Tour de Wirral villages !

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Had my road bike a month now , and today did my first 15 miler around some Wirral villages,
Willaston,burton,ness,Neston,back to willaston,to be honest I'm over the moon considering ther are some nice hills included that I couldnt have walked up 12 months ago never mind cycle up, but I did and felt great after it.
My thanks to Wirral _paul who offered to ride with me, and showed me some road riding skills that has given me great confidence. Bring on the 20 miles next ! ! :D

Tony.

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Nice one.

I do the same sort of route and always ride along the front at Parkgate, though so far I have managed to resist stopping for an ice cream.

Did you try the Denhall Lane climb?

The first time I went up it earlier in the year I pulled over to the side of the road to get off. I thought sod it, I will never get back on my bike if I do, so I carried on to the top.

Now I love going up it.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Glad you enjoyed it Tony. You'll keep improving rapidly i'm sure, and as you say - getting that confidence is so important. 20 miles will be upon you in no time i'm sure (then 25 and 30)

No Denhall Lane climb today Ringo. I wasnt going to be cruel on the first time out on some of the more lumpy roads. A nice run down through Willaston, Burton, Ness and Neston, then Leighton Rd, up The Runnel to the High Rd and then Parkgate Lane to Thornton Hough. Down the lanes to Raby then back to the start near the Clatterbridge Hospital.

Lovely and sunny on the Wirral today anyway - over 70degC by the end too
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    over 70degC by the end too

Wouldn't that melt the road?
  • Ringo 68
    Thats a nice ride, I might even go out this evening and do the same.

A nice stop off at The Thatch for a a swift half (or two) is just too tempting. Got to make the most of this weather.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Wirral_paul
    Ringo 68 wrote:

A nice stop off at The Thatch for a a swift half (or two) is just too tempting. Got to make the most of this weather.

Went right past there - its our club monthly meet venue so verrrry tempting!
  • Wirral_paul
    karlth wrote:

Its the Wirral peninsula - it doesnt get that warm very often up here so big news! :lol:
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 wrote:

Went right past there - its our club monthly meet venue so verrrry tempting!

Yeah, I went to one of those meetings before I went away on holiday.

You never know, in a few Sundays time you might end up waiting for me at the top of every climb :mrgreen:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    karlth wrote:

Its the Wirral peninsula - it doesnt get that warm very often up here so big news! :lol:

I doubt it ever gets that warm - it's only 22 this side of the pennines. ;)

(hint - C is on the bottom row of the keyboard, F on the middle...)
  • Good ride that neck of the woods I did a 35 miler the day before yesterday including this area.

Denhall lane is a great climb and your unlikely to have a car impatiently behind you either. Here is my 2 efforts of Denhall lane the 1st one I felt like stopping the second felt much easier!

http://app.strava.com/rides/15273673#285161309

http://app.strava.com/rides/16049281#297516227

Although only a couple of seconds quicker I wasn't blowing any where near as hard.
  • Well done Tony keep it up before long you will be going further and further for sure. Ringo how the hell can you resist an ice cream from Parkgate they are the best lol :D As for stopping off for a swift half the Harp is a good place to stop at the bottom of Marshlands Road in Little Neston, I can't ride in that area without paying a visit there :wink:
    On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    its best to ride fast through Neston- if they catch you youll end up in a wicker man. :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Wirral_paul
    karlth wrote:
    karlth wrote:

I doubt it ever gets that warm - it's only 22 this side of the pennines. ;)

(hint - C is on the bottom row of the keyboard, F on the middle...)

:mrgreen::mrgreen: Oops!! Yes it rarely gets to 70degF here either!! :)
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    Well done to you!

Ive not ridden seriously for about 10 years, so my last 10 miler nearly crucified me!!
    Only went from Upton, through to West Kirby, along to Moreton and back and I was goosed!
    I still havent bought a 'proper' bike yet. I'm on my mtb with slicks on and the forks locked out :( But, picking up a used Cube Aerial in the week hopefully so I should be able to get up black horse hill without blowing hopefully!!
  • Toe knee
    Thanks for all the replies people.

Think all of us should create a Wirral crew and go out together sometime ?
  • AioxyJ
    AioxyJ Posts: 5
    As my first post on this forum, I'd love to say that I'd definitely be interested in joining up with a few of you for a ride around the Wirral!

I hope us kirkby lads are welcome! :-)
  • Toe knee
    Morning all,

Just been reflecting on my ride again, and a thought came to me concerning road riding.

As I have said I got a big confidence boost yesterday going out with someone who is experienced on the roads, I learnt better road positioning, the hand signals and shouts associated with club riding...etc.

This has got me thinking,because I would guess there are many people who were in my position before yesterday,
    Eg. Where do I ride,what road position do I adopt,don't much like going out on my own as I am new to road riding,not looking forward to getting a puncture while out on my own..etc.

So I thought of this, what if some more experienced riders were to set up a road learning / pre club joining group.
    Doesn't matter what bike/clothes you have , you want to gain experience on the road before you take the plunge of joining a club.

If you went out with this newbie/pre Club , you could learn the basic road skills and signals/ shouts, until you were confident enough to join a club, this would also help clubs as you would join better equipped rather than starting from scratch with the club.
    I would also imagine more people would keep it up aswell after this training.

Just a thought . Tony
  • davecara
    Id certainly be interested in something like that!
    At my level of fitness, I might be better joining a walking club though! :lol:
  • Ringo 68
    Toe knee wrote:
    Morning all,

Just been reflecting on my ride again, and a thought came to me concerning road riding.

As I have said I got a big confidence boost yesterday going out with someone who is experienced on the roads, I learnt better road positioning, the hand signals and shouts associated with club riding...etc.

This has got me thinking,because I would guess there are many people who were in my position before yesterday,
    Eg. Where do I ride,what road position do I adopt,don't much like going out on my own as I am new to road riding,not looking forward to getting a puncture while out on my own..etc.

So I thought of this, what if some more experienced riders were to set up a road learning / pre club joining group.
    Doesn't matter what bike/clothes you have , you want to gain experience on the road before you take the plunge of joining a club.

If you went out with this newbie/pre Club , you could learn the basic road skills and signals/ shouts, until you were confident enough to join a club, this would also help clubs as you would join better equipped rather than starting from scratch with the club.

Just a thought . Tony

I think a lot of clubs have a novice/beginners ride every so often to introduce the idea of riding in a group.
    I haven't found a Wirral club that does this though. It is a case of straight in at the deep end and this is why I have been trying to build up my fitness levels before taking the plunge.

I would be up for a ride some time if anyone fancies it. I wouldn't class myself as a total novice anymore having done 2000 miles in the last 10 months but I am a complete novice when it comes to riding in a group.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee wrote:
    Morning all,

Just a thought . Tony
  • An excellent idea Tony and clearly you've got a few interested already. I live in Great Sutton, so a bit further 'in land' than most of those replying here, but if you venture down towards Parkgate/Burton again I'd be interested in meeting up for part of the ride. I've ridden those Burton hills and managed to make it back up Denhall Lane in one piece, although I admit to needing to stop for a rest at the top. Of course from Burton, you're a stones throw from the Eureka cafe at Two Mills which is definitely worth a look on a Sunday morning... if you can find a space for your bike that is :)
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • Id be up for a ride.I ride all around the wirral.
  • You'll need special helmets to cover your pointy heads. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wirral_paul
    Weather doesnt look too bad for Saturday if anyone fancies a gentle run around the Wirral lanes. Maybe Tony needs to go for a 20 miles record this time? ;)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    There's a new club on the Wirral, especially suited to newish riders, http://palefishbikes.blogspot.co.uk/ for more info, or he's on twitter @palefish

They do regular midweek rides (19:30 at the 12th Man) and also weekend rides.
  • davecara
    I only live over the road from the 12th too! Might have to wander over and have a looksie
  • Wirral_paul
    Now that sounds like a great option for many newcomers if Chris (Palefish) already has something set up. I live right by the beach in Hoylake myself- only 10 or 15 mins away from the 12th Man, so may have to pop along too
  • dodgy
    Davecara wrote:
    I only live over the road from the 12th too! Might have to wander over and have a looksie

Very friendly bunch, the club was brought together specifically to cater for novices. Give 'em a try!
  • Wirral_paul
    What happened to Vita in Irby then Dodgy? I went past on Saturday and they were closed at 10am
  • Ringo 68
    Weather doesnt look too bad for Saturday if anyone fancies a gentle run around the Wirral lanes. Maybe Tony needs to go for a 20 miles record this time? ;)

I'd be up for it, weather and missus permitting.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • dodgy
    What happened to Vita in Irby then Dodgy? I went past on Saturday and they were closed at 10am

Been closed for some time, probably month or so. Couldnt make it work I think. Heard they were going online.