Best example of "The bad old days"

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah. My overriding memories of that stage were:

1)he got through about 200 bottles or something. Remember thinking that was really odd. Not sure why.

2) he was so ANGRY at the finish. Never seen someone so up for a fight like that, especially after the kind of effort he put in.

The best bit of that whole saga for me was Richard "only in July" Williams of the Guardian writing that he knew Landis would test positive because of his "wild staring eyes" :roll: Utter baws.

Didn't he say in the Kimmage interview that the bottles were a strategy to keep his core temperature down to enable him to sustain the effort longer?

Probably. Not saying it's remotely related to the doping, it just sticks in the memory.

The stage itself was properly boring so it's the small things you remember.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

The best bit of that whole saga for me was Richard "only in July" Williams of the Guardian writing that he knew Landis would test positive because of his "wild staring eyes" :roll: Utter baws.
    1995 that's the description I used about Riis while on the Stage 9 climb to La Plagne.
    Bulging staring eyes as the 5th rider behind Indurain. Zulle had gone by approx 6 mins earlier.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Thinking about it it's quite sad really.

'98 was the first year I started watching.

I fell in love with what turns out to be massively dope fueled racing.
    but are they good memories?

It occured to me that my favourite cycling moments seem to involve cheating, but I still remember them fondly.
  • rick_chasey
    liquor box wrote:
    Thinking about it it's quite sad really.

It occured to me that my favourite cycling moments seem to involve cheating, but I still remember them fondly.

They do, for sure, but there's a little tinge to them now.

I think the gradual move away from doping has had a side effect of making GTs less interesting to me too, though I imagine it's not just the doping or lack of that's causing that.
  • liquor box wrote:
    Thinking about it it's quite sad really.

They do, for sure, but there's a little tinge to them now.

I think the gradual move away from doping has had a side effect of making GTs less interesting to me too, though I imagine it's not just the doping or lack of that's causing that.
    The Vuelta is quite good with a couple of ex cheats mixing it every day.
  • As an unrepentant Vino 'fanboy' I nominate TdF 2007 Albi TT.
    As I watched even I knew he had over-stepped the mark, and what we were seeing was quite bizarre.  He took an almighty gamble... 
    - He was way down on GC, he couldn't win the race
    - He had raced over a week with injuries he wasn't able to recover from.  I was wishing he would just abandon and fight another day.
    - He had the UCI with Ann Gripper breathing down his neck, and was being targeted (men in black)
    - He was being quizzed (by Kimmage) over his associations with Ferrari (OK for Armstrong why not for me?)

But then again, what a ride!  He managed to stay upright on a very technical course in the rain when others crashed (Cancellara, Kloden, Kash etc.). 
    The images are quite iconic, the bandages, the flashy Kazakh flag wheels, the grimace, the puss, this p*ss,the dribble, the rain.  Its all ingrained in the memory.

As a footnote, with all the talk of the UCI protecting certain riders, if Vinokourov had any idea that this was going on, is it any wonder that he has not shown any remorse?.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Vuelta 2012 stage 17?
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:
    Vuelta 2012 stage 17?

Bore off. That kind of chat is for when the glow of the race has worn off.
  • bompington wrote:
    Vuelta 2012 stage 17?

You beat me to it :lol:
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    bompington wrote:
    Vuelta 2012 stage 17?

+1. However it's disqualified from this discussion on the basis that it happened less than 12 hours ago and thus doesn't constitute 'old'.
  • Lol. You guys are so sad. I really do find it bizzare why you post here...would have thought you'd be more likely to be over at the clinic...but then maybe you got burnt there
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Lol. You guys are so sad. I really do find it bizzare why you post here...would have thought you'd be more likely to be over at the clinic...but then maybe you got burnt there

Shouldn't you be watching some old Lance dvds ?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Also, is that any worse than Roubaix 1996?

by a country mile if you saw it

they just rode off on a completely innocuous piece of road
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pantani '98 - Duex Alps.................epic EPO ride that.............I was on Duex Alps that day (4 hours in the p*ssing down rain) and he rode up like a bullet. Amazing.

I'd put any of Pharmstrongs wild showings a closae 2nd.

3rd Riise's '96 efforts. Looke like his eyes are gonna pop out of his head.
  • Here's that Basso one in 06... It's just ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvH49ZInYE
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Yeah. My overriding memories of that stage were:

1)he got through about 200 bottles or something. Remember thinking that was really odd. Not sure why.

2) he was so ANGRY at the finish. Never seen someone so up for a fight like that, especially after the kind of effort he put in.

ha he looked like he was going to punch someone, anyone! and the bit where he punctured was a classic too

his victory salute was one handed and so powerful I thought he had lost his balance and was about to fall off...the guys was pumped up
  • Just watching the Landis one from 06 as well... I'd never noticed his "sportive" stem!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • The bad old days.................yer can't beat this ! We didn't need EPO (none about in 1980).

Just Newky Brown and fried eggs......................

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 7116&saved