Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    LangerDan wrote:
    You'll eventually get used to the dull ache from being repeatedly kicked in the plums.

I thought that was a symptom of being married? :?:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Oh dear.

My phone is on fire with the amount of texts from friends.

Shame it takes this news for them to send me a text....
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited August 2012
    oops - Rick beat me to it with the Bruyneel link.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    At least he put on a show by attacking and giving us a good race to watch - I will remember his years more kindly than the dull indurain years
  • rick_chasey
    Graeme_S wrote:
    oops - Rick beat me to it with the Bruyneel link.

My internet fu is strong today.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    I was about to type out a huge rant but its all been said before, the man is a coward...

I have to disagree. I don't think he's a coward, I think he's stupidly brave given his fight with cancer. I will agree that he's a bully and an egotistical ars* though. Oh, and a cheating scumbag as well.

that is the truth. cheats never prosper, well at least not in the long term....

You obviously don't work in finance.
    + 1 and to think of guys like Bassons & Simeoni who were hounded out of the sport all because of "Do you know who i am..i have more money and power than you" these guys are probably scraping a living now all because they didnt tow the party line.

That Vaughters articel yesterday was pretty telling on Bassons, saying how he usd to go up to him and give him a kind word... But only when he was sure nobody would see.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    My last on this.

They may have all been on the juice at the time but I still enjoyed the racing.

Anyway bygones are bygones and let the sport move forward.

I believe we're in a better place now and can believe in most. Will always be bad apples but you get that in every walk of life.
  • ReesA
    ReesA Posts: 62
    armstrong1150px.jpg

hmm that is hard to read here is the link

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-conte ... 1150px.jpg
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    KaRsKiN wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    The only thing that bothers me about this is that he never failed a test and everyone was at it............ you might as well go back and strip everyone of their TDF win/s, you only have to read a few books to get an idea of how wide spread doping has been.

Think about it, as it`s already been said countless times. cast your minds back to 1998 (festina affair) Cycling in a bad way. It was a bad time for the UCI they needed a new "Clarke Kent" and to everyone`s amazement superman came to life and the rest is history 8) - PS. Funny about all these NEW Fanboys that have just joined the forum.

So essentially it's just a conspiracy theory?

Cycling News had a good piece last night with links to all their articles regarding allegations against Armstrong down the years. Go have a read. Then google "Landis Kimmage Full Interview" and read that.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ind ... -the-years
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    Seems pointless stripping him of his titles when they were all at it. I presume the UCI / ASO will just leave the results and state that all results were tainted - isn't that what they did with Riijs's TdF win? Alternatively they should scrum the results of all the tours over those years completely.
    Is there any point in stripping LA and letting Jan Ulrich be shown as the winner?

No that he's not defending himself, will the USADA apply a consistent line and strip all his former team mates of their titles too? To not do so would enhance LA's claims of a witch hunt.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    bipedal wrote:
    ]

Cycling News had a good piece last night with links to all their articles regarding allegations against Armstrong down the years. Go have a read. Then google "Landis Kimmage Full Interview" and read that.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ind ... -the-years[/quote]

Great link thanks for that. Think this is, finally at least, a good news case of the wheels of justice turn exceedingly slow but grind very fine.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Sad times.

Agree.

Our sport is the only loser in all this.

It is really sad.

I know it's silly because I've always said he was on the juice, but seeing it official makes me feel sh!t about it all.

Not me. Resolving these outstanding issues (injustices, if you will) from the recent past is a key part of pro cycling's move forward to a better future.

Rhetorical question: after reading today's news (and what emerges in the months ahead), do you think a highly talented young US cyclist is more or less likely to be put under pressure (by others or himself) to ride dirty? It's no panacea, but it's an important part of the process.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    ReesA wrote:

Thanks for this. A useful reminder. I was in Paris in 1998 when the Festine affair blew up. At that time we thought cycling, and the tdf in particular was dead. Lance was part of the rebirth. That is what really hurts.
  • ReesA
    edited August 2012
    rdt wrote:
    Rhetorical question: after reading today's news (and what emerges in the months ahead), do you think a highly talented young US cyclist is more or less likely to be put under pressure (by others or himself) to ride dirty? It's no panacea, but it's an important part of the process.

it's an arms race of doping vs anti doping technology so if the dopers think they have something undetectable they will still go for it surely.

also -- I'm not 100% sure about this so correct me if I am wrong -- it seems like all through the 1999-2010 period cycling bodies have been prepared to be paid off by athletes who are 'too big to fail'. At least sorting out LA they have started to show that no one is 'above the law' so to speak, and that even the biggest names can be taken down. I am not sure this will continue for everyone and in every situation (contador etc) though
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    there's going to be more fall out from this and as stated the evidence will come out.

Good PR exercise from LA though as now America won't really see him as being guilty just caught up in a witchhunt and so the name still lives on.

Lets hope the Bruyneel arbitration hearing is soon then this can all go public
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    oneof1982 wrote:
    ReesA wrote:

Thanks for this. A useful reminder. I was in Paris in 1998 when the Festine affair blew up. At that time we thought cycling, and the tdf in particular was dead. Lance was part of the rebirth. That is what really hurts.
    Hard to read even at full size! If I read that right it means Evans has another win and Wiggins now also has a 3rd place.

Its depressing to see how many of those racers have since been banned and had their results stripped and takes some of the lustre off of the last couple of years races. I just hope a line is now drawn under this and once the dust settles, we can move onwards and upwards.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    ReesA wrote:

Hard to read even at full size! If I read that right it means Evans has another win and Wiggins now also has a 3rd place.

Its depressing to see how many of those racers have since been banned and had their results stripped and takes some of the lustre off of the last couple of years races. I just hope a line is now drawn under this and once the dust settles, we can move onwards and upwards.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/german- ... ood-doping

Keep up rob ;).
  • ReesA
    Basically the diagramme I linked indicates the TDF has no credibility as a fair and open sporting event so I can't see any way they could credibly give the titles to another person. Look at how many times the runner up was a doper! 7 out of 8 times! 3rd place ... 6 out of 8 times. What a farce :)
  • From the Cycling News piece on "Shower Gate"
    UCI communications manager Enrico Carpani told L'Equipe: "The UCI is not competent to judge this case. Since this was a surprise test conducted by a national agency, it is therefore competent to judge."

My how times change...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    ReesA wrote:
    rdt wrote:

it's an arms race of doping vs anti doping technology so if the dopers think they have something undetectable they will still go for it surely.

The time my view changed on Lance was around 2005/6 when the stuff came out about the re-tests of the 1998 samples. Now, I know that wasn't enought to "convict" (continuity of evidence etc.) but it did let it be known that new tests were continually being developed, meaning that there was a chance that your sample could be tested retrospectivly. So you could get found out eventually, maybe not now but in the future. This implies the need for young riders to be surrounded by the right coaches and advisors.

Creating the right culutre around young riders, making them fully aware of the long term risks of cheating is essential. In that, cycling hs a long way to go.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Just read the Hog's response who has the cheek to write that: "Lance has never withdrawn from a fair fight in his life so his decision today underlines what an unjust process this has been."

Surely fighting a disease like cancer is never a 'fair fight'... and Lance never withdrew from that!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    sherer wrote:
    there's going to be more fall out from this and as stated the evidence will come out.

Good PR exercise from LA though as now America won't really see him as being guilty just caught up in a witchhunt and so the name still lives on.

Lets hope the Bruyneel arbitration hearing is soon then this can all go public

Will he continue to arbitration? My guess is he may well not now. But as per the Velonation Tygart interview, it should all come out anyway.
    VN: So there is no impediment to USADA releasing the evidence?

TT: No, no.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    "There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now,"

Quitting lasts forever
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • A good day for cycling, how many kids will now think they can get away with cheating if they've seen Armstrong taken down for it?

I don't see how it impacts on enjoyment of cycling as a spectacle, posts to this effect are being rather melodramatic. Racing is racing, if the thought of someone trying to get an advantage is enough to put you off it then I doubt you were ever that enamored with racing to begin with.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • rick_chasey
    "There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now,"

Quitting lasts forever

*like*
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    A good day for cycling, how many kids will now think they can get away with cheating if they've seen Armstrong taken down for it?

I don't see how it impacts on enjoyment of cycling as a spectacle, posts to this effect are being rather melodramatic. Racing is racing, if the thought of someone trying to get an advantage is enough to put you off it then I doubt you were ever that enamored with racing to begin with.

Agreed! Good (if not spectacular) day for Justice, Good day for Sport, Good Day for cycling

We re not home and dry yet, we can sort out the shambles at the UCI first, but we re moving in the right direction!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Love the number of 'new posters' already signing up for todays discussions :lol:
    Truly :lol: at the continued 'but he didn't test positive'? and 'how can USADA strip his titles? what do they know anyway?'
    Keep 'em coming.... 8)

Have been signed up for some time - just my first posting. It was, actually, a genuine question - I wasn't sure how this worked, and am grateful for the clarification.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I heard this on the radio on the way in and though, you know what, I don't actually care any more.

The recent history of this sport is such a mess that I'm actually quite happy to put all that behind me and just enjoy the racing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)