Mud Sweat & Gears 20....13!!!

Comments

• bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    there isnt going to be one tyre to suit all conditions here - youll need something that'll roll well, give lots of grip at the rear, good in sand and possibly mud!

Ill be sticking with my trusty and tried (20 year old..!!) IRC xc's... or go with a full mud tyre depending on the woods..
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • epicdaza
    epicdaza Posts: 240
    I'm thinking Renagades front and rear, or if its muddy in one area something with a little more grip upfront but doubt I will change the rear :)
    Daza
    Team CCN / Torq / Chain Reaction / Streetlife
    Team CCN on Facebook

Give me 21 switchbacks and I'm happy!
  • bigdawg
    if there is any mud youll just need sometihng that clears quickly - theres a lot of grip in that mud, getting it off the tyres was the problem...

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I still remember a race in Sherwood pines a few years ago in which it riained continousy for about 8 hours for the 100km race. Mudbath does not begin to describe that event and the showers afterwards were unspeakable, it was a real mission to try and keep the clean cloths clean. Codham last year could not have been as bad as that race.

Geax mud tyres are going on mine biek this weekend for this race.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bigdawg
    perosnally I find when its actually raining mostraces arent a problem - the problem with last year was that it stopped raining and the sticky clay mud - stuck, almost as soon as you went into the wooded area your tyres suddenly became 6-8 inches wide, the area weas just full of riders off their bikes trying to clear mud to turn their wheels at the end of the two hour race.

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'm sure my body knows when there's a race coming up, I developed a bloody phlegmy cough and i just cant clear it :(

Anywhoo, I'm lucky enough to have two sets of wheels, one with a set of full on 2.4 moutain king 1's for gloopy mud and a another set that i'll be setting up half way, something like X king front race king or similar rear.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    edited April 2013
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I'm sure my body knows when there's a race coming up, I developed a bloody phlegmy cough and i just cant clear it :(

Oh dear... bad times, on the positive side maybe breathing out of your arse for an hour will help cleanse you of the lurgy!

We're camping in the area so hopefully have a ride round sat & get the tyre choice sorted for sun, but unless it's bogging i'll most likely stay with my normal setup - ron/xr3 seems to work well on the majority of courses
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bigdawg
    im actually taking a set of 1.5s - just in case..!

• VWsurfbum
    pilch wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Oh dear... bad times, on the positive side maybe breathing out of your ars* for an hour will help cleanse you of the lurgy
    I may try this approach tonight as I might get a spare hour or two break from DIYing.
    That said, the sky man came today and fitted the new system and I got our new plasma replaced as the one I bought last week the remote didn't work. It would be rude not to try it out and fluck throught the F1 channel
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    I've Just entered No1 into her first event! :shock: :D (Pushy dad :lol: )
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    epicdaza wrote:
    I'm thinking Renagades front and rear, or if its muddy in one area something with a little more grip upfront but doubt I will change the rear :)

Specialized S-Works Renagade's ? I do like the Renagades but for me personally, not a Codham tyre. I think a Ralph is a good compromise for grip and speed in changable surfaces. I will most prob use a Ralph on the back and Ron up front. If its muddy then change the Ralph for a Dirty Dan but does need to be mega muddy for a Dan though.

As said by others, the 1hr race was fine last year. It was the 2hr race that had problems. The course was churned up by the 1hr racers and then when we went on it in the afternoon it stop raining more or less on the start line and caused alot of problems. I dont think it will be as bad this time round.
  • Monty13a
    Monty13a Posts: 12
    pilch wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Oh dear... bad times, on the positive side maybe breathing out of your ars* for an hour will help cleanse you of the lurgy!

We're camping in the area so hopefully have a ride round sat & get the tyre choice sorted for sun, but unless it's bogging i'll most likely stay with my normal setup - ron/xr3 seems to work well on the majority of courses
    Sorry pilch but Codham is on private land and the land owners have asked me to pass on the following:
    “There will be no riding of the course on Saturday full stop.”
  • epicdaza
    epicdaza Posts: 240
    evo3ben wrote:
    epicdaza wrote:

Specialized S-Works Renagade's ? I do like the Renagades but for me personally, not a Codham tyre. I think a Ralph is a good compromise for grip and speed in changable surfaces. I will most prob use a Ralph on the back and Ron up front. If its muddy then change the Ralph for a Dirty Dan but does need to be mega muddy for a Dan though.

As said by others, the 1hr race was fine last year. It was the 2hr race that had problems. The course was churned up by the 1hr racers and then when we went on it in the afternoon it stop raining more or less on the start line and caused alot of problems. I dont think it will be as bad this time round.

Yep, if its doable then yes, it can in most cases be worth pulling less resistance and gaining more speed elsewhere and toughing out any sketchy sections. Its just how I roll :wink:
    Daza
    Team CCN / Torq / Chain Reaction / Streetlife
    Team CCN on Facebook

Give me 21 switchbacks and I'm happy!
  • evo3ben
    I use a Renagade on the rear at Thetford if not too gloopy but never on the front. Personally i cant find the grip from a Renagade in the mud but in damp and dry conditions it is a super fast and light tyre.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Monty13a wrote:
    “There will be no riding of the course on Saturday full stop.”

Cheers for the heads up, i'll do my 'open up' on the local roads then
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bigdawg
    dont forget how quickly codham changes though - two years ago we started the race in blazing sunshine, and hour and a half later a heavy shower turned the area outside the woods into a virtually unrideable (if you had the wrong tyres on!) sticky mess - I remember overtaking about 20 people most of them off their bikes trying to get their back tyres to turn... For once the mud worked in my favour.. :oops:

• Monty13a
    Monty13a Posts: 12
    I was lucky enough to have a tour of Codham tonight and it's DRY.
    Very steep hills, grassy drags, sand, rocks, I think there are 4 chicken runs and nearly a full lap of the BMX track. Only mud is on the same water crossing as last year BUT Jason has put same stone down so is shouldn't get muddy.
    I tracked a lap on this link http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/178472471/9605606
    And before you ask I haven't got a clue what tyres you should put on. I’ll be using the same tyres I always use.
  • evo3ben
    Sounding good! Weather forecast looks promising so fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone and see you sunday 8)
  • Weffywoo
    Weffywoo Posts: 21
    Getting quite excited! Don't know what to expect but looking forward to it anyway 8)
  • bigdawg
    speaking to the organisers last night - apparently one of the bites theyre expecting to catch people out is the drop (start ramp) into the bmx track - if youre not used to a pump track take it easy...!

• Weffywoo
    Does anyone have any ideas how many laps it will be?
  • bigdawg
    the two hour race will be 5/6 laps dependent on weather

• Weffywoo
    Its funny having come from road (TT) and tri background when I used to race for 2hrs that was 50miles!!!! :shock:

Somehow I seriously doubt I will be covering that sort of distance :lol:
  • sdminus
    sdminus Posts: 24
    There is no 2 hr race. The event is xco format bc website has the rules for lap length and race format. Check it out
  • grony
    grony Posts: 75
    Monty13a wrote:
    I was lucky enough to have a tour of Codham tonight and it's DRY.
    Very steep hills, grassy drags, sand, rocks, I think there are 4 chicken runs and nearly a full lap of the BMX track. Only mud is on the same water crossing as last year BUT Jason has put same stone down so is shouldn't get muddy.
    I tracked a lap on this link http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/178472471/9605606
    And before you ask I haven't got a clue what tyres you should put on. I’ll be using the same tyres I always use.

What's a chicken run?
  • bigdawg
    an alternative route to some ofthe steep bits..

• grony
    grony Posts: 75
    AAhhh! thanks, may be using those myself.
  • bigdawg
    some of hte drops look steep from some of hte pictures but theyve all got good runnoff so you wont have to be on the brakes or turn sharply at the end

• guity
    guity Posts: 113
    The first (and biggest) one has a pretty sharp right turn at the bottom, unless you want to go for a swim...
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    edited April 2013
    I never doubted the weather shame I not taking part.
    Good luck all
    VW: Since when?
    :lol: I thought you meant doubted the weather not taking part well since The Wales trip :cry:
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!