Big difference between climbs and flats

13»

Comments

• Grill wrote:
    I think I'll just stick to my 1,000+ miles on the road a month (already at 500+ this month). Seems better. :mrgreen:

This can also be bad.... Over training is not good for you; I'm guessing you're a seasoned rider (not saying you're overtraining), but for the most, I see a lot of guys go out and start riding 300miles a week, after 3-4weeks, their average speed is so slow compared with when they started out.

Rest days are essential, as are well planned training rides.... I (like many others) don't have time to do 1000miles a month so I use my fewer miles to do better training; some days short, hard and fast, other days more relaxed and longer.

Simply put, you can't expect to get on a bike and be riding up there with seasoned riders, it takes a lot of time and dedication; especially over the cold winter months.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    white91 wrote:
    The point of my questions was to establish whether you have any real experience of doing squats, or you are just echoing what other people have said. The fact that you dismissed my questions as irrelevant probably means that you don't know.
    You don't need to establish if I have any experience in doing squats. They are totally irrelevant to the topic.

Please try to keep up with the topic.
    I have had knee ligament damage in the past, therefore squats are essential for preventing injury, not really the same injury as a little bruise, so details of your leg injury is relevant for understanding the benefits.
    Essential for you maybe. You don't need to know what my leg injury was, it is irrelevant to you,to the topic and to squatting.

Typical response from you
    You keep banging on about CV work (very general term) do you not realise that increasing the rep range will train your 'CV system', as well as training your core, something most would agree to be beneficial.
    Increasing your ability to sustain power output is more beneficial than squatting. Squats do not achieve that - amazingly cycling does.

Totally incorrect, squats do exactly this.
    Dismissing squats as 'bollocks' is ignorant, particularly as you don't appear to know anything about them. I suggest you research about muscle fibre recruitment, training the nervous system and injury prevention routines. Next you will be telling me swimmers don't weight train, they just swim...
    You don't actually appear to know much about anything yourself.

BSc Honours Sport and Exercise Science degree Loughborough University, do you have any credentials?
    Back to the OP, I would do all the research you can, I am a firm believer in squats, box jumps and lunges as well as upper body and core work, all these exercises can be done without access to a gym. I believe these have their place in cycling.
    Cycling has it's place in cycling.

This really adds to the discussion, perhaps you could go into less detail next time.
    People will tell you otherwise but try it and see what works for you.
    Or try cycling to get better at cycling. I know that might sound amazingly complicated, but it's true.

Again so much detail here, have you ever given advise before, I'm sure all beginners reading this will be in no doubt how to rise to the top of cycling!
  • white91
    But then of course
    He also did specific bike training,
    Says it all really.[/quote]

Please think before adding moronic posts, how on earth does that say it all? Specific bike training could amount to riding 10m on a bike!

Specific bike training is such a broad term it could mean anything, and is far from conclusive enough to 'say it all'
  • white91
    http://www.cyclesportcoaching.com/Files ... aining.pdf

Advise from someone with credentials
  • white91 wrote:
    I tend to take opinions somewhat sceptically when justifications come in the form of "It's been said that a strong muscle tires less quickly." It would be good to see some scientific basis for what he's saying rather than hearsay. That's not to say he must be wrong because of it, but it doesn't make it convincing.

EDIT - if you want to do some more reading around the subject, there's a lively (and well referenced) debate here.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    white91 wrote:

Opinions from those that are looking to push their own agendas, no matter the credentials, should be heavily scrutinized. This dude wants to sell books, training plans, and his coaching. Likewise Dr. Atkins wants to sell us all high fat, low carb food because that's how you lose weight. :roll:

Pinch of salt.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    edited September 2012
    white91 wrote:
    Please try to keep up with the topic.
    Likewise so lets talk about something that will actually improve cycling. Like cycling and more specifically. How partaking in the riding up of hills,will help a cyclist get better at doing such a task.
    white91 wrote:
    Typical response from you
    It's true though isn't it?
    white91 wrote:
    Totally incorrect, squats do exactly this.
    Squatting 100kg will help a cyclist improve their sustainable aerobic power? I would expect the holder of BSc Honours Sport and Exercise Science degree Loughborough University) to know the differences between

Strength:the ability to exert maximum, short duration force against resistance
    Muscular endurance:the ability to exert sub-maximal effort repeatedly over time
    white91 wrote:
    BSc Honours Sport and Exercise Science degree Loughborough University, do you have any credentials?
    For having a BSc honours you certainly haven't shown any of that knowledge relative to the sport we are talking about. (which just in case you forgot is cycling)
    white91 wrote:
    This really adds to the discussion, perhaps you could go into less detail next time.
    You offer very little detail yourself (for someone who holds a BSc Honours Sport and Exercise Science degree Loughborough University)
    white91 wrote:
    Again so much detail here, have you ever given advise before, I'm sure all beginners reading this will be in no doubt how to rise to the top of cycling!
    Once again for the holder of a BSc Honours Sport and Exercise Science degree Loughborough University the information you have brought to the thread has been scarce.

I'm sure though, the beginner who has two weeks experience (to whom you recommended squats) in cycling really appreciates your advice on how to get better at climbing hills. Not only has he bought a bike recently,he has now been told that in order to get better at riding it, he should join/casual visit a gym.

Give yourself a clap, you oracle of wisdom you..
    white91 wrote:
    Is this link, really what a holder of BSc Honours Sport and Exercise Science degree Loughborough University deems as suitable evidence/study to back up a point??
    I‟ve put together my thoughts on what should be a sound and effective strength training program for cycling
    So basically you've linked to someones blog? You're really only 1 step away from posting facebooks
  • philthy3 wrote:
    You're doing something your body isn't used to so going up will be difficul at first. It doesn't get easier either; you just get quicker. I'm what I term crap at hills, simply don't have the same pace uphill as more experienced riders, but I do pass people occasionally showing gains are being made. Technique can make a difference. Personally I try and remain seated, hands on top, bum pushed back on the saddle, head high, with a high cadence pushing against the pedals as I find standing uses energy more quickly. Short ramps I'll try and sprint up as quick as possible while long elevations I just find a pace and settle down for the long haul.

Power to weight is important for most I'd say; the heavier you are the more power you need to put out. If you're overweight losing it will make the biggest difference.

I appreciate that this thread has now devolved somewhat :D but the above advice was a bloody godsend last night on the way home, so thank you for positioning advice, it helped loads!
  • muzmoz wrote:
    I appreciate that this thread has now devolved somewhat
    Yes, sorry. The ding-dong on the topic is an inevitable as when someone over at Cycle Chat says that helmets should be compulsory. As much as you try to stay out of it eventually you cave in to the temptation to refute unsubstantiated hogwash.