Vuelta stage 6 un-related spoiler.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Saw this on Boonen's twitter this morning:
rain and crosswinds today.. :-)

*Grin*

Edit:

I am an idiot. He's not even in the Vuelta.

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    :lol:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Saw this on Boonen's twitter this morning:
    rain and crosswinds today.. :-)

*Grin*

Edit:

I am an idiot. He's not even in the Vuelta.

OK, just to make you feel a bit better, some highlights from the Post Danmark Rundt yesterday with a few words from your hero around 3mins in

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... CFcQ7gEwAg

click on recent broadcast link on the page
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Could be an interesting finish:

"but it is with 3km to go that things kick up and a series of 13 hairpin bends begins with ramps at 8%,10%, 14%, 12%, 13% and 8% before the line."

http://inrng.com/2012/08/vuelta-stage-6-preview/
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    In more related Vuelta news, Terpstra lost a bag with all his Dutch national champ kit in.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Vuelta 2015 starts with 5 stages in Netherlands. Shame.

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/19221/ ... -2015.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    I can see the attraction of a GT visiting another country, but 5 days seems a bit OTT. I guess it must be a financial decision, might even be necessary to ensure the race carries on.

Hopefully we'll see some windy echelon stuff as well as just lots of sprinting. With the TT as well the skinny spanish climbers could be out of the running before they even get into Spain.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Isn't the Vuelta starting in the Netherlands a relatively frequent occurrence? Something to do with the shared history of the two countries?
  • rick_chasey
    Paulie W wrote:
    Isn't the Vuelta starting in the Netherlands a relatively frequent occurrence? Something to do with the shared history of the two countries?

Shared history?

squinty.gif
  • inkyfingers
    Paulie W wrote:

Shared history?

squinty.gif

Both have pro teams that wear orange.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W wrote:

Shared history?

squinty.gif

Seriously?!
  • rick_chasey
    Paulie W wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Shared history?

squinty.gif

Seriously?!

If it's 500 years ago it doesn't count in this context.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Paulie W wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Shared history?

squinty.gif

Seriously?!

Inquisition II: the sequel
  • inkyfingers
    skylla wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Shared history?

squinty.gif

Seriously?!

Inquisition II: the sequel

A novel by Dan Brown, coming to a 3 for 2 display in Waterstones near you soon.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Paulie W wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Shared history?

squinty.gif

Seriously?!

Doesn't the Dutch national anthem sing of giving honour to the Spanish king?
  • rick_chasey
    Again... a long long time ago.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Term1te wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Shared history?

squinty.gif

Seriously?!

Doesn't the Dutch national anthem sing of giving honour to the Spanish king?
    Yeah - bit odd that bit as the song is about the war of independence against the Spanish. The anthem is basically a eulogy for the leader of the uprise against the Spanish - I guess in those days members of the European aristocracy respected each other even if they were fighting wars with each other, that kind of thing.

Anyway, it's really not because they were at war with each other 500 years ago that the Vuelta starts in The Netherlands now :lol:
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Southern Netherlands were part of the Habsburgs Spanish Empire for much of the 16th and 17th centuries (true). This would clearly have been discussed at the ASO/UCI Vuelta Route Planning Sub-Committee (probably not true). :lol:
  • FJS wrote:
    Anyway, it's really not because they were at war with each other 500 years ago that the Vuelta starts in The Netherlands now :lol:

If it was, I think every bike race would start in England!
  • FJS
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Southern Netherlands were part of the Habsburgs Spanish Empire for much of the 16th and 17th centuries (true). This would clearly have been discussed at the ASO/UCI Vuelta Route Planning Sub-Committee (probably not true). :lol:
    The Southern Netherlands are nowadays known as Belgium...
  • Paulie W
    Vuelta has only ventured outside of Spain twice apparently - Portugal and Netherlands. 2015 will be the third time.
  • FJS
    And to celebrate all this, today's 5-man breakaway consists completely of riders from the Low Countries:

Pieter Weening (Orica-GreenEdge), Martijn Maaskant (Garmin-Sharp), Joost van Leijen (Lotto Belisol),Thomas de Gendt (Vacansoleil-DCM), Kristof Vandewalle (Omega Pharma-QuickStep)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    FJS wrote:
    And to celebrate all this, today's 5-man breakaway consists completely of riders from the Low Countries:

Pieter Weening (Orica-GreenEdge), Martijn Maaskant (Garmin-Sharp), Joost van Leijen (Lotto Belisol),Thomas de Gendt (Vacansoleil-DCM), Kristof Vandewalle (Omega Pharma-QuickStep)

No Andalucia rider? What the ... ?!
  • rick_chasey
    60km to go.

Peloton @ 3.36

So no.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    I missed yesterday's stage which appears to have been no great loss. Presumably because Froome is in it, this year the Vuelta gets a couple of column-inches in the daily sports pages.
  • frenchfighter
    This could be an exciting final. Just like with Dauphine stage 1 which Evans won and Andy got dropped on. Short climb of 3km, similar % and not far from the finish. Even if no gaps are created, could see some good attempts and good win. Here's hoping.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Katusha pulling all day. Valverde and team move to the front. Have words. Gap goes out by a minute.

De Gendt is in the break. Maaskant too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Some of the scenery here is amazing.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    Some of the scenery here is amazing.

Ah. The sign of good racing if ever there was one ;).

last 20km should be interesting.

Edit: Quite spaghetti western.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Break down to four @ 1:42