Stupid idea?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    R I C K K K K K ! ! !

GTV's getting stressed and wound up. I think you should ban him for a week so he can calm down!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Rolf F wrote:
    R I C K K K K K ! ! !

GTV's getting stressed and wound up. I think you should ban him for a week so he can calm down!

I keep trying, but nothing happens - I don't think that I am cool enough for a ban....yet.
  • gtvlusso
    Slowbike wrote:
    I'm not weaselling at all - the OPs question was if cycling on pavements should be legalised as it is a law that is largely ignored ..
    I've tried to show you the grey areas of pavement/shared path - but you've point blanked refused to see the similarities ...
    Now I question your kids riding - and you now come up with a difference of a cyclist and child riding a bike ...

Surely it's black and white isn't it? It's got wheels - it should be on the road ... except you and I both accept that it's not sensible for a child to ride on the road ...

But you didn't answer - have your kids ridden on the pavement? If you don't want to answer that - did you - as a child ride on the pavement? ... Remember - it's illegal to do so ... that's what the law says.

You are a weasel!!!!!! I knew you would go down the 'well if kids can, then it is okay for me to' route - no, it isn't okay for you - you are older wiser and should be more road aware, your abilities to assess and your senses will be more in tune with what is going on around you - kids just think; 'bike to park to see mates....' and that is the sum total of the thought process when riding a bike. Do you think that peds and other road users assess kids in the same way they may assess you for being on the path? Do you want to be treated as a child?

Pavement riding laws are enforced in Bristol - signs everywhere to stop people riding on the pavement, but each chief constable puts there resources where required by the local crime stats....

There is no grey - it is a pavement. Not a shared cyclepath.

Are you a child or a minor? If not, ride on the road.

As kids, yes, my 2 rode on the pavement, when they gathered some road sense and awareness and confidence on a bike, they rode on the road. Where I was bought up, there was no pavement, road only.....However, I learned to ride on a very quiet rural dead end street - no pavement.

Kids are way different to the likes of you or I riding on the pavement - that is what the OP is referring to, adult commuters and this is an adult forum about commuting....not families or kids.

So, lets stay on topic here; Don't ride on the pavement.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    gtvlusso wrote:
    There is no grey - it is a pavement.

Pavement outside my window looks pretty grey. Someone just cycled past on it. Then someone else passed on the CSH which was blue. The road is also grey. What a crazy crazy world.

Don't ride on the pavement.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    gtvlusso wrote:
    You are a weasel!!!!!! I knew you would go down the 'well if kids can, then it is okay for me to' route - no, it isn't okay for you - you are older wiser and should be more road aware, your abilities to assess and your senses will be more in tune with what is going on around you - kids just think; 'bike to park to see mates....' and that is the sum total of the thought process when riding a bike. Do you think that peds and other road users assess kids in the same way they may assess you for being on the path? Do you want to be treated as a child?

Pavement riding laws are enforced in Bristol - signs everywhere to stop people riding on the pavement, but each chief constable puts there resources where required by the local crime stats....

There is no grey - it is a pavement. Not a shared cyclepath.

Are you a child or a minor? If not, ride on the road.

As kids, yes, my 2 rode on the pavement, when they gathered some road sense and awareness and confidence on a bike, they rode on the road. Where I was bought up, there was no pavement, road only.....However, I learned to ride on a very quiet rural dead end street - no pavement.

Kids are way different to the likes of you or I riding on the pavement - that is what the OP is referring to, adult commuters and this is an adult forum about commuting....not families or kids.

So, lets stay on topic here; Don't ride on the pavement.

Do you not see what you're saying - the LAW is clear - NOBODY is legally allowed to cycle on the pavement - yet you're now saying it's fine for children to do so ...

So you're agreeing that the law is not always correct ...

Oh Mr Black and White - your colours are running in the wash ...
  • gtvlusso
    LOL - I know that's what you'd do!

You are so low and lame!!!!!!

Yes, the law is the law - it is still illegal, but no officer in this land would do a child for riding on the pavement - but this does not excuse you for riding on the pavement. In your case - it is black and white - you are older and know better than a child- Please answer the questions that you have selectively avoided in the previous mail......

Do not distract from the point and this forum; the point is should riding on the pavement be legalised - the overwhelming answer is No, it should not.

Please answer the questions regarding your age/mental abilities? Are you in the same position as a child mentally or physically? - I think the answer is no. Therefore, you are very much in the wrong and non discretion of an officer, legally and you tarnish all of us 'real' cyclists with your pavement antics - we manage on the roads, why don't you?! Do you want to be a child all your life?

There is still no excuse for you as an adult: Don't ride on the pavement.
  • slowbike
    gtvlusso wrote:
    LOL - I know that's what you'd do!

You are so low and lame!!!!!!
    I thought you didn't want personal insults to come into this? Oh well ...
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Yes, the law is the law - it is still illegal, but no officer in this land would do a child for riding on the pavement
    So you accept that sometimes laws are not enforced - and the reason here is that is because it is unreasonable to expect a (small?) child to ride on the road.

Definition of a minor - from Wiki - so I hope it's correct -it looks about right.
    In England and Wales and in Northern Ireland a minor is a person under the age of 18;[3] in Scotland, under the age of 16.[4] The age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales and in Northern Ireland is 10; and 12 in Scotland, formerly 8 which was the lowest age in Europe
    So - are you considering the law to be ignored for a minor or just those under the age of criminal responsibility?
    gtvlusso wrote:
    but this does not excuse you for riding on the pavement. In your case - it is black and white - you are older and know better than a child- Please answer the questions that you have selectively avoided in the previous mail......
    Er - it's not mail - it's a post .. on a forum ... are you getting confused?
    You're right - I do know better than a child - I know what the limits of my capabilities are, I know what is reasonable, I know what is selfish, I know what is dangerous and I know how to mitigate that danger.
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Do not distract from the point and this forum; the point is should riding on the pavement be legalised - the overwhelming answer is No, it should not.
    But you've said yourself that it is fine for a child/minor to ride on the pavement - so I assume you'd like to see that legalised?

The OP made no mention of age or ability - just a blanket "should it be legal to ride on the pavement" ... there's lots of naysayers who may not mean quite what they say - a bit like you really - but if you can't see beyond the black and white then there really is little hope of reason..
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Therefore, you are very much in the wrong and non discretion of an officer, legally and you tarnish all of us 'real' cyclists with your pavement antics - we manage on the roads, why don't you?!
    Look back at my contributions to this thread - the distinction between what is a pavement and what is a cyclepath or shared facility has distinctly blurred. Often there are few markings and the "facilities" are identical. The council decide where to make these cyclepaths or shared facilities and it's safe to assume the decision isn't an overnight process.
    So, the council have decided it is safe (and legal) to ride on a shared pavement/cyclepath facility in one place, but have not made a ruling on another almost identical facility - is it any less safe to do so?
    For all you know, next week it'll have a cyclepath sign on it ...

Do the police take an interest? Not really - a few isolated cases - pedestrianised areas or if someone is riding dangerously ... yet you seem to take such umbrance at the concept of anyone riding safely on the pavement.

If you want a little look at what else is illegal in the UK
    BBC - silly laws
    STRANGE-BUT-TRUE LAWS
    It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle
    A bed may not be hung out of a window
    Taxi drivers are required to ask all passengers if they have smallpox or the plague
    Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI)
    Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin
    Throughout the whole of England it is illegal to eat mince pies on the 25th of December
    It is illegal to be drunk on licensed premises
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Will you two just get a room and get it over with.

All this bubbling sexual tension isn't good for anyone.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gtvlusso
    bails87 wrote:

I am like a coiled spring.... :shock:
  • slowbike
    bails87 wrote:
    I've got me own room thank you ... no - he's not invited! ;)

bails87 wrote:
    You get turned on by all this?! :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    gave up quoting/reading that lot.

@slowbike - simple question.

As an adult you believe that it is okay for you, on your commute to ride on the pavement? Yes or no?
  • slowbike
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gave up quoting/reading that lot.
    Do you often suffer from lack of concentration? ;)
    gtvlusso wrote:

As an adult you believe that it is okay for you, on your commute to ride on the pavement? Yes or no?
    Simple answer No ..

Reason behind the answer ..
    For the reason being that there are mostly no pavements anyway and where there are, the roads (country A roads) are no more dangerous for me to ride on than where there are none.

My previous place of work was slightly different - most of the journey was covered by shared path - but the last bit included a turn off a major roundabout.
    On the return journey it would be unsafe for a cyclist to attempt that roundabout (it is dangerous enough in a car!) and so a short ride on the pavement avoided that junction completely. Of course, the option to walk around is there, however, with the distinct lack of pedestrians riding along that section had no negative affect on anyone else.
    It's not as though there was no police presence - I don't recall seeing one there, but they never stopped me - which I'm sure they would've done had they considered it an issue.

If you want to MTFU on that roundabout - be my guest - I know of car drivers who are scared of it ... well, not the roundabout, it isn't scary - but the way some ppl drive around it can be!
  • Strangely it's no longer against the law up here (Scotland) to cycle anywhere, really. Other than trampling over gardens or through working farmyards, you can ride anywhere with relative impunity. Most of us don't, of course, as it's ungentlemanly, but it's legal.

I haven't seen too many people squished, yet, but you never know.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I thought it was still illegal on pavements, but open land, moor, mountains, fields, "off road" footpaths etc, it was okay, as long as it's done with some sense.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    I thought it was still illegal on pavements, but open land, moor, mountains, fields, "off road" footpaths etc, it was okay, as long as it's done with some sense.

Nope, apparently OK on pavements too:

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/o ... ss-rights/

But again, done with some sense should be the key phrase.
  • slowbike
    bails87 wrote:
    as long as it's done with some sense.
    That's the key bit really isn't it ... :roll:
  • gtvlusso
    Slowbike wrote:
    Do you often suffer from lack of concentration? ;)

No, I am very busy running a technical team that spans 5 timezones.....And I have conf calls to the USA to do tonight.
    gtvlusso wrote:

Slowbike wrote:
    Simple answer No ..

I did not ask for reasoning, I just asked the question.

Point made, I believe...Move on people, nothing to see here.
  • slowbike
    gtvlusso wrote:

Slowbike wrote:
    Simple answer No ..

Ah - selective quoting - wonderful isn't it ...

you're right - nothing to see here - you don't seem to see reasons for things being the way they are and want everything to be black and white .. well it isn't .. live with it.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    gtvlusso wrote:
    No, I am very busy running a technical team that spans 5 timezones.....And I have conf calls to the USA to do tonight.

I think we can safely say you have not been very busy today.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gtvlusso
    Slowbike wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Slowbike wrote:
    Simple answer No ..

you're right - nothing to see here - you don't seem to see reasons for things being the way they are and want everything to be black and white .. well it isn't .. live with it.

Doing most of this whilst on conf call, still, I will ask again as you are doing my nut:

'As an adult; do you believe that it is okay for you, on your commute, to ride on the pavement? Yes or no?

You have already answered 'No' - I don't care why, I am not interested in reasoning or excuses. This is a basic and very simple question and you now have an opportunity to change your answer if you wish - remember; yes or no.
  • gtvlusso
    pangolin wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I think we can safely say you have not been very busy today.

Amazing how quickly you can type when someone is being silly.....

When is a pavement not a pavement, when slowbike rides on it - because if no peds are on the pavement it must be a road..... :shock:

And we wonder why cyclists get so much abuse - the more we stick to the rules and the more that we show tolerance, the better we will be treated..........Jeez (get my Mr Grumpy shirt out...)
  • slowbike
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Slowbike wrote:
    Simple answer No ..

Doing most of this whilst on conf call, still, I will ask again as you are doing my nut:

'As an adult; do you believe that it is okay for you, on your commute, to ride on the pavement? Yes or no?

You have already answered 'No' - I don't care why, I am not interested in reasoning or excuses. This is a basic and very simple question and you now have an opportunity to change your answer if you wish - remember; yes or no.

As you don't seem to appreciate the reasoning then I'll not give you a straight forward answer as you'll misinterpret it.
  • slowbike
    gtvlusso wrote:
    When is a pavement not a pavement,
    Ah - now we're getting there ...

the answer is of course ...

When the council have declared it a cycleway ..
  • gtvlusso
    Slowbike wrote:
    As you don't seem to appreciate the reasoning then I'll not give you a straight forward answer as you'll misinterpret it.

How the hell am I going to misinterpret 'yes' or 'no'?!

1 more time, just to be sure;

• gtvlusso
    Slowbike wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    When is a pavement not a pavement,
    Ah - now we're getting there ...

the answer is of course ...

When the council have declared it a cycleway ..

Then yes, it is a cycleway/cyclepath/shared cyclepath and not a pavement, are you retarded or something!?!?!?! We are talking about pavements/footpaths - peds only?!?!?

You still need to answer the question, I have defined it as far as I can to aid you in your answer:

'As an adult; do you believe that it is okay for you, on your commute, to ride on the pavement/footpath? Yes or no?
  • slowbike
    Simple question I asked earlier and you ignored - if it's ok kids to ride on the pavement (currently against the law - but ok by you for them to do so) then at what point is it not ok for them to break that law?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited August 2012
    It is in Scotland thanks to their access laws all ( http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/o ... s/cycling/ ) footpaths (and anywhere for that matter) are fair game for cyclists, why not south of the border?

Oh yeah, common sense stops working when you cross the border.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Slowbike wrote:
    Simple question I asked earlier and you ignored - if it's ok kids to ride on the pavement (currently against the law - but ok by you for them to do so) then at what point is it not ok for them to break that law?

I believe that the age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales is 10.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso
    Slowbike wrote:

This has nothing to do with kids, in my opinion your insistence on relying on kids to base your argument does not hide the fact that you are an adult and should know better; kids do not have the road awareness to ride on the road and no one would, in sanity, force a child onto the road; this is an adult commuter forum and the question still stands:

'As an adult; do you believe that it is okay for you, on your commute, to ride on the pavement/footpath? Yes or no?

You can still change you answer from 'No', if you wish.
  • slowbike
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

This has nothing to do with kids, in my opinion your insistence on relying on kids to base your argument does not hide the fact that you are an adult and should know better; kids do not have the road awareness to ride on the road and no one would, in sanity, force a child onto the road; this is an adult commuter forum and the question still stands:

You can still change you answer from 'No', if you wish.
    Ok so a child doesn't have road awareness - so I assume that once they do they should always ride on the road - what about an adult who hasn't learnt to ride or drive ?