Quintana
    Winner Anacona
    Carlos Betancur
    Miguel Angel Rubiano

Yeah, pretty bloody good. Any idea who they are riding for? Or no clear leader? Betancur if he has the distance in the legs will be odds on to contest the win.

Betancur, Henao and Uran - all great outside chancers. Reckon Quintana will go for long 'un break.
    What's happened to Darwin Atapuma? He was at the fore in the Diddymen Climbing Festival that was this year's Giro del Trentino
    http://www.steephill.tv/giro-del-trentino/
  • BigMat wrote:
    lol was going to put a smiley but couldn't be bothered. I do think in this case hill then flat run in = less predictable. If it finished with the climb you'd be looking at a handful of likely winners probably (Gilbert, Valverde, J-Rod...)

Has a World Champs ever finished on a climb? I can't think of one. OK, last year's race was on an incline (wasn't it?) but I can't remember anything ever finishing on something like the Mur de Huy or the Cauberg.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    BigMat wrote:

Has a World Champs ever finished on a climb? I can't think of one. OK, last year's race was on an incline (wasn't it?) but I can't remember anything ever finishing on something like the Mur de Huy or the Cauberg.

It's a well designed finale, this year: the climb will scare the non-climbers; they'll be looking to stay in contention near the front but out of wind. The flat at the top will scare the pure climbers who'll be looking to put the Gilberts and Sagans out of contention as early as poss... Unfortunately, what with the way he's been building and his showing at Vuelta, can't see past Valverde.
    I hated saying that so much I had to type that last bit with a stick.
  • German National Team for the World championships, Limburg, Netherlands, September 15th-23rd

Elite Men’s road race
    Marcus Burghardt (BMC)
    John Degenkolb (Argos-Shimano)
    Linus Gerdemann (Radioshack-Nissan)
    Simon Geschke (Argos-Shimano)
    Christian Knees (Sky)
    Paul Martens (Rabobank)
    Fabian Wegmann (Garmin-Sharp)

Elite Men’s time trial
    Bert Grabsch (Omega Pharma-Quick Step)
    Patrick Gretsch (Argos-Shimano)
    Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-Quick Step)

Elite Women’s road race
    Judith Arndt (Orica-Greenedge)
    Charlotte Becker (Specialized-lululemon)
    Claudia Häusler (Orica-Greenedge)
    Romy Kasper (Rusvelo)
    Hanka Kupfernagel (Rusvelo)
    Ina Teutenberg (Specialized-lululemon)
    Trixi Worrack (Specialized-lululemon)

Elite Woman’s time trial
    Judith Arndt (Orica-Greenedge)
    Ina Teutenberg (Specialized-lululemon)
    Trixi Worrack (Specialized-lululemon)

Under-23 Men’s road race
    Nikias Arndt (LKT-Brandenburg)
    Emanuel Buchmann (Specialized)
    Michel Koch (LKT-Brandenburg)
    Jasha Sütterlin (EON Thüringer Energie Team)
    Rick Zabel (Rabobank Continental Team)

Under-23 Men’s time trial
    Jasha Sütterlin (EON Thüringer Energie Team)
    Jakob Steigmiller (Thüringer Energie Team)

Junior Men’s road race
    Phil Bauhaus (RC Bocholt)
    Jan Brockhoff (RSC Hildesheim)
    Nico Denz (Velo Bike Club Waldshut-Tiengen)
    Arne Egner (RSV Oberhausen)
    Silvio Herklotz (Stevens Hamburg)
    Maximilian Schachmann (SC Berlin)

Junior Men’s time trial
    Jan Brockhoff (RSC Hildesheim)
    Maximilian Schachmann (SC Berlin)

Junior Women’s road race
    Anna Knauer (RSC Hildesheim)
    Corinna Lechner (KSC Puch)
    Madeleine Ortmüller (RSG Buchenau)
    Ann-Leonie Wiechmann (RSC Hildesheim)

Junior Women’s time trial
    Anna Knauer (RSC Hildesheim)
    Corinna Lechner (KSC Puch)

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12845 ... z26FxvGJxj
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Uran obv.

Or Henao? They seem to be virtually the same rider at times! Uran has the greater experience though I suppose.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I think Henao is quite a bit punchier, but Uran seems to read one day races really well. Maybe Henao, Uran, Betancur to go with attacks, and Duarte to play it a bit safer. Lots of cards to play.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    Uran obv.

Or Henao? They seem to be virtually the same rider at times! Uran has the greater experience though I suppose.

Silver in the Olympics.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Turfle wrote:
    Thanks Turtle.

Is it unusual for the Worlds not to be multiple laps of a circuit?

Am I being thick here? Is 100km not a very short race?

No, that profile has me entirely confused too.

The description is this:

"The first 100 kilometres of the elite road race will not be run on a fixed circuit. By introducing a long preliminary course through a number of Limburg cycling municipalities, the Province of Limburg wishes to involve the entire region in the Road World Championships. Only after the preliminary course will the riders complete 10 laps of 16.5 kilometres on a fixed circuit that is largely the same as the course used during the 1998 Road World Championships in Valkenburg. The elite men road race will start in Maastricht and finish on Cauberg Hill in Valkenburg. This is the same location where the Tour de France stage ended in 2006. The rolling and technically demanding preliminary course for the men’s elite road race is the same as the first part of the WorldTour Amstel Gold Race. Two climbs have been included in the course, Bemelerberg Hill (a difficult, winding climb with a length of just over 900 metres and a maximum gradient of 7%) and the renowned make-or-break Cauberg Hill with a total length of 1.5 kilometres and a maximum gradient of 12%. The finish is located 1,700 metres beyond the summit of Cauberg Hill."

I wrote that description bit! (Well, I actually translated it from the original Dutch).
    It's not entirely correct though, as the Bemerleberg is winding but not very difficult really.
    I'll be in Valkenburg tomorrow so should be able to soak up some of the atmosphere. I also live just where it says, "Randwyck" on the map, so can take in the circuit without too much trouble.

Hard result to call, I think. J-Rod could do very well on the Cauberg but with the finish being in Vlit there's time for a strong guy like Gilbert to catch him. The 1.7km after the Cauberg is flat/slightly downhill though, so it should be possible for a leader to hold a small gap.

Hard to see past Vos for the women.

TT courses are interesting, I think.

Ooh, I'm all excited now!

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    BigMat wrote:

Don't think so. There's been uphill sprints, like from memory last year, Stuttgart, Benidorm, but not st the top of a real climb. I guess it would narrow down the list of candidates fir the win too much. There's been some courses with lots of climbing though, like Duitama and Sallanches, Mendriso to some degree
  • Turfle
    GB:
    Mark Cavendish
    Steve Cummings
    Alex Dowsett
    Chris Froome
    Luke Rowe
    Ian Stannard
    Ben Swift
    Jon Tiernan-Locke
    Bradley Wiggins

Very little expected of them, so you'd think all but maybe Cav, Dowsett, Rowe, Wiggins will be given the opportunity to try whatever they can try.
  • Turfle wrote:
    GB:
    Mark Cavendish
    Steve Cummings
    Alex Dowsett
    Chris Froome
    Luke Rowe
    Ian Stannard
    Ben Swift
    Jon Tiernan-Locke
    Bradley Wiggins

Very little expected of them, so you'd think all but maybe Cav, Dowsett, Rowe, Wiggins will be given the opportunity to try whatever they can try.

Yeah - sod a Plan A...just go for it, nothing to lose
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    edited September 2012
    Turfle wrote:
    GB:
    Mark Cavendish
    Steve Cummings
    Alex Dowsett
    Chris Froome
    Luke Rowe
    Ian Stannard
    Ben Swift
    Jon Tiernan-Locke
    Bradley Wiggins

Yeah - sod a Plan A...just go for it, nothing to lose

I'd love to see that, but it's not really the British Cycling way is it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Turfle
    They definitely should do zero work on the front of the peloton. Get someone in every break. Only work to bring their guys back up to groups etc. Look after JTL and Swifty until it looks like they won't make it.

Great chance to be aggressive.
  • er, no, it aint the BC way...I must have been in some parallel universe there for a minute...
  • Turfle wrote:
    They definitely should do zero work on the front of the peloton. Get someone in every break. Only work to bring their guys back up to groups etc. Look after JTL and Swifty until it looks like they won't make it.

Great chance to be aggressive.

And jettison the reigning champ ASAP.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Is Cav 'expected' to ride it as reigning champ? The course doesn't seem to suit him at all, and it seems like a wasted spot to have him ride.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    Is Cav 'expected' to ride it as reigning champ? The course doesn't seem to suit him at all, and it seems like a wasted spot to have him ride.

Yeah, couldnt really have been left out of the squad as long as he's not injured or sick - there would have been almighty screams of GB dishonouring the race etc etc. Doubt he'll do much than show the number 1 race number on the start line and be useful as possible to rest of team (rather than hindrance)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited September 2012
    Graeme_S wrote:

Think the British team get 8 riders and Cavendish as the defending champion? Don't think it's a wasted place on the team.
  • pottssteve
    Worlds update: The Death Star arrived at the Sky hotel yesterday next to where I work - I think I saw Luke Rowe wandering around with his luggage, but it was getting dark....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Given he's currently riding the Tour of Britain, somehow I doubt it was him (unless he fell asleep on the bus after yesterday's stage and woke up in Limburg).
  • pottssteve
    I guess the force wasn't with me, then....:-)

They all look the same without their helmets....
  • Voeckler’s heavy weekend schedule was a demonstration of the seriousness with which he is preparing the Worlds. On Saturday, he completed what he called a “mini Milan-San Remo” by riding the GP Impanis-Van Petegem and then training after the race, clocking up 285km in all.

Voeckler repeated that kind of effort on Sunday, riding 60 kilometres before lining up at the Grand Prix d’Isbergues, where he finished in 35th place. “I felt a bit tired, but that’s normal, because on Saturday, I racked up 285 kilometres.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Australia

Elite Men

1. Simon CLARKE (Selby, VIC 18.07.1986 / Orica-GreenEDGE) RR
    2. Allan DAVIS (Bundaberg, QLD – 27.07.80 / Orica-GreenEDGE) RR
    3. Luke DURBRIDGE (Bassendean, WA 09.04.1991 / Orica-GreenEDGE) TT
    4. Simon GERRANS (Jamieson, VIC 16.05.1980 / Orica-GreenEDGE) RR
    5. Adam HANSEN (Edmonton, QLD 11.05.1981 / Lotto-Belisol) RR
    6. Heinrich HAUSSLER (Inverell, NSW 25.02.1984 / Garmin Sharp) RR
    7. Michael MATTHEWS (Farrer, ACT 26.09.1990 / Rabobank) RR
    8. Cameron MEYER (Helena Valley, WA 11.01.1988 / Orica-GreenEDGE) TT
    9. Richie PORTE (Hadspen, TAS 30.01.1985 / Team Sky) RR
    10. Michael ROGERS (Garran, ACT 20.12.1979 / Team Sky) RR
    11. David TANNER (Williamstown, VIC 30.09.1984 / Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank) RR

Elite Women

1. Tiffany CROMWELL (Upper Sturt, SA 06.07.1988 / Orica-AIS) RR
    2. Gracie ELVIN (Yarralumla, ACT 31.10.1988 / Team Jayco-AIS) (Oceania RR Champion) RR
    3. Shara GILLOW – (Belli Park, QLD 23.12.1987 / Orica-AIS) (Oceania TT Champion) RR & TT
    4. Jessie MACLEAN (Campbell, ACT 17.10.1985 / Team Jayco-AIS) RR
    5. Rachel NEYLAN (Adelaide, SA 09.03.1982 ABUS Nutrixxion) RR
    6. Loren ROWNEY (Molendinar, QLD 14.10.1988 / Specialized-lululemon) RR
    7. Amanda SPRATT (Springwood, NSW 17.09.1987 / Orica-AIS) RR
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Rogers has pulled out now.
  • Australia

Elite Men

Elite Women

2. Gracie ELVIN (Yarralumla, ACT 31.10.1988 / Team Jayco-AIS) (Oceania RR Champion) RR
    3. Shara GILLOW – (Belli Park, QLD 23.12.1987 / Orica-AIS) (Oceania TT Champion) RR & TT

I take it that's not the final list, or do Aus have 11 riders?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    So who's the favourite going into this then? I did read that Gilbert was looking good, but I've no idea if that's still the case.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Does anyone know if there is a final start list for both the ITT and the RR anywhere?

There is a link to the starlists on this webpage but this is surely just a 'preliminary' start list because it has Geraint Thomas down as starting in the TT for instance.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Very interesting u-23 ITT going on at the moment. Would be even more interesting with live pictures. Dutch c*nts! ;)

Live updates
    http://static.sportresult.com/federations/uci/CR-node/?
  • Australia

Elite Men

Elite Women

I take it that's not the final list, or do Aus have 11 riders?

Aus have 9 for the RR. In the Cyclingnews article about Rogers being sick
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rogers- ... gh-illness

a line up's listed of Clarke, Davis, Gerrans, Hansen, Haussler, Matthews, Porte, Tanner - Haas or Salzburger named by Matt White as replacement for Rogers