olympic mtb course your view?

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    For him to of fixed the puncture and returned to the race, he would of been so far out of contention for a podium, it wouldnt of been worth it.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    For him to of fixed the puncture and returned to the race, he would have been so far out of contention for a podium, it wouldnt of been worth it.

That's what I'm saying. If a new wheel had been available straight away, he could have been on his way immediately. I just want to know why that's not approved of?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because it's not the Tour de sodding France.
    You might also have noticed they didn't have a fleet of Skodas cruising around the velodrome.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    wheezee wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    For him to of fixed the puncture and returned to the race, he would have been so far out of contention for a podium, it wouldnt of been worth it.

That's what I'm saying. If a new wheel had been available straight away, he could have been on his way immediately. I just want to know why that's not approved of?
    Because it's a test of man and machine. The riders have to be self-sufficient, apart from one paddock-like area.
  • wheezee
    cooldad wrote:
    You might also have noticed they didn't have a fleet of Skodas cruising around the velodrome.

Why so angry?

Besides, the track racing was all short races. The one long race allowed the rider to take 5 laps to fix his bike.
  • wheezee
    wheezee wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Because it's a test of man and machine. The riders have to be self-sufficient, apart from one paddock-like area.

OK. I guess that makes sense.

Shame not to see all the top guys fighting it out at the end. It was a great race, though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    wheezee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Why so angry?

Besides, the track racing was all short races. The one long race allowed the rider to take 5 laps to fix his bike.
    What makes you assume I am angry? I am always happy, and the drugs have nothing to do with it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    He probably knows how to fix a puncture, if not as quickly as you, but he had to throw in the towel.

He was already down in the 20s before he punctured, he wasn't going to win, the puncture was the final straw I'd say.
  • wheezee
    I'm sure you're right.

He said he suspected he had a slow puncture from the start but wasn't convinced, so I guess by the time it took to be sure, there was no coming back. Something of an irony that he had some tyres especially developed to suit this particular course.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    wheezee wrote:
    Something of an irony that he had some tyres especially developed to suit this particular course.
    Really :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    His tyres were made of iron?
    No wonder he didn't win.
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    Long time no chat guys, thought I'd drop in and see what was being said about the Olympics.

Anywho, I was there on Saturday and it was bloody fantastic. The event ran like clockwork apart from the queues getting water. The site is brilliant for watching a race with it being easy to get around and see the riders at different points on the course. In response to some of the previous comments, the technical sections are way tougher than any red trail I've ridden in the UK (I've ridden most of the trail centres).

And as for the manicured nature of the track, yes, it's unfortunate but from what I've heard, the course builders did wanted to get groups of riders in there riding it before the games to bed it in and make it a bit more natural. LOCOG weren't having it though which when you think of all the security concerns surrounding these games it's no all that surprising.

Having this a few miles from my door is bloody exciting to be honest. Can't wait to get to the top of those tech sections, crap my pants and take the chicken run instead!

Here are my photos if you're interested.

http://www.matthewlongphotography.co.uk/#/blog/4557520307/2012-Olympics---Women's-Mountain-Biking/3212136
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Lovely Pics Matt! Love the clsoe up of Annie Last. Does anyone know what tyres she was on?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wheezee
    edited August 2012
    Excellent photos.

The TV pictures made it look (to me) like there was loads of room around the course, and plenty of empty fence sections . Do you think they could've fitted more people in?

I'm still disappointed I didn't get a ticket.
  • kona_matt
    ddraver wrote:
    Lovely Pics Matt! Love the clsoe up of Annie Last. Does anyone know what tyres she was on?
    Thanks man, was pretty pleased with some of my shots of Annie, would have loved to have got closer.
  • kona_matt
    wheezee wrote:
    Excellent photos.

The TV pictures made it look (to me) like there was loads of room around the course, and plenty of empty fence sections . Do you think they could've fitted more people in?

I'm still disappointed I didn't get a ticket.
    Thank you. There was room for more people within the site, especially at the less tech sections, but I think it's not as simple as that. I didn't see how the trains and shuttle bus system worked out (I rode there of course) but I'd have though tthey were busy and getting everyone out of the site did take some time. Those sort of logistical issues probably heavily influenced the ticket numbers. The fact there was room for people to move around and see the race from different vantage points really made the day, especially for a photographer's point of view! People tended to watch the riders for a lap in one place then move on giving everyone a chance to get to the front. All worked really nicely unlike the road race in surrey where people got their spot by the road and wouldn't give it up for love nor money!
  • wheezee
    Ah. Right. Fair enough.

I'll get over it in time, I expect. Sigh.
  • kona_matt
    ddraver wrote:

Annie's tyres - Dugast Fast Birds! Quite appropriate!
    http://www.a-dugast.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=35&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&lang=en
  • kona_matt
    wheezee wrote:
    Ah. Right. Fair enough.

Hopefully we'll get a world cup round there one day. They've already announced a Junior event for the first weekend in October.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They've already announced a Junior event for the first weekend in October.

2nd time I've read that, what is this? The junior nat champ was crowned with all the others at Wasing, not aware of anything else going on!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    kona_matt wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

http://www.a-dugast.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=35&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&lang=en

102 bucks!! Flipping nora!

How many (pro) people use Tubeless Tires do you reckon?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wheezee
    kona_matt wrote:
    wheezee wrote:
    Ah. Right. Fair enough.

Hopefully we'll get a world cup round there one day. They've already announced a Junior event for the first weekend in October.

I think I heard them say that it won't be open to the public for a year, and when it is, all the big features will have been removed. I guess it makes sense to hold as many competitions there as possible before it it's made "safe" for the rest of us.
  • kona_matt
    njee20 wrote:
    They've already announced a Junior event for the first weekend in October.

2nd time I've read that, what is this? The junior nat champ was crowned with all the others at Wasing, not aware of anything else going on!

Not entirely sure yet. I've heard via the Hadleigh MTB Club that there's gonna be a junior event and they want us to marshall. That's all I know.
  • kona_matt
    ddraver wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

102 bucks!! Flipping nora!

Before just now I had no idea mtb tubs were available!
  • kona_matt
    wheezee wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    wheezee wrote:
    Ah. Right. Fair enough.

I think I heard them say that it won't be open to the public for a year, and when it is, all the big features will have been removed. I guess it makes sense to hold as many competitions there as possible before it it's made "safe" for the rest of us.

Yeah, word is it's gonna be a year before public access but I'm hoping the club might get a chance before then. Hoping...
  • YeehaaMcgee
    kona_matt wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Not tubs, tubeless.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    kona_matt wrote:

Brilliant photos :D

We were actually away on holiday last weekend and therefore missed all the MTBing and BMXing (gutting :( ) - keep on meaning to track down some of the coverage on You Tube or whatever!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Not tubs, tubeless.

Oh, misread the question. The Dugast Fast Birds are tubular tyres though.
  • kona_matt
    miss notax wrote:
    Brilliant photos :D

Thanks very much.