Vuelta Stage 14 * SPOILER*

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I definitely think he's got a grand tour in him, but in a couple of years.

He's definitely good enough to win a GT. Just not when he's got thousands of hard miles in his legs and not when he rides like a complete clown.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Anybody else thinking the performances of J-Rod are a bit too good to true ???

Just saying.................

No. I think he's beating a shattered Froome, a nowhere near his best Contador, and Valverde who has been distinctly average since his comeback.
  • Anybody else thinking the performances of J-Rod are a bit too good to true ???

Much more Valverde then Joaquim.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    For the muppets who during the TDF claimed Froome was the strongest rider, here you go. On the stage where he attacked Wiggo and was orderred back, you can see now what probably would have happened. These type of short explosive efforts can kill you and rarely open up large gaps but they can loose you time when you blow.
    J-Rod rode perfect race fair play to him. Glad he caught and passed Bertie. I think he can win this noiw, will give him huge confidence.

+1

It was bad enough a convicted doper winning Olympic gold. Please let's not have another one winning a GT.

However apriliarider does have a point. Maybe being Spanish in this instance isn't ideal given the pathetic way they deal with doping
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Contador must be feeling sick after another kick in the balls. Although I don't understand why he is attacking so late. He has his team ride all day and attacks at like 1.5Km to go. J Rod will take that all day long.

Saxo tactics tomorrow from Rozzers DS school.

Get a man in the break or two.
    Have Katusha ride on the front all day wearing the guys out.
    Just before the final climb get the Saxo boys to drill it on the front.
    Contador attack with 5+ Km to go and bridge to the guys from the break who can pace him.

Only way he will beat J Rod, he needs to put J Rod under pressure early, force J Rod to close him down with more than an explosive finish.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Turfle wrote:
    For the muppets who during the TDF claimed Froome was the strongest rider, here you go. On the stage where he attacked Wiggo and was orderred back, you can see now what probably would have happened. These type of short explosive efforts can kill you and rarely open up large gaps but they can loose you time when you blow.
    J-Rod rode perfect race fair play to him. Glad he caught and passed Bertie. I think he can win this noiw, will give him huge confidence.

This clearly isn't the same Froome from the Tour though.

The one that had spare energy because he had a team of heavyweights riding on the front for Wiggins, made a few little 10 metre digs and everyone went 'Wow!'. No, this is the same Froome. Valverde has a Tour in his legs this year. Sure Froome is tired, but wasnt what he was saying coming into the Vuelta. Think some people have gotten way ahead of themselves with Froome, gutsy today? maybe. Tactically stupid? Competely. Not looking so good without Brad thats for sure... (and yes, he looked good in last years Vuelta, agains Cobo!?)
  • Turfle wrote:

No. I think he's beating a shattered Froome, a nowhere near his best Contador, and Valverde who has been distinctly average since his comeback.

Or is it a shattered Froome, clean Bertie and clean Valverde ???

I just don't buy the monstering of every type of climb and the massive improvement in the TT
  • Turfle wrote:

Sure, he has a Tour in his legs coming to the Vuelta, but one of his problems in the past (2010 and up to last year's Vuelta) was always that he was lousy at pacing his own efforts. He'd go haring off on some crazy chase, and then blow up. Since then Wiggins has been guiding him thorough their races together - he even had to shout to him to hold something back so that he'd be able to get the jump on Evans to take Stage 7. Today shows that Froome's still not learnt. That was a dumb time to jump.
  • Turfle
    Turfle wrote:

The one that had spare energy because he had a team of heavyweights riding on the front for Wiggins, made a few little 10 metre digs and everyone went 'Wow!'. No, this is the same Froome. Valverde has a Tour in his legs this year. Sure Froome is tired, but wasnt what he was saying coming into the Vuelta. Think some people have gotten way ahead of themselves with Froome, gutsy today? maybe. Tactically stupid? Competely. Not looking so good without Brad thats for sure... (and yes, he looked good in last years Vuelta, agains Cobo!?)

Valverde finished 40 minutes behind Froome at the Tour. 40.

Froome from the Tour doesn't lose by 39 seconds to Kessiakoff in a TT. Or only beat Valverde by 29 seconds, and Rodriguez by 37.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Which riders could have won today's stage where you wouldn't think it was too good to be true?
  • Haven't seen the stage, but from the ticker sounds like J Rod rode really well. He's definitely got the upper hand.

Exciting racing!
  • Turfle
    Quintana continues to underwhelm so far this Vuelta. Really impressive from Talanksy.
  • afx237vi wrote:

Which riders could have won today's stage where you wouldn't think it was too good to be true?

Dunno really - just doesn't sit well with me - we have seen it before (eg LA) when riders are comfortable to let someone go knowing full well they have the "assistance" to get them back

Sincerely hope I am wrong as its fab to watch :D
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Have the Lotto guys got over their bug yet ? I really hope Adam Hansen can get through the next few days. To do 3 GT in one year would be an amazing achievement these days. Who else has done it recently ?
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Contador must be feeling sick after another kick in the balls. Although I don't understand why he is attacking so late. He has his team ride all day and attacks at like 1.5Km to go. J Rod will take that all day long.

Contador attack with 5+ Km to go and bridge to the guys from the break who can pace him.

Only way he will beat J Rod, he needs to put J Rod under pressure early, force J Rod to close him down with more than an explosive finish.

I suppose I'm the only one here to say this, but I think your J Rod was a real bastard today.

Didn't put all that effort in all day long, just rode at the back of the Saxo train, then whupped Contador at the finish instead of gifting a stage. Call me naive if you want, but there was another hero who never gifted a stage either - who was it? Merckx? Armstrong? Have I ever seen Contador gift a stage? Yes.
  • Turfle
    Lichtblick wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

I suppose I'm the only one here to say this, but I think your J Rod was a real bastard today.

Didn't put all that effort in all day long, just rode at the back of the Saxo train, then whupped Contador at the finish instead of gifting a stage. Call me naive if you want, but there was another hero who never gifted a stage either - who was it? Merckx? Armstrong? Have I ever seen Contador gift a stage? Yes.

Why on earth would JRod gift Contador a stage?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Lichtblick wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Apart from anything else there are time bonuses in the Vuelta.
  • I feel like I'm watching the Giro all over again.
    A whole 3 kms of action, today.............but the usual finale and result.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The initial part of Contador's attacks are always so exciting. Now you see him, now you don't. 50m in a few heartbeats.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Why would J-Rod gift Contador a stage, when the race is a long way from over, and there are bonus seconds to be had?!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Eh? This is the Vuelta. not a kids birthday party. As for sitting at the back of the Saxo train..it was Saxo's tactics to have almost all their guys at the front to set a hard pace and shell out people. Why would Katusha want to expend their energy trying to take that over?
  • Turfle
    The initial part of Contador's attacks are always so exciting. Now you see him, now you don't. 50m in a few heartbeats.

But you see him again 1km up the road. Still not strong/fit/whatever enough to sustain those attacks.
  • Anybody else thinking the performances of J-Rod are a bit too good to true ???

I dont think so, he has always been a very good rider, especially on short steep finishes but over the last year or so has improved his TT loads and also longer climbs. Valverde on the other hand? Not so sure.
  • froomewiggo.jpeg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Froome's knackered. It's too much for him to accomplish. Perhaps the attack was one of desperation. I don't think it is fair to roast him over that. It's also unfair at this point to conclude that he is too inept and wouldn't have won the TdF (although the right man did win). He was fresher then and Nibs, Valv and Cuddles weren't slugging it out in quite the way Bertie, Rodders and Valv are here.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    ...but there was another hero who never gifted a stage either - who was it? Merckx? Armstrong? Have I ever seen Contador gift a stage? Yes.

Err, I've seen Armstrong gift a stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPXHK7I1iQ#t=80
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Lichtblick wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

I'm sorry but wtf you talking about? J Rod would never gift a stage as there are time bonuses plus it is Contador, one of the best GT riders cycling has seen. J Rod isn't a good a climber as Contador but Contadors tactics are all wrong, god knows what they are talking about on the bus in a morning. They are being stupid attacking so late, J Rod probably has the most explosive finish in the peloton (excluding sprinters), they need to put him under pressure early where he needs more than just an explosive finish. But fair play to J Rod, he is doing brilliantly so far.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

I'm sorry but wtf you talking about? J Rod would never gift a stage as there are time bonuses plus it is Contador, one of the best GT riders cycling has seen. J Rod isn't a good a climber as Contador but Contadors tactics are all wrong, god knows what they are talking about on the bus in a morning. They are being stupid attacking so late, J Rod probably has the most explosive finish in the peloton (excluding sprinters), they need to put him under pressure early where he needs more than just an explosive finish. But fair play to J Rod, he is doing brilliantly so far.

Gifting a stage with time bonuses in a race this close and in such exalted company would be the ultimate panache!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Gifting a stage with time bonuses in a race this close and in such exalted company would be the ultimate panache!

Stopping before the finish line, looking at your watch, waiting for your rival to finish before crossing the line. TRUE CHAMPION.
  • afx237vi wrote:

Stopping before the finish line, looking at your watch, waiting for your rival to finish before crossing the line. TRUE CHAMPION.

Stopping at the top of a climb to eat an ice cream...

Oh wait, that's been done!