Vuelta Stage 4 *Spoiler*

Comments

• oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Interesting take from Spanish newpaper "As" this morning. Jist of key article "This is War" is that whilst there is a question as towhether Sky should have carried on, claims that they caused the accident are paranoia ("Sky is not MI6" it says).

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/gue ... icic_1/Tes

The article celebrates the incident as follows: "Muerte a la siesta, viva el ciclismo." Death to the siesta, cycling lives"

I read the article from the Spanish, but if you don't speak Spanish and want a laugh, use the google translate. Flecah = Arrow, Purito = Itch
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    fluff. wrote:
    Missed everything apart from last 15 mins of highlights, so had to hunt for a clip of the crash.

Can't see Sky slamming anyone into the gutter here.
    http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuel ... a/1511048/.

From the overhead shot at about 1'45 it looks pretty clear that the only contribution Sky had to causing the crash was instilling general panic in the peloton with their attack.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The crash was caused by 50 Spaniards simultaneously grabbing their race radio and shouting "what the f*** is an echelon?"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    DeadCalm wrote:
    fluff. wrote:
    Missed everything apart from last 15 mins of highlights, so had to hunt for a clip of the crash.

Can't see Sky slamming anyone into the gutter here.
    http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuel ... a/1511048/.

From the overhead shot at about 1'45 it looks pretty clear that the only contribution Sky had to causing the crash was instilling general panic in the peloton with their attack.

The claims that Flecha caused the crash seem particularly ridiculous from that shot!
  • DeadCalm
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Interesting take from Spanish newpaper "As" this morning. Jist of key article "This is War" is that whilst there is a question as towhether Sky should have carried on, claims that they caused the accident are paranoia ("Sky is not MI6" it says).

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/gue ... icic_1/Tes

The article celebrates the incident as follows: "Muerte a la siesta, viva el ciclismo." Death to the siesta, cycling lives"

I read the article from the Spanish, but if you don't speak Spanish and want a laugh, use the google translate. Flecah = Arrow, Purito = Itch
    Excellent, thanks. Do they really refer to Froome as 'evil' as google translate would have you believe?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The crash was caused by 50 Spaniards simultaneously grabbing their race radio and shouting "what the f*** is an echelon?"

Eeeeh lad, back in mah day T'Vuelta were nowt but echelons along dusty motorways.

Kids these days, don't know they're born.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • oneof1982
    DeadCalm wrote:
    [quote="oneof1982. Do they really refer to Froome as 'evil' as google translate would have you believe?

I think a more correct tranlsation would be "villian" or "badboy" - but it kinda enhances his personality don't you think!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Can a DS be brought to account on a charge of disrepute by ASO/UCI as in other sports? What the Movistar DS was saying after was well out of order, IMO.
    What did he say that you found ‘well out of order’ and worthy of being ‘brought to account on a charge of disrepute’.

The quote I saw was pretty harmless:

“I can understand that my riders are annoyed. I think that there were sensible grounds enough to wait. The group weren’t even trying to get the stage win. Therefore I don’t understand this inhumanness. I won’t complain, everyone can do what he wants but I’m very disappointed. In other cases, one would have waited on the tour leader. That wasn’t fairplay.”

My take is, hard luck for Valverde but we’re better off without all this fairplay concern, just get on with it.
  • DeadCalm
    oneof1982 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    [quote="oneof1982. Do they really refer to Froome as 'evil' as google translate would have you believe?

I think a more correct tranlsation would be "villian" or "badboy" - but it kinda enhances his personality don't you think!
    Excellent. From now on I shall only ever refer to him as 'the Evil Froome'...
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    oneof1982 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

What personality?
  • oneof1982
    "El perro malvado"
  • RichN95 wrote:

Eeeeh lad, back in mah day T'Vuelta were nowt but echelons along dusty motorways.

And ONCE were usually pretty good at fitting 60 tooth front rings and tearing everyones legs off IIRC :D
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Watched the footage about 10 times now over lunch. JAF didn't veer or anything, if anything someone looks to have clipped into the back of him in a dark-coloured top. He just moves forward in a straight line. No reason to stop.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    "El perro malvado"

"the evil dog" (thanks, Google Translate)

Quite like
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    oneof1982 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

What personality?

Errrr... so it's valid to have an opinion about Froome's personality, but not about Contadors... I'm sorry old chap
  • DeadCalm
    What Sky should have said...

http://gerard.cc/2012/08/22/grow-some-balls/
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Absolutely hilarious that Valverde(.piti) is taking about being shown a lack of 'respect'...

Don't recall him showing the sport or the peleton much respect when he was juicing to the max to win titles / money etc, and then showing a complete lack of grace or remorse when caught bang to rights. Movistar then welcoming him back with open arms and an almost triumphant fanfare was rather distasteful as well.
    I know he's not the only one to get busted and come back, but we're now in 2012 now 2002 so these prats need to realise the sport has evolved and their attitude is less than acceptable.
  • RichN95 wrote:

And ONCE were usually pretty good at fitting 60 tooth front rings and tearing everyones legs off IIRC :D

Indeed. Anyone remember new grand tour superstart Isidro Nozal?

You don't? Oh...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    knedlicky wrote:

“I can understand that my riders are annoyed. I think that there were sensible grounds enough to wait. The group weren’t even trying to get the stage win. Therefore I don’t understand this inhumanness. I won’t complain, everyone can do what he wants but I’m very disappointed. In other cases, one would have waited on the tour leader. That wasn’t fairplay.”
    I saw this last night on the ITV4 highlights. The DS was speaking in Spanish, but said "fair play" in English. Is there no concept of fair play in the Spanish language?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    When Sky might need Movistar to do some work (for a favour) then Movistar will be looking the other way for sure. Sky must have put some noses out of joint by these antics yesterday and I'm sure that Movistar will be there to get revenge on some other day or race. I think it was the Tour of Oman 2010 where Boassan Hagan got stuffed on a Toilet Break as Team Sky had attacked previously in the Feedzone. It's a long season and an opportunity will come again.
    Quote form that time- British rider and veteran Roger Hammond (Cervelo) made it clear what he thought of British Team Sky’s tactics. “They brought it upon themselves. They can have it one way or the other. Either everyone plays the same game or they play unfairly and then they get unfairly treated,” he said.

The rules on the road are not made by the viewers or Governing bodies, only by the Teams and Riders. If a Team goes too far then some retribution will be in order on some other day. Cycling is a Machiavelli world and Sky will have a bad day soon enough and Movistar will be first in line.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Think attacking in a feed zone is different from attacking, then not stopping that attack because someone's come off...

Besides, as others have said, Movistar have a reputation for attacking after falls, IIRC, they did it a couple of times in the tour.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Graeme_S wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    I saw this last night on the ITV4 highlights. The DS was speaking in Spanish, but said "fair play" in English. Is there no concept of fair play in the Spanish language?
    It’s the same in French (le fairplay) and German (das Fairplay), but I don’t think it’s a matter of there being no concept of fair play in those lands, rather it’s just easier to use the English (or nowadays International) expression.
    Also, I think there is some feeling amongst Continentals that the English practice ‘fair play’ in every aspect of their daily lives, so it’s only appropriate to use the English term.

In this wide sense, it's nonsense of course, we all know people who manage to regularly avoid buying their round down the pub, and I find the one-sided attitudes of home crowds in UK football a million miles from the more balanced fair play attitudes shown by home crowds in Europe.
    But Continentals often have misconceptions about Brits – I’m sure many think that Brits would never steal or litter, and I bet some even still think bowler hats are normal daily wear for most UK men.
  • oneof1982
    Re "fair play". Simply part of the international language. E.g. both FIFA and UEFA have adopted "fair play" for their major campaigns.

Funny how Stage 4 is still being talked about when Stage 5 is way down there. Anyone still think Stage 4 was boring?
  • DeadCalm
    'Panache' is a French word, is there no such concept in the English language?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    DeadCalm wrote:
    No.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    knedlicky wrote:
    It’s the same in French (le fairplay) and German (das Fairplay), but I don’t think it’s a matter of there being no concept of fair play in those lands, rather it’s just easier to use the English (or nowadays International) expression.
    Also, I think there is some feeling amongst Continentals that the English practice ‘fair play’ in every aspect of their daily lives, so it’s only appropriate to use the English term.

In this wide sense, it's nonsense of course, we all know people who manage to regularly avoid buying their round down the pub, and I find the one-sided attitudes of home crowds in UK football a million miles from the more balanced fair play attitudes shown by home crowds in Europe.
    But Continentals often have misconceptions about Brits – I’m sure many think that Brits would never steal or litter, and I bet some even still think bowler hats are normal daily wear for most UK men.
    Thanks for that (and the following post about the FIFA/UEFA campaigns). I wasn't intending to suggest that the Spanish weren't capable of playing fairly, more wondering if they didn't have a word/expression to succinctly describe it within their language. A bit like we all understand what it feels like to think of the perfect comeback to settle an argument after we've left a room, but we don't have a succinct description for that feeling in English, whereas the French have l'esprit de l'escalier which sums it up perfectly.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    IMG-7276_2815221.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Panache is a French concept which allows them to claim victory on a moral or artistic level when they lose.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Panache is a French concept which allows them to claim victory on a moral or artistic level when they lose.

Fair play is a British concept which allows them to claim victory on a moral level when they lose to foreigners.
  • IMG-7276_2815221.jpg

"Crash? What crash Alejandro, we saw no crash..."
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.