Tour de Wirral villages !

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    dodgy wrote:
    What happened to Vita in Irby then Dodgy? I went past on Saturday and they were closed at 10am

Been closed for some time, probably month or so. Couldnt make it work I think. Heard they were going online.

Gotcha. So much competition in the area - we're pretty spoilt for really good bike shops really.
  • AioxyJ
    AioxyJ Posts: 5
    So I don't suppose anyone would actually fancy a ride then?

Sat in work on night's wishing to be out on my bike! It's killing me!

Give me some blue sky and an open road anyday
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Keep an eye on this thread mate towards the end of the week, I can see something happening on sat maybe by the sounds of it. Send you a pm if I hear anything else.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Right, this is unbelieveable, I've never heard such nonsense on here. :evil: how on earth can the words 'Wirral' and 'hill' possibly be used in the same sentence!!! :lol:

Well done OP though, keep it up and you will be venturing out to some proper hills either to your west, or a little further to your east in no time!

PP
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Right, this is unbelieveable, I've never heard such nonsense on here. :evil: how on earth can the words 'Wirral' and 'hill' possibly be used in the same sentence!!! :lol:
    It's "Road Beginners", Pete.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Pilot Pete wrote:

Well done OP though, keep it up and you will be venturing out to some proper hills either to your west, or a little further to your east in no time!

PP

Are you saying that some of the Alp like mountains I have been climbing lately aren't really hills. :?

You obviously haven't seen the "Hill of death" yet then :mrgreen:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Wirral_paul
    Ringo 68 wrote:

Hill of death - where's that then mate?? :mrgreen::lol:
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 wrote:

Anything that is over half a mile long and over 5% gradient :wink: :oops:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Wirral_paul
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

Anything that is over half a mile long and over 5% gradient :wink: :oops:

LOL - that'll be in Wales then. :mrgreen:
  • AioxyJ
    AioxyJ Posts: 5
    There's only one "hill" I can think of over in the Wirral, just by Moreton...barely 3-400 meters long, but when you hit that after a good ride, I'd swear the air feels thinner at the top...

Must be just me?!

I'm blaming my fixed wheel bike if that's the case...
  • dodgy
    Nope, there are plenty of hills on the Wirral, plenty that would have a group split up if one of the pack put an effort in, and plenty that would have the slower riders in the group spat out the back.

Most of these are on the hillier western side of the peninsula.

If you doubt me, go ride this tonight http://goo.gl/maps/RkcqF
  • Ringo 68
    My last ride around the wirral was 42 miles and had about 1600 feet of climbing.

I don't know how hilly this would be for for some of the more experienced riders on here but to me it felt like a good workout.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • dodgy
    Yep, pretty easy to accumulate decent ratio of feet climbed to miles ridden on the Wirral, you just need to think about the ride first.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Plenty of hills.
    New Brighton - Portland to the top - just mind the junctions.
    West Kirby - Black Horse, Telegraph Road, Ring of Bells
    Thurstaston Hill
    Bidston Hill - a few ways up there
    Road up from Birkenhead Central Station. (man thats tough)
    Parkgate climb - Boathouse Lane or the other way to Neston
    Ness Marshes up to Ness Gardens
    Montgomery Hill by Caldy
    Climb to the viewpoint in Caldy

And thats just off the top of my head.
  • I only found out about this today but there is an anniversary ride from the eureka cafe - 50 or 83 miles i think - on the 9th of september. Cant find anything about it other than on twitter the eureka saying that the forms have been sent out. Could be a good day out.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wirral_paul
    I only found out about this today but there is an anniversary ride from the eureka cafe - 50 or 83 miles i think - on the 9th of september. Cant find anything about it other than on twitter the eureka saying that the forms have been sent out. Could be a good day out.

Fancy doing it Cleat?? I can pick up a form for you if you like. Forms to be returned by 2nd September to the cafe. I cant remember the route but last year headed into N Wales and ended up at Llyn Brenig before the return home.
  • dodgy
    Yeah, they do it every year, each year gets one mile longer, this year the cafe is 83 years old. Last year they suddenly made the ride a real challenge, not sure about this year.
  • Yup, they are making it harder this year, think it goes over the shelf, Brenig etc. Theres plenty of clubs in the Wirral to join, if your gonna get experienced its proberly better to join a club that has experienced people in, so you can be guided by experience, the Port Sunlight Wheelers are a excellent bunch
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Wirral_paul
    Well tomorrow after midday is looking favourite for a ride out it seems - given the weather forecast for a little bit of rain tonight!
  • I only found out about this today but there is an anniversary ride from the eureka cafe - 50 or 83 miles i think - on the 9th of september. Cant find anything about it other than on twitter the eureka saying that the forms have been sent out. Could be a good day out.

Fancy doing it Cleat?? I can pick up a form for you if you like. Forms to be returned by 2nd September to the cafe. I cant remember the route but last year headed into N Wales and ended up at Llyn Brenig before the return home.

Cheers for that Paul, I downloaded one from the liverpool merc site - looks a good ride - cheap too - seems theyre making harder by the years.

Reading the posts on the Merc forum it seems theres a bit of bad feeling between them and the eureka. :roll:

Are any wirralonians doing it.?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ringo 68
    Well tomorrow after midday is looking favourite for a ride out it seems - given the weather forecast for a little bit of rain tonight!

As near to 12 as possible (or earlier) would be best for me. I have promised my better half a ride down the WW tomorrow.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Wirral_paul
    Cheers for that Paul, I downloaded one from the liverpool merc site - looks a good ride - cheap too - seems theyre making harder by the years.

Reading the posts on the Merc forum it seems theres a bit of bad feeling between them and the eureka. :roll:

Are any wirralonians doing it.?

Well my club Port Sunlight Wheelers are riding it - so keep an eye out and say hello if you see me on a Moda Stretto with carbon wheels.

I was just looking at the Merc forum after you posted here Cleat and to be honest i've not heard of any bad feelings at all. Often see plenty of Merc members at the cafe anyway. All i've see on the Merc website is one guy moaning about the £12 entry fee, but then saying about doing the Etape Cymru without paying!!

Maybe i'm reading it wrong?
  • Wirral_paul
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    As near to 12 as possible (or earlier) would be best for me. I have promised my better half a ride down the WW tomorrow.

Where on the Wirral are you Ringo? I met Tony last weekend by the Clatterbridge Hospital / Drayton Motors roundabout
  • Ringo 68
    I'm in bromborough so no problem to get to the roundabout Paul.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Wirral_paul
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    I'm in bromborough so no problem to get to the roundabout Paul.

Sounds like a plan then - 12 noon by the end of Old Clatterbridge Rd opposite Drayton Motors? I'll text Tony now.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=old+clatterbridge+road&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487ad8bdc1a8b08f:0x3d33b0b38c03fa0,Old+Clatterbridge+Rd,+Birkenhead,+Merseyside+CH63&gl=uk&ei=aqYuUMqMHeGa1AX_tIDwDA&ved=0CAYQ8gEwAA
  • Ringo 68
    See you at 12.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Sorry chaps can't make it tommorow,then im on 3 twelve hour shifts, but then off for 4 days,so won't be out till Wednesday at the earliest. :( Toe knee. Have a good ride lads,go back on the posts and see who else wants to go ? :D
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    I used to ride with my cousin. I'd set out from West Kirby, he came from Bebington. We'd meet up on the Chester Road and we'd ride over to Wales and Moel Famau. There's a bit of a ( very long) hill as you leave Queensferry. We'd leave our bikes at the foot of Moel Famau and run to the top! If you've got a decent bike probably worth slinging it over your shoulder and sprinting up there cyclocross style.
    Those were the days!
    The Wirral is of course to Birkenhead North End CC and Chris Boardman. Roads are mad busy these days but still quieter than a lot of places.
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    Ive finally got my self sorted out with a bike now, picked up some new pedals off Colin at Wheelbase this afternoon and he kindly put up with my daughter trying to take his shop apart while I waffled to him!
    A couple of weeks to get used to the bike and put some miles on it then I'll have to come out with y'all :D
  • Wirral_paul
    Met up with Ringo 68 today and had a ride out through the lanes to Chester and back via the Dee path to Shotton and then back onto the Wirral. A good ride out at a pretty gentle pace so we could chat pretty much all the way around. Probably 35 miles or so together, with a few extra for me to the meet up and ride home.

Here's the full route anyway (from Clatterbridge and back to Bromborough where Ringo lives for the "official" miles)

http://app.strava.com/rides/18922178