Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    edited August 2012
    Velonation interview with Travis Tygart:-

Travis Tygart Interview: Armstrong’s results from August 1st 1998 will be stripped

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12712 ... z24R6Deq5I

Look like all the evidence will come out in time (maybe after Bruyneel and the others fold), and USADA are free to release it.

VN: It was said before that the likely sanctions would be a lifetime ban and the loss of seven Tour titles – will that be the case?

TT: Yes…the charges were not contested, so what automatically goes into place will be a lifetime ban from any participation from any sport which recognises the WADA Code and disqualification from all results, including ant Tour de France victories, any other victories and placings beginning August 1st 1998 to the present.
    VN: Armstrong’s lawyers have said in a letter to USADA that USADA can’t impose these sanctions, and have threatened legal action if they go through. Do you have any concerns about that?

TT: No, they have already taken legal action and the federal judge told them we do have authority and our process is the process where those complaints can be made. It is kind of funny that they walking away from a process, but are threatening to attempt to go back to somewhere else to fight. It is a little ironic but, no…it means nothing.
    VN: There was reportedly a lot of evidence in the case, there was witness testimony and presumably more…do you expect any of those details to emerge?

TT: Yes, absolutely…at the right time. Obviously there are other cases that are alleged to be involved in the conspiracy. Their cases are still proceeding, so it will be in due course.

VN: So there is no impediment to USADA releasing the evidence?

TT: No, no.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    chevinhawk wrote:
    Can anyone elucidate? How can the USADA, which has no jurisdiction over international cycling, strip Armstrong of his TdeF titles. Surely that can only be the UCI (or the organisers of the TdeF)?

When a national anti-doping authority ban someone, it's standard procedure for all the other anti-doping authorities to acknowledge their ruling and follow suit.

Given he has effectively admitted that he is guilty (in their eyes anyway) of doping in the time period states (1998-200whenever) any result he obtained during that period are scrubbed off.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The only thing that bothers me about this is that he never failed a test and everyone was at it............ you might as well go back and strip everyone of their TDF win/s, you only have to read a few books to get an idea of how wide spread doping has been.
  • Dafo
    Dafo Posts: 5
    Wikipedia TDF pages now showing Jan as 4 times TDF winner....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    chevinhawk wrote:
    Can anyone elucidate. How can the USADA, which has no jurisdiction over international cycling, strip Armstrong of his TdeF titles. Surely that can only be the UCI (or the organisers of the TdeF)?

His license was with US Cycling who employ USADA for their anti-doping programme. When he signed up to his license each year he signed up to their jurisdiction and rules.

Yep - All USADA can legally do is reccomend a ban, but US Cyling and the UCI will be in violation of the WADA code if they do not accept the reccomendation, so essentially they have no choice. Hence I can't see how USADA can be sued - but then this is America....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Love the number of 'new posters' already signing up for todays discussions :lol:

Truly :lol: at the continued 'but he didn't test positive'? and 'how can USADA strip his titles? what do they know anyway?'

Keep 'em coming.... 8)
  • KaRsKiN
    KaRsKiN Posts: 31
    rdt wrote:
    KaRsKiN wrote:
    Am I missing a trick here. Don't really know much about this to be honest.

He's never tested positive, so how can they claim he was taking drugs? Surely if the drugs tests come back negative then that should be that. If not then what's the point in having them?

Have you been living under a rock for the past half dozen years?

In cycling terms yeah. Only really been into the sport for the last few months, never bothered with it before so I'm a bit behind.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    So what about Bruyneel?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver wrote:
    chevinhawk wrote:
    Can anyone elucidate. How can the USADA, which has no jurisdiction over international cycling, strip Armstrong of his TdeF titles. Surely that can only be the UCI (or the organisers of the TdeF)?

His license was with US Cycling who employ USADA for their anti-doping programme. When he signed up to his license each year he signed up to their jurisdiction and rules.

Yep - All USADA can legally do is reccomend a ban, but US Cyling and the UCI will be in violation of the WADA code if they do not accept the reccomendation, so essentially they have no choice. Hence I can't see how USADA can be sued - but then this is America....

And the UCI, you'd think, would have to accept it, as WADA have just been itching to get a proper run at McQuaid for years...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Bozman wrote:
    The only thing that bothers me about this is that he never failed a test and everyone was at it............ you might as well go back and strip everyone of their TDF win/s, you only have to read a few books to get an idea of how wide spread doping has been.

Think about it, as it`s already been said countless times. cast your minds back to 1998 (festina affair) Cycling in a bad way. It was a bad time for the UCI they needed a new "Clarke Kent" and to everyone`s amazement superman came to life and the rest is history 8) - PS. Funny about all these NEW Fanboys that have just joined the forum.

• I agree with something Matt Seaton writes in the Guardian?

Truly this is a red letter day.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • KaRsKiN
    KaRsKiN Posts: 31
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Think about it, as it`s already been said countless times. cast your minds back to 1998 (festina affair) Cycling in a bad way. It was a bad time for the UCI they needed a new "Clarke Kent" and to everyone`s amazement superman came to life and the rest is history 8) - PS. Funny about all these NEW Fanboys that have just joined the forum.

So essentially it's just a conspiracy theory?
  • KaRsKiN wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Cycling News had a good piece last night with links to all their articles regarding allegations against Armstrong down the years. Go have a read. Then google "Landis Kimmage Full Interview" and read that.

@gietvangent
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Does this means ole Cadel Evans wins 8 Tour de France's?? I haven't done a countback but interesting to see who comes out of this with a few new Yellow Jerseys.

Big handbad fight with the UCI and USDA coming up maybe.

Not really heard about why Cycling seems to have a permenant witch hunt where other sports (Football) gets off without a hint of doping issues. After many years, I'm getting bored of hearing about it.

A load of potential sponsors for future Teams have once again been sent running to the hills with this news. I don't know where this will end, it probably won't. :s

Maybe LA should become Spanish. He'll be back on his bike etc in a few months then. ;)

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    KaRsKiN wrote:
    rdt wrote:
    KaRsKiN wrote:

He's never tested positive, so how can they claim he was taking drugs? Surely if the drugs tests come back negative then that should be that. If not then what's the point in having them?

Have you been living under a rock for the past half dozen years?

In cycling terms yeah. Only really been into the sport for the last few months, never bothered with it before so I'm a bit behind.

You have a lot of catching up to do then but if you that new cycling I would not bother, just move on and enjoy what we all hope will be more drug free wins and less dopers being tested positive
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Love the number of 'new posters' already signing up for todays discussions :lol:

Truly :lol: at the continued 'but he didn't test positive'? and 'how can USADA strip his titles? what do they know anyway?'

Keep 'em coming.... 8)

And who the f**k are you?
    Does it matter if someone new has an opinion, they might be new on here but they could well have been cycling while you were still sh*ting yellow.
  • LeicesterLad
    Bozman wrote:

Keep 'em coming.... 8)

And who the f**k are you?
    Does it matter if someone new has an opinion, they might be new on here but they could well have been cycling while you were still sh*ting yellow.

:lol: Toys back in pram.
  • rick_chasey
    KaRsKiN wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Armstrong's guilty of being part of a doping conspiracy, along with the other 4 (though not entirely sure what Bruyneel is up to).
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

Keep 'em coming.... 8)

You come across so patronising these days.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Sad times.

Agree.

Our sport is the only loser in all this.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    KaRsKiN wrote:

I ll trust your being honest...

Have a read of this - http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ind ... -the-years

Fair warning - It ll take you a few days!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gazzetta67
    KaRsKiN wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Armstrong's guilty of being part of a doping conspiracy, along with the other 4 (though not entirely sure what Bruyneel is up to).

Bruyneel said it will be a different Radioshack next year ??? :D - Yes Johan and you WONT be part of it.
  • LeicesterLad
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Keep 'em coming.... 8)

You come across so patronising these days.

I take a lot of sh*t being a Contador fan, but Ive accepted his guilt. Time for the LA fanbois to do the same.

Sad times, yes - McQuaid and UCI still walking free.

If came accross patronising, didn't mean to. Just an observation.

You reply was much better than the 'Who the F*ck are you' chap.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I was about to type out a huge rant but its all been said before, the man is a coward...

I have to disagree. I don't think he's a coward, I think he's stupidly brave given his fight with cancer. I will agree that he's a bully and an egotistical ars* though. Oh, and a cheating scumbag as well.

that is the truth. cheats never prosper, well at least not in the long term....
  • rick_chasey
    philbar72 wrote:
    I was about to type out a huge rant but its all been said before, the man is a coward...

I have to disagree. I don't think he's a coward, I think he's stupidly brave given his fight with cancer. I will agree that he's a bully and an egotistical ars* though. Oh, and a cheating scumbag as well.

You obviously don't work in finance.
  • rick_chasey
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Sad times.

Agree.

It is really sad.

I know it's silly because I've always said he was on the juice, but seeing it official makes me feel sh!t about it all.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Sad times.

Agree.

It is really sad.

I know it's silly because I've always said he was on the juice, but seeing it official makes me feel sh!t about it all.

Thats cos you're only young - wait until you've been hanging around the sport for 3 or 4 decades. You'll eventually get used to the dull ache from being repeatedly kicked in the plums.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    So what about Bruyneel?

Happy Birthday Johan!
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Gazzetta67
    philbar72 wrote:

You obviously don't work in finance.
    + 1 and to think of guys like Bassons & Simeoni who were hounded out of the sport all because of "Do you know who i am..i have more money and power than you" these guys are probably scraping a living now all because they didnt tow the party line.