Thank you BBC (and chrisbl4)!

13»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    bigbarofdairymilk? :lol:

PinotGand20marlborolights would have been better!

:lol:

PinotG20marlborolightsandabigbarofdairymilk is probably the ultimate. My idea of a hot date....
    Well you deserve them all, thank you forposting that. I'll even retract by comment that Shane Sutton may have been hit by a car being driven around Manchester by a girl with a Pinot G hangover.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

PinotG20marlborolightsandabigbarofdairymilk is probably the ultimate. My idea of a hot date....
    Well you deserve them all, thank you forposting that. I'll even retract by comment that Shane Sutton may have been hit by a car being driven around Manchester by a girl with a Pinot G hangover.
    Saying she was still drunk?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    dhope wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Saying she was still drunk?
    What? That MSM was pie eyed the morning after swigging bottles of Pinot G by the throat? No, I'd never suggest such a a thing.
    I never wobble to work still a few sheets to the wind, opting to take the mountain bike because it's fat bouncy tyres take the edge off the bumps in the road that cause my pea brain to rattle around the cavern that is my skull. No, not me, never.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited November 2012
    I see the BBC have an agenda now, to push helmets as A Vital Part Of Cycling.

Watching the track cycling from Glasgow last night (Red Button) and presenter Edwards got round to talking about Wiggins' incident, and how important it was that he'd had a helmet on. His guest - a real cyclist whose name I missed- was invited to agree how vital helmets are. And that lead straight to an interview with Shane Sutton based entirely on how he would certainly be dead now were it not for his helmet and which concluded with Jill Douglas almost forcing him to concede that he's lucky to be alive thanks only to his decision to wear it that day. Cut to Boardman sitting with Hugh who when invited to add his agreement on how vital it is to wear a hat launches into his speech - 35m Km per death, 250 miles away it works, where do we want to be etc. Not satisfied with this, Hugh - old school, never wore one until recently - is then prodded into agreeing that everybody should always wear one. He looked a bit uncomfortable answering, but fell into line to bring it all to a satisfactory conclusion.

So is this another stab at making helmets mandatory, with the BBC's leading the charge? It certainly feels like they have a message to push and we're going to get it at every opportuniy.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I haven't noticed any "all staff" emails pushing that as the party line. Certainly there would be plenty of us within the organisation who would resist that message if we were in a position to influence editorial policy. From where I am, though, I don't think I have much influence. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    So when they decided that despite everyone and everything in the UK being an amount of miles away from other places, and that legally all road signs must display distances in miles, and car speedos have to show MPH more prominently than KPH etc etc, did they do an All Staff email to announce the policy that every distance will be in metric? We have ridiculous scenarios of a reporter stood ankle deep in snow in a Yorkshire village informing us that the snow is 10cm deep (whoa - stop the country. No-one can survive that) and that places as far afield as York 30 kilometres away or Leeds some other number of kilometres away are unreachable. I know over in Pro Road over there they all like to think they're Belgian or French but we're not.

I doubt if the BBC goes as far as 'announcing' these new policies. They just take on a natural life of their own, and when anyone questions it the answer is oh we've always done it that way.
  • Agent57
    Er... yeah... I wasn't serious about the all-staff email. :rolleyes:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Er... yeah... I wasn't serious about the all-staff email. :rolleyes:

You have to understand that when it comes to the possibility of someone making him wear a helmet, Chris has a complete sense of humour bypass. I think he hit his head when he fell off last.
  • CiB
    Fair cop. I meant to go back and change that post but didn't.

I still don't care much for the way it's being pushed tho.
  • I agree that pushing helmets is bad.

No idea what you're banging on about km for though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BBC generally needs to remember they're there to make TV and radio.

They're not there to push any agendas nor become the news.

It's self gratified naval gazing and it's sh!t.

They spend far too much time thinking about themselves and stuff other than making TV and radio.
  • Agent57
    It's self gratified naval gazing

sailing-ships-17.jpg

?