edited August 2012 in Pro race
4_perfil.png

4uk.gif
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    13.4km at 5.2%

“It’s not such a hard climb,” Contador speculates, “maybe we’ll get a group of ten riders or more at the summit. And if it’s windy then it will be very difficult to open up a gap.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Jesus Rosendo Prado (Andulicia), Tony Martin (Omega Pharma Quick Step), Simon Clarke (GreenEdge), Luis Angel Mate (Cofidis) and Assan Bazeyev (Astana) have almost 11 mins on the peloton.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    *not looking at thread today*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    *not looking at thread today*
    Lol
    Sky app isn't working :(
  • Vino'sGhost
    Is anyone else struggling with sky go today? It says the server can't be reached please try later?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Jesus Rosendo Prado (Andulicia), Tony Martin (Omega Pharma Quick Step), Simon Clarke (GreenEdge), Luis Angel Mate (Cofidis) and Assan Bazeyev (Astana) have almost 11 mins on the peloton.
    Did.
    It’s now about 9. Still, with the lead the quintet have, Maté is virtual red jersey.
    Over 35 degrees.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    How is that a cat.1 climb?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ThomThom wrote:

end of the stage.

Categories are not only based on length, gradient etc. But also their position in the stage.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Obviously, but a hill ending a stage of only 160 km should not be a cat.1
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited August 2012
    That's a serious enough climb to be 1st cat even if it wouldn't be mountain top finish. The 2nd graph in frenchie's OP is only the last kms. This is the whole climb: http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=439 (the darker green bit)

The last 4 kms aren't much, so it'll probably be a group staying together, but it's 14 kms in total
  • Vino'sGhost
    ThomThom wrote:

thats a big climb and theyre nailing it. I suspect there will be some tired bodies tonight
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Not a bad little gap they've still got.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Yeh, back up to 12 mins.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Sonny73 wrote:

Thank you for that. The Yahoo one's best because of the profile with red line showing how far along they are. Right now at the feed zone for instance.

Question: what's that about time bonuses you'all were saying yesterday? Do you get extra seconds for crossing the line first or something? If yes, then they'd be minus seconds off your time-to-finish-the-stage? :?: :?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bonus seconds are 12", 8" and 4" for 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the stage.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Movistar don't look that fussed. Break to stay away?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Again not watching it live but Valverde did say that Movistar had no help with dragging back the break yesterday. Offloading the jersey?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • afx237vi
    JonGinge wrote:
    Again not watching it live but Valverde did say that Movistar had no help with dragging back the break yesterday. Offloading the jersey?

Maté is the best placed guy at 3'36"... don't think they'll be given that much leeway.
  • Lichtblick
    afx237vi wrote:

How very disconcerting! They don't do that on the Tour, do they? Can I take it that they used to?

So if the two top guys have only a few seconds between them they'll bust a gut trying to get there first? And anyone else within range will do similarly to deny them 1st, over and over again?

:shock:
  • afx237vi
    Lichtblick wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

How very disconcerting! They don't do that on the Tour, do they? Can I take it that they used to?

So if the two top guys have only a few seconds between them they'll bust a gut trying to get there first? And anyone else within range will do similarly to deny them 1st, over and over again?

:shock:

Yeah they used to have bonus seconds in the Tour until 4 or 5 years ago.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There's a good debate to be had about whether they improve or worsen (or have no effect) on racing.
  • afx237vi
    Gap is going up... maybe Maté has a chance after all.
  • FJS
    The gap now well over 13 minutes, with only 30 or so km to go until the foot of the climb. Movistar clearly not interested in keeping the jersey. Whoever gets it now likely to keep it until Saturday
  • Lichtblick
    Why do they sometimes let the breakaway succeed, especially so early in the Tour, sorry, Vuelta? Because it's nearly 100F today? Shame, no thrilling duel @ the top, but I suppose we can't have Contador/Froome duel every day and there's a long way to go yet.

(I should not be doing this I should not be doing this I should be working!!!)
  • FJS
    Perhaps it was a mistake to let a Tony Martin just interested in a good workout on the plains for the worlds TT go in the break :)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Why do they sometimes let the breakaway succeed, especially so early in the Tour, sorry, Vuelta? Because it's nearly 100F today? Shame, no thrilling duel @ the top, but I suppose we can't have Contador/Froome duel every day and there's a long way to go yet.

Contador, Froome etc can still have their battle, it just won't be for the stage win.
  • FJS
    edited August 2012
    Lichtblick wrote:

Sometimes the GC leader wants to 'give' the jersey away to a weaker GC rider so his team won't have to work for a couple of days
    Sometimes there are no other teams confident they can win the stage and want to help chase
    Sometimes they simply miscalculate.
    Sometimes the break is clever and they go slow on purpose so they have lots left when the chase starts in earnest
    Sometimes they're not confident their leader will be able to get the bonus seconds at the finish so letting a harmless group stay away is safer