Anyone used a boris bike for a date before?

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I have a date with a girl lined up, she wants to involve cycling in some respect. Now the only way i wont get annoyed/stressed is if we are both on boris bikes as it will also mean i can drink...

its going to be a saturday evening and London will be our oyster.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how i can incorporate a boris bike into a date? The date can go anywhere, and involve anything (unfortunately both our abodes are out of the boris bike scheme)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How old are you?
  • rick_chasey
    Easier to gage what kinda date it'll be.

If you're both mid 50s it's a different kinda date, right?
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    spasypaddy wrote:
    she wants to involve cycling in some respect.

Post-date ask her if she wants to come home to look at your 'bike?'
    That involves cycling, in some respest.
  • spasypaddy
    oh right, its not a first date either... its date 2 and a half.

oh and rick do i really come across as mid 50s?!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Take her to the flask. Boris bike up Swains lane. You'll wan tthe drink.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Dinner somewhere then head down to the river and ride the Thames Path? Or the parks? Regents or Hyde? Where in London are you heading to?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Be the only time you use your bike and hope to bonk
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spasypaddy
    Take her to the flask. Boris bike up Swains lane. You'll wan tthe drink.
    ive used the flask for cycling dates before, but we weren't coming up swains. i can barely get up swains on my good bike...
    TommyEss wrote:
    Dinner somewhere then head down to the river and ride the Thames Path? Or the parks? Regents or Hyde? Where in London are you heading to?
    see this was something similar to what i was thinking. if it was a nice night, dinner, boris bike to regents, lie in park with wine... park actually has a closing time.
  • rick_chasey
    Could head here

Across the road, past the French embassy are lots of cute little places - some pubs, some restaurants, some bistros, Asian, Lebonese, European, the lot.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited August 2012
    This guy has.

As far as destinations go - it's only a matter of time before someone suggests taking her up the Oxo Tower

[edit sp]
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Surely any date involving a bike (ride) has to include stopping at LMNH or Rapha watering holes? Maybe for date 2 3/4.

Good luck.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    For a more active date, challenge her to a BBike relay?

Loser buys the beers at the end of the evening... or some other forfeit as you see fit.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Oh, do we know if she plays by the 4-date rule?
  • spasypaddy
    This guy has.

As far as destinations go - it's own a matter of time before someone suggests taking her up the Oxo Tower
    ive already broached this subject with her... on more than one level :lol:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Surely any date involving a bike (ride) has to include stopping at LMNH or Rapha watering holes? Maybe for date 2 3/4.

Good luck.
    the possibility of bumping into someone i know doesn't appeal to me.
    Could head here

Across the road, past the French embassy are lots of cute little places - some pubs, some restaurants, some bistros, Asian, Lebonese, European, the lot.
    very good idea, the boris bike ride could be round hyde park as thats not closed at night is it?
  • rick_chasey
    No idea. Can't see why it would.
  • spasypaddy
    regents park is fenced all the way, hyde park is open till midnight.

winner!

ok now need some ideas and suggestions of bars and restaurants around that area, not too expensive as i still want to be able to buy my bike stuff...
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Not to piss on anyones parade but Weather...

Have you checked what we may get weather wise on said date? Boris biking to a meal or whatever is all well and good but is she going to want to get soaked to skin rocking a Boris on the way or back from a restuarant.

How about a ride for both of you (On your bikes) to a quiet pub for something to eat and then a potter back stoping in a few pubs along the way. This would assume a day time date.. Which could then pave the way for inviting her back for 'coffee', 'dessert' where you could show her your crank shaft
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hyde Park? Plenty of bobo bikes and no cars, take your pick on where you finish plenty of nice pubs I'm sure... or with a bit of sunshine chill out with a picnic. Ok so the last bit is a bit 50s..
  • spasypaddy
    weather isnt looking great but its 10 days away so anything could change!

Its an evening date, she cant do during the day unfortunately.

if its nice the picnic is definitely on the cards.
  • Regents Park does have a fence around it but it's very climbable... and luckily they don't let the zoo animals out at night to patrol.

One thought here though; how much does she cycle now? (i.e. is she comfortable cycling around London or is she asking you to involve cycling to 'impress' you?) Remember to scout out docking stations so that you don't end up 'docking' in the Park and it costing a fortune.

On a Friday night date in London, where you hope she'll have made a bit of an effort, I'd keep the cycling to a minimum and make the focus the picnic or the drinks etc. A daytime date would have offered a lot more scope.
  • Dont mention greased nipples - no matter what age - they dont like it. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Remember to scout out docking stations so that you don't end up 'docking' in the Park and it costing a fortune.

Flippin' eck. It's only date 2.5, and you've already got the lad "docking" in the park!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    davis wrote:
    Remember to scout out docking stations so that you don't end up 'docking' in the Park and it costing a fortune.

Flippin' eck. It's only date 2.5, and you've already got the lad "docking" in the park!

Where I come from, the 0.5 part usually refers to the following morning. I may be being too presumptuous here, but I'd suspect the boy's visited the park and fed the ducks already.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    vermin wrote:
    visited the park and fed the ducks already.

Well that's a new one on me!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • spasypaddy
    Regents Park does have a fence around it but it's very climbable... and luckily they don't let the zoo animals out at night to patrol.
    im not climbing a fence, no chance. ok maybe
    One thought here though; how much does she cycle now? (i.e. is she comfortable cycling around London or is she asking you to involve cycling to 'impress' you?) Remember to scout out docking stations so that you don't end up 'docking' in the Park and it costing a fortune.
    decent amount supposedly, has a hybrid :| and is very comfortable riding in london. Shes desperate to ride with me and i quote her ideal date is a bike ride...
    On a Friday night date in London, where you hope she'll have made a bit of an effort, I'd keep the cycling to a minimum and make the focus the picnic or the drinks etc. A daytime date would have offered a lot more scope.
    again it was kind of her idea, i was thinking it but she has basically said she really wants to do a bike ride. she has said she is going to make loads of effort in her outfit and stuff...

vermin wrote:
    davis wrote:

Where I come from, the 0.5 part usually refers to the following morning. I may be being too presumptuous here, but I'd suspect the boy's visited the park and fed the ducks already.
    :lol: very close to the truth...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    And no-one's even gone for a "bonk" based pun. Disappointed, or is that too easy?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    Shes desperate to ride with me and i quote her ideal date is a bike ride....

Surely the correct answer is to ditch the BB idea and hire a tandem.

http://www.londonbicycle.com/tandems.html
  • twist83 wrote:
    Not to wee-wee on anyones parade but Weather...

Have you checked what we may get weather wise on said date? ....

Hot and sticky, apparently. Which is fine if you're with a lady.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    spen666 wrote:
    Be the only time you use your bike and hope to bonk
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    And no-one's even gone for a "bonk" based pun. Disappointed, or is that too easy?

Not too good at this reading thing then? :wink::lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.