Wiggo Smoking ?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    tumblr_m8t7seHHWF1qcn3m5o1_500.jpg
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not cool. But I'll give you this:

tour_de_france_old_passing_cigarette_smoke.jpg

And this (also not cool):

tumblr_lfig6qxcX91qga534o1_500.jpg

And there is one more amazing shot of a cyclist smoking - from a good many years back. The photo is just a close up of his face/neck, looking into the camera with the cigarette. Art Vanderley has posted it in the past but I cannot find it - anyone?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I find it amusing the Sun try to create moral outrage using photo's taken surreptitiously.

As for Wiggins, surely he has a golden opportunity to top his year off by becoming the World TT champ? Can't believe he would want to jeopardise that in any way.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    andy_welch wrote:
    Surely the photographer has some motorised shutter thing that takes loads of shots, so they must have a picture of him with the fag actually in his mouth. Why not use that?

Cheers,

Andy

Andy, meet Andy.
    Why do you put 'Andy' at the end of all your posts?

Why not? If I'm committing some great faux pas I shall stop...

Andy

Hahahahah well done Frenchie, one of the best posts I've seen on here in a while.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Good on Wiggo I say. He knows the risks, we all know the risks... a 5 year old can understand smoking's not healthy so Wiggo knows as much as anyone.

Who cares. As far as Im concerned he can smoke what he wants and drink as much as he wants, he's hardly promoting the idea that other people should. Its just nosey paparazzi getting a headline.

For any drinking and smoking he does he's still a better cyclist than anyone who posts on here, that's gotta be a fact.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mfin wrote:
    For any drinking and smoking he does he's still a better cyclist than anyone who posts on here, that's gotta be a fact.

Maybe, but I'm a better drinker than him and used to be a better smoker too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    mfin wrote:

So what? What does that have to do with anything? It has no relevance what so ever. It's cycling forum.

So I can't say Cavendish should improve his climbing skills in order to develop new areas where he can assert himself because he can drop me on a climb in France as the elite-sportsman he is?...
  • mfin
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Maybe, but I'm a better drinker than him and used to be a better smoker too.

Sounds like he has quite good 'going on the lash skills' and a sense of humour to match, makes a change for a leading sportsman (George Best aside!)
  • mfin
    ThomThom wrote:
    mfin wrote:

So what? What does that have to do with anything? It has no relevance what so ever. It's cycling forum.

So I can't say Cavendish should improve his climbing skills in order to develop new areas where he can assert himself because he can drop me on a climb in France as the elite-sportsman he is?...

My point was that a couple of reactions to Wiggo having a cigarette are overboard, and of course people are predicted to react like this hence why its in the paper, it doesn't make the fact he's had a cigarette a big deal though unless the person thinking/reading it thinks that a cigarette is a big deal.

Do you think that cigarette has dropped off his performance for at least the rest of the season? I don't.

I just don't think the cigarette is a big deal, its up to him, and he's a tdf winning, multi gold medal cyclist, we're not, so there seems nothing to judge.

As for "So I can't say Cavendish should improve his climbing skills in order to develop new areas where he can assert himself", yes, you can say it (i didn't suggest you couldn't) and maybe you should send that suggestion to Sky and BC, because they need to know this stuff they haven't thought of.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I don't condone smoking but I don't have an issue with this. He's had a tough month at the office and if he wants a few pints and some tabs fair play.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I smoked whilst cycling the other day, I'm assuming they even each other out.
  • frenchfighter
    tastes.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tastes.jpg

Exactly.
  • frenchfighter
    Don't get me wrong. Smoking sucks majorly. I hate smoking.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Don't get me wrong. Smoking sucks majorly. I hate smoking.

It definitely sucks, and blows.
  • Don't get me wrong. Smoking sucks majorly. I hate smoking.

It definitely sucks, and blows.

Makes you look cool and impresses girls though.

Didn't Merckx's doctor prescribe him 2 tabs a day at one point?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Wiggo is just having a few weeks off and letting loose.

The only outrage here is the Sun's phoney outrage.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    andy_welch wrote:
    Surely the photographer has some motorised shutter thing that takes loads of shots, so they must have a picture of him with the fag actually in his mouth. Why not use that?
    Quite. Hilarious that so much should be made of a photograph of someone holding an unlit roll up.
  • frenchfighter
    thegibdog wrote:
    andy_welch wrote:
    Quite. Hilarious that so much should be made of a photograph of someone holding an unlit roll up.

This is the sun dont forget which I am pleased to say I have never bought and 'read' maybe twice. It is designed for people dumber than the people who write it which isnt saying much.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662
    Wiggo had a puff? So what?

Tim Henman apparently smoked occasionally I read somewhere? Yannick Noah sure did. Played stoned sometimes too. Some other tennis pro used to light up at change of ends, so the ATP introduced a specific rule against it.

And remember that blurry pic of Michael Phelps with a bong??

Not a laudable trait in anyone, but hardly a hanging offence.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

This is the sun dont forget which I am pleased to say I have never bought and 'read' maybe twice. It is designed for people dumber than the people who write it which isnt saying much.

It was also in the Mail. So it was trying to appeal to stupid people who like pictures of breasts, and racists who like pictures of breasts / Suri Cruise / tut and mumble about lack talent while staring at Rihanna's legs.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

It was also in the Mail. So it was trying to appeal to stupid people who like pictures of breasts, and racists who like pictures of breasts / Suri Cruise / tut and mumble about lack talent while staring at Rihanna's legs.

LOL. Sometimes I think the Mail is worse. The deliberately provocative articles, banality and Royal love that comes

I am not apologising if any of you on here read either of those papers but would recommend you take a leap and chose another one. The metro and evening standard have significantly more worth than those two (there are others also)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

LOL. Sometimes I think the Mail is worse. The deliberately provocative articles, banality and Royal love that comes

I am not apologising if any of you on here read either of those papers but would recommend you take a leap and chose another one. The metro and evening standard have significantly more worth than those two (there are others also)

At least the Sun is open about what it is, a paper for people who like to read about sex and scandals. The Mail is for people who like the same stuff but would never admit to it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • It's not exactly the end of the world is it? Almost to be expected really given his history. Give the guy a break.

I remember a brilliant photo of Canc celebrating his first PR win with a massive cocktail and a cigar, but can't seem to find it. Anyone know that? Be funny to see it again.
  • It was in Procycling

The cocktail had a sparkler in it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • That's right, I remember now. Must be one of the few memorable things from an issue (any issue) of Procycling.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    If I were Wiggins, I'd try to have fun with all this nonsense as much as possible (i.e. get snapped smoking a pipe whilst reading Tractor Monthly, or something) - the alternative is too bleak. Consider for a moment the dirty practical realities of those responsible for bringing stuff like this to the masses: unscrupulous photographer booked onto flight to Majorca to "coincide" with the Wiggins's family holiday (careful not to snap the kiddies, though - we've got standards to uphold!)... shadowing their every move... hanging about outside every venue, long into the night (hopefully), hoping for a shred of low-light grainy joy... w@nkers.

Can you tell that the current indictment of tabloid vermin for shady practices brings me a certain gratification?

I experienced some of this first-hand (unrelated to winning the Tour de France) in a different sphere, with red-top journalists finding out where I lived, pushing hand-written messages through the door, hanging about, phoning me, contacting friends, colleagues, etc.... all because they believed I had a low-level celebrity tittle-tattle story. W@nkers.

Trouble is, all that celebrity stuff is like exposed cleavage or @rse-crack: it's difficult for men and women alike not to stare at it (often with similar responses of delight and disgust).
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Looks like an electric woodbine to me.