Thank you BBC (and chrisbl4)!

phy2sll2
phy2sll2 Posts: 680
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Finally, a balanced piece on cycle safety (Breakfast, this morning).

Comments

• Amen to that. Mr Boardman put it across rather well. I totally agreed with him on view that the environment and the laws needed to change.
  • +1

only saw a minute or two as I was on my way out but he said some very sensible things in a very balanced way. Top man!!!
  • What did it say?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What did it say?

Bikeradar forumites are 10/10.

Apart from the moderators, obviously.
  • What did it say?

Bikeradar forumites are 10/10.

Apart from the moderators, obviously.

Clearly...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    'Twas very good. Compared the number of obesity related deaths with the number of cycling deaths (~30,000 to 100pa IIRC); pointed out that walking has a similar level of risk, and emphasised that 'helmets & hiviz' are not a solution, and only deal with symptoms rather than causes; and finally suggesting that a change in the way all road users treat each other would be much better than building a load of segregated cycle lanes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    rjsterry wrote:
    'Twas very good. Compared the number of obesity related deaths with the number of cycling deaths (~30,000 to 100pa IIRC); pointed out that walking has a similar level of risk, and emphasised that 'helmets & hiviz' are not a solution, and only deal with symptoms rather than causes; and finally suggesting that a change in the way all road users treat each other would be much better than building a load of segregated cycle lanes.
    I missed it as I had to leave prior but that sounds like a very good piece.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I didn't see it, but a bit of Googling lead me to the interview on 5 Live. Skip to 2:45:10.
    He's good, ain't he?

I'm looking for the the TV interview.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Found nothing on iplayer
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If only Wiggins had media training...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    My google-fu has failed me. I've emailed a friend who cycles and works at the BBC to see if they can find it. If I get it, I'll share.

McMancunia probably has a better chance of getting it than any of us though, considering she works in the building where it was broadcast from (unless it was done from a more civilised part of the country).

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    dhope wrote:

Does he need it? :D:D
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Superb interview, no tolerance for moron questions and intelligent and informed replies, well done Chris Boardman
  • Yeah very good. Smart response to the "helmets & hi-viz" chat.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    My google-fu has failed me. I've emailed a friend who cycles and works at the BBC to see if they can find it. If I get it, I'll share.

McMancunia probably has a better chance of getting it than any of us though, considering she works in the building where it was broadcast from (unless it was done from a more civilised part of the country).

Ooh nice stealth trolling EKE :lol: We're very civilised up here I'll have you know - we sometimes even eat with knives and forks! And what's with changing my name? I've gone from a very right-on "Ms" to a Rab C Nesbitt style "Mc"!!!

I'll have a look for it. Didn't see it - was cycling in - might be just on our internal system so far but will dig.

Cx
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • EKE_38BPM
    msmancunia wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Ooh nice stealth trolling EKE :lol: We're very civilised up here I'll have you know - we sometimes even eat with knives and forks! And what's with changing my name? I've gone from a very right-on "Ms" to a Rab C Nesbitt style "Mc"!!!

I'll have a look for it. Didn't see it - was cycling in - might be just on our internal system so far but will dig.

Cx

I thought you'd like my stealthiness. I meant MsMancunia, just a typo.

• rubertoe wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Does he need it? :D:D

Maybe you should start a separate thread on that?
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • msmancunia
    Oh Em Gee - I think I might have actually done it.

Pulled clip off autorot (internal system), and uploaded it to youtube (I think!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjaHH8YR ... e=youtu.be
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited September 2012
    I think I'm developing a man crush on Boardman after that (thanks MsMancunia). He speaks so eloquently and intelligently on the subject. The CTC guy they often trot out tends to get flustered or is too easily led into the "wrong" argument. Both on 5Live and BBC Breakfast Boardman was brilliant.

Think they could make him a Lord and make him Minister for Transport? ;)
  • EKE_38BPM
    msmancunia wrote:

Pulled clip off autorot (internal system), and uploaded it to youtube (I think!)

Top work MsManc!!!!

You should change the tags so that others can find it on Youtube too.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Cx

Northern, it's all the same innit. As far as I'm concerned EKE's practically Scottish.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I think I'm developing a man crush on Boardman after that (thanks MsMancunia). He's speaks so eloquently and intelligently on the subject. The CTC guy they often trot out tends to get flustered or is too easily led into the "wrong" argument. Both on 5Live and BBC Breakfast Boardman was brilliant.

Think they could make him a Lord and make him Minister for Transport? ;)
    Funny you should say that as that is just what I was thinking. Lord Boardman of Bikingshire?

• EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Cx

Northern, it's all the same innit. As far as I'm concerned EKE's practically Scottish.

To be sure, to be sure.

• msmancunia
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Top work MsManc!!!!

You should change the tags so that others can find it on Youtube too.

I am so impressed with myself managing to do that. It was dead easy too - the world* (*read: relatively new BBC archive) is my oyster!

Will try and change the tags, but don't hold your breath. One tiny techy step at a time.... :D
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I always felt Mr Boardman was a bit of a tit but I'm starting to come round to liking him as a pro cycling campaigner still not a fan of his commentating though.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    He's top bloke, bot as cyclist, commentator / summariser and also as a not-a-great-fan-of-helmets-really. Shame that in the R5L clip that was linked earlier Nicky Campbell cut him dead as soon as s sportsman appeared.
  • Thanks Ms M - really good interview. Always liked the bloke and that just reinforces my view. Very level and gets to the heart of the issue.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    There is a change happening, you can just see the numbers of people cycling now. London will lead it as it's so suited to making local journeys by bike, then the country as a whole will benefit. It may take another 5 years or so to see some proper infrastructure but sensible points (and airtime given to it) are being made. It's all positive really, just needs some political guts.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    msmancunia wrote:

Nice one, hopefully you haven't broken any rules in putting that up 8)