Paralympics - Good luck Pokerface!

Comments

• 4th fastest... In for the Bronze ride off.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Surfr wrote:
    Not live on TV? WTF?

It's on the C4 Paralympics channel.

Caught it just in time.
    :)
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Exciting stuff... dilemma now, do I go into work as planned, or lounge on sofa and watch pokerface go for bronze?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Colin to ride for the bronze at about 3.55pm

Good luck Colin!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Colin's race on now - good luck, lad
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    He's up 1.24
  • LangerDan
    colin up at 1000m
  • sonny73
    Pulling a good lead out now. Up to 1.86 sec lead.
  • LangerDan
    Go ON
  • rick_chasey
    Disaster!
  • sonny73
    edited August 2012
    Ah man, so close!! Great riding from Pokerface though, great race. Bravo Thirionet. Still, Pokerface that was class.
  • LangerDan
    I think that French rider tends to start slow as he can only drive with one leg. Given that he was 2 seconds faster than Colin this morning and only 0.125 this afternoon, its unfortunate but not a disaster.

Anyway, roll on the road races
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Hard luck Pokerface - a gripping race.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dang. Good effort though. Chapeau Colin.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Indeed.

I meant the disaster as in - he was a good distance ahead and I looked back for the final lap and it'd all gone!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Indeed.

I meant the disaster as in - he was a good distance ahead and I looked back for the final lap and it'd all gone!
    Pacing is critical in this event. It can be a bastard if you go off to fast in first kilo, gain a second in first two laps on your schedule and you will loose two in last or penultimate lap, shame :-(
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Colin, we're all rooting for you!! GO MAN GO!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    And then you can come back and tell us if all those stories about sexually elite athletes in the village afterwards are true.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hey folks - thanks for the support.

Unfortunately, today was not my day. Wasn't a pacing issue. The noise in there was unbelievable - and couldn't hear my splits so we went to a system of 'walking the line' to tell me how far I was up.

I got a little complacent and let my foot off the gas and gave the other rider a chance to come back at me. Definitely had more in the tank - but my mental error cost me today.

Both rides today were well off my PB and even further off what I have been training at recently. However- credit to the medal winners - they all deserved to win.

Team Sprint for me on SUnday before focussing on my next real medal event - the TT on Wednesday.

Cheers all!

Colin
  • rick_chasey
    Always thought the toughest thing in the lympics generally was to put all that training to good use in such a tiny amount of time.

Smash 'em on the road ;).
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Always thought the toughest thing in the lympics generally was to put all that training to good use in such a tiny amount of time.

Toughest thing is to prepare for 4 events in the space of 2 weeks! You really have to target one and hope for the best in the others. Any other year you can focus on either track or road, but never both at the same time!
  • Pokerface wrote:

Toughest thing is to prepare for 4 events in the space of 2 weeks! You really have to target one and hope for the best in the others. Any other year you can focus on either track or road, but never both at the same time!

Best of luck Colin, everyone is rooting for you.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    New paralympic record for Ireland in the team sprint... but then it is a new event!
  • LangerDan
    Tusher wrote:
    And then you can come back and tell us if all those stories about sexually elite athletes in the village afterwards are true.
    "50 Shades of Grey" has obviously reached Scotland.....
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Hey! well done Colin and the rest of the Irish team! My family and I were there Sunday morning in the velodrome. A good Irish representation in the races and the crowd. I really like the new Irish kit, not so many shamrocks or celtic knots as before, must see if its for general sale.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    NervexProf wrote:
    Thanks for posting that.

So close, and so nearly a medal! Looking forward to a better result in Wednesday's time trial.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Simon E wrote:
    So close, and so nearly a medal! Looking forward to a better result in Wednesday's time trial.

11.28 start. Colin has the final 'Cancellara' slot and starts at 11.43.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Good luck Colin - smash it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
This discussion has been closed.