olympic mtb course your view?

123457»

Comments

• lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Is it now open to the public?

What have they done or have the left it as it was? Might have to take a trip down!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I believe you can ride it but only when accompanied with a guide.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Whos racing there this weekend then?

Yes, I'm turning up for a pedal round, not sure I can really call it racing.

Have they made any changes yet, or is it totally 'as was'?
  • Local news said open to public March 2014 .
  • njee20
    Which presumably means they've not made any changes yet. Wonder which part I'll leave most skin on :?
  • Apparently 5 miles of track , different levels .
  • njee20
    Well it was a 3 mile lap, unchanged from the Oylimpics, with a couple of new B lines added to the grass.

It's pretty lairy frankly, there were lots of big crashes, I heard of a broken collar bone and a fractured pelvis. Plenty of folk covered in road rash!

Pleased to say I didn't crash. Not pleased to say I wimped out on a couple of A lines for self preservation reasons.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Road rash?
    Pah, stupid XC course, they're even paving over them now, BAH, PAH, PAH,

BAH! I say
  • njee20
    Well y'know - rock rash! They went through a lot of iodine spray and mepore dressings for sure!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    njee20 wrote:
    Well it was a 3 mile lap, unchanged from the Oylimpics, with a couple of new B lines added to the grass.

It's pretty lairy frankly, there were lots of big crashes, I heard of a broken collar bone and a fractured pelvis. Plenty of folk covered in road rash!

Pleased to say I didn't crash. Not pleased to say I wimped out on a couple of A lines for self preservation reasons.

Well done, I've heard from a couple of sources that some of the rock garden sections are way more scary than they look on 'telly.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    Aye, and frankly scarier than they looked watching the pros riding them last year in the flesh too!
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Great course, I enjoyed it hugely, despite bonking big time in my race on Sunday... a few things about it though... I deliberately didn't do too much research on it before hand, there was enough stories and scaremongering going round so I just tried to ignore it.

We rocked up on sat and followed one of my elite mates round on a sighting lap, he'd ridden it a few times last year, we basically just did what he did - which was all the A lines, this was great as I just did them without thinking rather than a lot of guys who were freaking themselves (and others) out by standing around peering over stuff.

The features are pretty hardcore, far from easy, the course was made to test world class riders and it shows, I elected to miss some of the gnarlier lines in the race itself as I didn't think the penalty on the B line was big enough to make that much difference and it was gonna hurt if you got it wrong.

The thing that makes a hard course even harder is riding it at race pace for 90 minutes, you think you're a Jedi? try beasting yourself round there at 90%+ and the climbing! lots of technical awkward stiff climbs to sap your battered body, tiredness, taking risks and mistakes are all punished, in a lot of cases by a trip to A&E.

Overall, I enjoyed it and i'm glad I got to race on it in its full Olympic glory... I have even more respect now for the world class guys.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Where's waylander to tell us all that it was actually really easy? :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    edited August 2013
    I'm looking forward to racing on it end of next month, I know my limits and can't see myself doing to much of the A lines. I'm just going to enjoy it for the experience more than anything else.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    njee20 wrote:

Well done, I've heard from a couple of sources that some of the rock garden sections are way more scary than they look on 'telly.

I had a ticket at the Olympics. It's a good job it didn't rain on the day, the rock sections looked like you could break your neck falling awkwardly. Most mountain bike riders,including me, wouldn't have the skill or nerve on the harder sections.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    From facebook MSG
    I'm not sure if you have any idea how many broken bones we had over this weekend with a national quality field Scott, but I gave up counting at 7 collar bones, one wrist, two dislocated fingers, one dislocated shoulder, copious stitches etc.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    As said above, you can add a pelvis to that too - a friend of mine, and decent elite rider!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    yeah i read that too, must say i'm a little nervous about racing there in the MSG but io know it will be dumbed down a lot for that
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    njee20 wrote:
    As said above, you can add a pelvis to that too - a friend of mine, and decent elite rider!
    Pfft, bunch of pansy jayboys what can't ride.

:wink::lol:
  • njee20
    Well yeah, basically! Took a tumble on the rock garden in practice, had he been better he'd probably have got away with it, so you can have that ;-)