Best example of "The bad old days"

Comments

• Crazy that Indurain could ride like that in '95, and a year later collapse.

And win the Olympic TT?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Crazy that Indurain could ride like that in '95, and a year later collapse.

And win the Olympic TT?

Forgot that.

Was thinking the '96 TdF.
  • Crazy that Indurain could ride like that in '95, and a year later collapse.

And win the Olympic TT?

Forgot that.

Was thinking the '96 TdF.

And the Dauphine, won that in '96 as well. But I think you are right, dominant in '95 and then retired by the Vuelta a year later. Didn't hang about for long. But then I get the feeling that he was never really that bothered with it all.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    pb21 wrote:

That one was great, counting the recovery between flat out attacks is a total joke, really funny to watch.

• Yeah, was going to post this one. Totally ridiculous difference in speeds.

Sella's multi col solo rides were out of this World.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

That one was great, counting the recovery between flat out attacks is a total joke, really funny to watch.

I only started to watch cycling around 2004 and this was the first time I was laughing as I was watching. Until this point I was incredibly naive, even Landis fooled me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI9_SIJrhTo
    Mañana
  • pb21 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

I only started to watch cycling around 2004 and this was the first time I was laughing as I was watching. Until this point I was incredibly naive, even Landis fooled me!

Funny how he can do the same thing every race he chooses to every year, even doing it yesterday and gapping them for 50m in a few heartbeats. Must be pure natural talent.

Dont forget that despite it looking very exciting, he got a total of 58 secs on the chasers (not heavyweights) after attacking as far out as he did.
    10 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.31
    11 Michael Rasmussen (Den) Rabobank
    12 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.47
    13 Cadel Evans (Aus) Predictor - Lotto 6.27
    14 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi
    15 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank
    16 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
    17 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana
    18 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
    19 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC
    20 Andrey Kashechkin (Kaz) Astana
    21 Johann Tschopp (Swi) Bouygues Telecom
    22 Serguei Ivanov (Rus) Astana
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    Funny how he can do the same thing every race he chooses to every year, even doing it yesterday and gapping them for 50m in a few heartbeats. Must be pure natural talent.

Eh? You're comparing yesterday with that!? Nmind.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    JonGinge wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    What was that climb that Ricco and his team mate came 1 and 2 on, and they werent even breathing hard at the top ? I think he got busted shortly after.
    hautacam 2008? That was piepoli and cobo. Piepoli looked easy, cobo not so much

That would be mine too - Somehow it's worse because by then we all knew we were watching a dope fuelled ride, but still the sport was treating us like fools.

At least with the late 1990's /early 2000's we were too naive to realise.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pb21 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

How could I have forgotten flandis?

And on the subject of long breaks in the mountains how about Chiapucci into sestriere?
  • mfin wrote:

The others are doped, Contador has pure natural talent. Keep up man! :wink:

FF just refuses to let reality get in the way.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

The others are doped, Contador has pure natural talent. Keep up man! :wink:

FF just refuses to let reality get in the way.

I get the love-in bit, I don't get how the posted ride compares to yesterday that's all.
  • mfin wrote:

I get the love-in bit, I don't get how the posted ride compares to yesterday that's all.

Nor me, but bertie did attack and put distance into the rest, so it's nearly the same.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Di Luca in the Giro against Menchov was pretty outrageous as well. He was attacking on every slight incline.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    MrTapir wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    I forget the name of the climb, but in the '99 Giro, Pantani had a mechanical at the bottom of the climb, stopped to fix it, sprinted back up to the leaders who had attacked him anyway, then ended up dropping them all before the top.

The Oropa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-J2bIsPDH8

Always worth another viewing.

Is it Chiapucci at the front of the big group about 1:56? And Jalabert in the French jersey? That is quite an incredible video.

I'm quite glad that its not like that anymore, its like the cycling equivalent of Rocky IV.
    No it looks like Simoni I think Definitely Jalabert tho in French champ's jersey. Love this - the way the team mate's come back one by one.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    FJS wrote:
    The 1994 Fleche Wallonne Gewiss Ballan team 1-2-3 .
    That was the race after which Ferrari, their team doctor, made his EPO is no more dangerous than orange juice comment

+1

that was mad
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    mfin wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og76z4kGMQU&feature=related

Same thing but with Phil n Paul usual rubbish
    Blimey, that music brings back a few memories!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aah yes cobo and piepoli on the Hautacam - cheers. So dodgy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJl2zixO ... ata_player
  • FJS wrote:
    That was the race after which Ferrari, their team doctor, made his EPO is no more dangerous than orange juice comment

and Gewiss winning Tirreno Adriatico and MSR with Giorgio Furlan, LBL with Berzin, the Giro with Berzin and the Tour of Lombardy with the well known Vladislav Bobrik :roll:

In 1995 they set the record for the fastest TTT which stood for 10 years until Discovery Channel broke it.....
  • Yesterday's stage was a good example, the red jersey reminded me of the way basso was when he destroyed simoni
  • Minus the "riding away from one of the world's best climbers with your mouth shut" bit?

I always get really hacked off watching the 05 Giro on my (12 hour long) DVD of it... "Savoldelli has worked with Lance Armstrong, who taught him how to turn the pedals faster!" from guess who?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:

+1

that was mad

Can't find it on youtube :(.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, is that any worse than Roubaix 1996?
  • pb21 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Dont forget that despite it looking very exciting, he got a total of 58 secs on the chasers (not heavyweights) after attacking as far out as he did.
    10 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.31
    11 Michael Rasmussen (Den) Rabobank
    12 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.47
    13 Cadel Evans (Aus) Predictor - Lotto 6.27
    14 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi
    15 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank
    16 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
    17 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana
    18 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
    19 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Team CSC
    20 Andrey Kashechkin (Kaz) Astana
    21 Johann Tschopp (Swi) Bouygues Telecom
    22 Serguei Ivanov (Rus) Astana

Mmm Evans & Sastre were no mugs, widely considered to be he cleanest of recent tour winners. That clip, with the two dopers head v head was the reason Evans didn't win is first tour a tad earlier.
    Sastre winning the tour a year later, the reason apparently for Armstrong's comeback, enough said.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    It's worrying that almost every memorable moment of the last 20 years more or less gets mentioned! One that hasn't been yet is Hamilton on Stage 16 of the 2003 Tour, 142km solo break to win by nearly 2 minutes with a broken collarbone and went on to finish 4th overall. I liked to give riders the benefit of the doubt up until then.
  • rick_chasey
    Landis was the first time I remember watching and not believing what I saw happening live infront of me - which is pretty rare for me. I usually only tend to feel that way in hindsight.
  • Landis was the first time I remember watching and not believing what I saw happening live infront of me - which is pretty rare for me. I usually only tend to feel that way in hindsight.
    But it was a great ride, I've never laughed as loud for ages.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. My overriding memories of that stage were:

1)he got through about 200 bottles or something. Remember thinking that was really odd. Not sure why.

2) he was so ANGRY at the finish. Never seen someone so up for a fight like that, especially after the kind of effort he put in.
  • Yeah. My overriding memories of that stage were:

1)he got through about 200 bottles or something. Remember thinking that was really odd. Not sure why.

2) he was so ANGRY at the finish. Never seen someone so up for a fight like that, especially after the kind of effort he put in.

The best bit of that whole saga for me was Richard "only in July" Williams of the Guardian writing that he knew Landis would test positive because of his "wild staring eyes" :roll: Utter baws.

Didn't he say in the Kimmage interview that the bottles were a strategy to keep his core temperature down to enable him to sustain the effort longer?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yeah. My overriding memories of that stage were:

ha he looked like he was going to punch someone, anyone! and the bit where he punctured was a classic too