I don't believe Lance Armstrong doped and never will

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    edited August 2012
    its the letter that was written to the UK doping team to help them catch people. not that victor conte article

heres the letter
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 403158.stm
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The next stage in doping is gene theraphy and dna tweaking. BBC touched on it just before the 100m final at the Olympics. They said that a person has to have the right DNA sequence to have the right fast kind of twitch muscles.

If we see a non African-Caribbean in the 100m final at the next Olympics then we will know that I am right.

There it's been said.

And no, I don't think I'm being racist or predujice, there hasn't been a white guy (there have been those from mixed ethnic backgrounds) in a 100m final that I've seen in my lifetime.
    Ha!
    I raised Gene Therapy at around Post 4. Neatly ignored.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The next stage in doping is gene theraphy and dna tweaking. BBC touched on it just before the 100m final at the Olympics. They said that a person has to have the right DNA sequence to have the right fast kind of twitch muscles.

If we see a non African-Caribbean in the 100m final at the next Olympics then we will know that I am right.

There it's been said.

And no, I don't think I'm being racist or predujice, there hasn't been a white guy (there have been those from mixed ethnic backgrounds) in a 100m final that I've seen in my lifetime.

Never heard of Alan Wells?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_athletics_(men)#100_metres

Take a look.

It's only reasonably recently that it has been dominated by Caribbean nations. It's a pretty mixed group, and it's not like black athletes haven't always been competing.

Genes plays only a very small part. Athletes are genetic outliers anyway - that's why they're exceptionally good at what they do. The likelihood that they may be the correct outlier to be good at a particular event might be marginally higher amongst certain groups. The main drivers for success in sport is funding, the quality of the sports structure, the ability to identify talent etc etc.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Never heard of Alan Wells?
    Shhh.
    I have heard first hand stories about that 4x100 team.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

Maybe just outside your lifetime, but Allan Wells was not African-Caribbean. From what I've read, the predominance of certain ethnic groups in certain sports is more to do with social factors than genetics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_athletics_(men)#100_metres

Take a look.

It's only reasonably recently that it has been dominated by Caribbean nations. It's a pretty mixed group, and it's not like black athletes haven't always been competing.

Genes plays only a very small part. Athletes are genetic outliers anyway - that's why they're exceptionally good at what they do. The likelihood that they may be the correct outlier to be good at a particular event might be marginally higher amongst certain groups. The main drivers for success in sport is funding, the quality of the sports structure, the ability to identify talent etc etc.

So in the 100m sprint between 1984 and now where are the non African/Caribbean guys?

The rest of what you say, you state as though fact. Yes, social factors will play a part in being a driver for success I still think genetics play a part in the potential for success.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Can someone explain how they can issue a life ban rather than 2 years? Has this been done before? OK we can assume he doped, but so did the others.. I am aware he won't be coming to back to the sport regardless of how long the ban is, but where is the consistency?
  • rick_chasey
    You hear the same bull about long distance runners.

Then you see Paula Radcliffe get the world record and Rupp get silver in the 10,000m olympics.
  • rick_chasey
    Can someone explain how they can issue a life ban rather than 2 years? Has this been done before? OK we can assume he doped, but so did the others.. I am aware he won't be coming to back to the sport regardless of how long the ban is, but where is the consistency?

It's not about the taking doping.

It's about conspiracy to dope, conspiracy to cover up, drug trafficking, persuading and assisting others to dope.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... ng0613.pdf

page 10. The other charges for the others involved are above.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So in the 100m sprint between 1984 and now where are the non African/Caribbean guys?

The rest of what you say, you state as though fact. Yes, social factors will play a part in being a driver for success I still think genetics play a part in the potential for success.

Yeah and Black guys can't fly planes... genetics innit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Airmen
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476

It's not about the taking doping.

It's about conspiracy to dope, conspiracy to cover up, drug trafficking, persuading and assisting others to dope.

Ahh I see. Surely Bruyneel has that list of charges too? He's very optimistic when he talks about Radioshack next year then...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    BigMat wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Will be interesting to see who gets taken down with Bruyneel - presumably Lance's teammates who have testified, Contador, Schlecks? If they retrospectively reward the highest placed unblemished riders, Wiggins will potentially have a 2nd tour win on his palmares. I suspect they won't bother though, just scrub Lance's wins. Its a sad day for the sport, but in UK at least I think the good news from the Tour / Olympics is enough to keep the interest of the public / sponsors. It'll be the US cycling market that hurts the most from this.

I don't think we will know, that is why Lance has made the decision of throwing the towel so it doesn't have to break the omerta.

I am more interested about the systematic doping that happened during 2009 and 2010 than the old stuff. There is still organised doping in cycling...

Do you genuinely believe Sky have an organised doping programme, or do you just have a healthy cynicism about any team doing well? I found the recent Vaughters interview interesting, he was basically saying that there may still be doping (probably always will) but the testing, passport etc have made it impossible to get the same extreme advantage that used to be possible, to the extent that the accumulation of marginal gains can now mean that a clean rider (he quoted Hesjedal) can win even against dopers. I'd like to think he's right.

I wasn't speaking about Team Sky here? I was just speaking about his return in 2009 and 2010 when the passport was then present he came back with some decent results but with a network of organised doping (where Ferrari was still present) and other doctors and managed to fool the passport and everyone else once more.

I was picking up on your comment in bold really, and I remember you airing suspicions re Sky a while back. Just curious.

I am still suspicious about them but this thing about Armstrong in 2009 and 2010 has nothing to do with them.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or swim
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or swim

MV5BMTIyMTgxODc1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzMzNDA0MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    You hear the same bull about long distance runners.

Then you see Paula Radcliffe get the world record and Rupp get silver in the 10,000m olympics.

Rupp being part of the same 'house doping' ring as Mo
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

Alan Wells 1980 Moscow you really that young?
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or swim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_Jones

Or cycle. :|
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

Take a look.

Genetics play a part, but they are the genetics of that particular athlete, and how they interact with their environment, not general genetic traits of particular populations. Australia dropped down the medal table due to a drop in funding; similarly Kenya did badly in distance running and questions are being asked about funding in that country.

Once a country gets a reputation for prowess in a particular sport, that attracts funding, and grass roots interest, so they get more success. British success in cycling isn't due to some peculiar genetic mutation specific to the British Isles.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

I was born after 1980.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    Going back to that graphic of Rick's if 75-80% of the contenders were doping at the time, does Armstrong's achievement (tainted as it is) not still stand to some extent?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Going back to that graphic of Rick's if 75-80% of the contenders were doping at the time, does Armstrong's achievement (tainted as it is) not still stand to some extent?

Nah.

Vaughters looks into this.

People respond differently to different drugs.

Take 2 cyclists with the same performance.

One has that performance at a natural heamocratic level at say, 38, the other guy at say, 45.

They both can only thicken their blood with EPO (to make it more efficient) to a certain amount before they either get busted or they die. Let's say, arbitrarily 50.

Cyclist #1 is going to be able to take significantly more EPO and experience significantly more improvement as a result than cyclist #2.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    actually a vast proportion of all individuals have the genes, but in the EU if you are fast, you play football/rugby. in the carribean, you run
  • tailwindhome
    Would Alan Wells have won had the USA not boycotted?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    coriordan wrote:
    actually a vast proportion of all individuals have the genes, but in the EU if you are fast, you play football/rugby. in the carribean, you run

One trick pony... as the olympics showed, was a bit boring watching the sprint races
  • JamesB5446
    JamesB5446 Posts: 471
    coriordan wrote:
    Hang on, are you saying that footballers and sprinters have a similar genetic makeup/physique/blend of ft&st fibres?

If so, that's rubbish.

Rugby, to some extent I can see, but not football.
  • Gazzaputt
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

I was born after 1980.

Explains a lot ( you knew that was coming didn't you? :wink: )
  • Gazzaputt
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Hang on, are you saying that footballers and sprinters have a similar genetic makeup/physique/blend of ft&st fibres?

If so, that's rubbish.

Rugby, to some extent I can see, but not football.

Err our newest GB 100m sprinter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Gemili
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Relatively speaking comprared to Jamaica, sprinting is a "non sport" in the EU. Everyone who shows a degree of talent will want to or be encouraged to play football or rugby where the money and infrastructure exists to nurture talent. Now I know we have some fantastic track and field athletes, but not young men on the track.
    In jamaica, conversely they would see a talent and put it into sprinting.

Now of course there are the odd "superhuman" athletes and bolt may be one of those, like phelps in the swimming, but as far as I know there is actually a surprisingly high proportion of running genes in whites/Europeans as well which are untapped.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:

There it's been said.

In the conversation between Jackson and Johnson, apparently researchers (for a documentary one of them was in) found that about 70% of non-African/Caribbean people tested had the same fast-twitch muscle fibres and Johnson commented that success was more nurture than nature.