olympic mtb course your view?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Yep, meant Tubular - My bad

How many use tubless too though....

(what's the balance between tubed, tubeless and tubs basically)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    ddraver wrote:
    Yep, meant Tubular - My bad

How many use tubless too though....

I'm farked if I know!? Most would be tubeless wouldn't they?
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Oh wow, I see what you mean. In that case, neither did I!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think they all have icetubs afterwards.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    I think they all have icetubs afterwards.

Whilst listening to Tubular Bells?
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Chunkers1980
    Nope, that's not Underground enough.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    kona_matt wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    They've already announced a Junior event for the first weekend in October.

2nd time I've read that, what is this? The junior nat champ was crowned with all the others at Wasing, not aware of anything else going on!

Not entirely sure yet. I've heard via the Hadleigh MTB Club that there's gonna be a junior event and they want us to marshall. That's all I know.
    Glenn Horton
    It gives me great pleasure we have been asked to provide volunteer marshal support for the British cycling under 16 youth inter-regional mountain bike championships at the olympic course on the weekend 6th/7th October.
    More details to follow....
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Wow this post has really taken off good input guys n girls
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    miss notax wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

Brilliant photos :D

We were actually away on holiday last weekend and therefore missed all the MTBing and BMXing (gutting :( ) - keep on meaning to track down some of the coverage on You Tube or whatever!

it's all on the bbc sport website if you can find your way through the labrynth of menus
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    I went on Sunday to the mens race with my girlfriend. It was a great day and extremely well organised. The only que was for water but if you picked your moment it wasn't too bad.

I thought the course was great, mostly open so you could see lots of what was going on and certainly technical enough. I'd say more technical than any red trail I'd ridden, more similar to Llandegla black bits or that bit of black at Afan. The only difference was the technical sections weren't as long as trails centres and were wider with more lines rather than single track... but it is a race course so they need passing opportunities to make a proper race of it.

I have to say, I consider my self pretty quick on a bike, but the power they were kicking out, especially on the short sprint climbs was incredible.

I got the shuttle from the parking which worked very well.

All in all a great day. I'd definitely go and watch at Dalby now if it was closer and I'm thinking of entering some xc races after nearly doing so last year.
    It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    kona_matt wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    How many (pro) people use Tubeless Tires do you reckon?

Before just now I had no idea mtb tubs were available!
    Not tubs, tubeless.

According to the link, Annie's tyres were tubs, not tubeless. Chris Boardman was wittering on about tubs for mountain bikes.............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • YeehaaMcgee
    natrix wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    How many (pro) people use Tubeless Tires do you reckon?

Before just now I had no idea mtb tubs were available!
    Not tubs, tubeless.

According to the link, Annie's tyres were tubs, not tubeless. Chris Boardman was wittering on about tubs for mountain bikes.............
    Oh DO keep up, man.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    ddraver wrote:

Tubed - you have an inner tube

Tubeless - there's no inner tube, they seal on your rims like a car tyre does

Tubs - instead of being a 'n' shape in cross section (like tubed and tubeless tyres) they are an 'o' shape and are glued onto the rims.

Tubs have traditionally only been used on the road, but have now started to be used on mtbs.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Chunkers1980
    Isn't it Tubular??

I had some MTB ones in the late 90's - where rubbish, as they had a slow puncture and had to be glued to the rims. Only really any good as race wheels.
  • Chunkers1980
    Actually it was the mid 90s
  • ddraver
    natrix wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Tubed - you have an inner tube

Tubeless - there's no inner tube, they seal on your rims like a car tyre does

Tubs - instead of being a 'n' shape in cross section (like tubed and tubeless tyres) they are an 'o' shape and are glued onto the rims.

Tubs have traditionally only been used on the road, but have now started to be used on mtbs.

Yeah I know what they are, I was wondering what the balance among pro riders is...usually on the road the point is to use them at higher pressure to reduce rolling resistance - but that would nt apply to MTBers...
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tubulars/tubs/tubbies, all the same thing. Been quite big for racing for a few years now. I'd be interested to try some, can see the benefits on the road, but not on the MTB (the converse of tubeless on the road frankly).

They're meant to give better grip at lower pressure, no risk of burping like tubeless etc.

But the rims are only lighter if you spend daft money, and then the tyres generally weigh more. A Racing Ralph tub is 'only' £65 or so, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to try some out.

Saw one of the Cypriot riders on a flat tub, riding on the rim down one of the rocky descents, on an AX-Lightness rim, safe to assume he wasn't responsible for the cost of replacement :shock:

As for the field as a whole I'd be surprised if more then 10% were on tubes, if that, I reckon 30% on tubs, the balance on tubeless.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Njee, what are the supposed advantages of tubs for road use?
  • njee20
    They can take higher pressures (up to and beyond 180psi if you really want), rims are far lighter, they roll and handle better (being more round, although a decent clincher is close these days) and you can ride on them when flat with less risk of the tyre rolling off.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, how are the rims lighter then?
  • Chunkers1980
    I'd think it's because they don't have the pressure pushing outwards, hence why some rims have a max PSI,
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Partly I guess because they don't need the bit that grips the bead.
    carbon-20mm-wheels-road-bicycle-700c-tubular-430x283.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    They re also a different design which I thnk can be desinged lighter as it is just a flat curved surface, it does nt need a bead to fit the tyre on etc. It makes even more sense with carbon rims, and even even more when you start using aero rims

Notably Johan van Summeran rode the last 10-15km to win Paris-Roubaix with a flat Tubular Tyre last year.

Edit - What cooldad said...
    - @ddraver
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Partly I guess because they don't need the bit that grips the bead.
    carbon-20mm-wheels-road-bicycle-700c-tubular-430x283.jpg
    Ah, I see. I couldn't quite picture the shape of a rim for tubular tyres - I've been checking Sheldon Brown, but there's no images to depict it.
    cheers.
  • lawman wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    After all that it was won on a full susser.
    And a Specialized at that. Thousands of Audi owners are burning their Santaibisetc5's.

No, no, no, Audi drivers are far too boring to riding proper bikes... hence why they all ride specialized

Conforming to stereotypes since 1978 ....

2012-06-23112518.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The XC World Cups they ahve talked a lot about tubs/tubular tyres being used - I think quite a few had them at Wyndham.

Matt - nice photos - they show how big those rock gardens were - some of those sections would give you pause to think before tackling!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ah, I see. I couldn't quite picture the shape of a rim for tubular tyres - I've been checking Sheldon Brown, but there's no images to depict it.
    Such things would have offended his beard.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    What, tubular rims? Pictures?
    He has (had!) both things on his site, but not specifically pictures of tubular rims.
  • njee20
    Aye the weight difference is more pronounced on road rims too, as the tub rims can be a very light construction, whilst clinchers need a lot of reinforcement to support the tyre bead at high pressure.

It's the opposite on the MTB - rims need to be tougher, and the bead hook doesn't need to be as strong. It's why I don't quite get it myself, but would like to try some!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881

Glenn Horton

18 August 22:20

Interested in riding the Olympic MTB course before the Adaptations?
    If your experienced in riding minimum black graded trail centres or have qualifications in guiding/leadership.send an email of riding experience & interest to; london2012@essex.gov.uk
    More info check out essexlegacy.org.uk
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty