In light of the Helmet argument (The most recent one)

13»

Comments

• I don't wear one and haven't since my early teenage years. Currently I simply wear my Walz cap.

But if I had the cash (to buy a decent one), I would, and I think I will.

I'm satisfied that wearing one could give me some (mainly) superficial protection that I otherwise wouldn't have, I'm neither dissuaded by the price that one costs nor the discomfort of wearing one, and I'm not sufficiently convinced that wearing one could have a negative effect.

That and I intend to do some racing at some point.

But I don't think that compulsory helmet-wearing will solve anything. With that said I disagree just as vehemently with the anti-helmet militia. No-one cares to read your pseudo-evangelical berating of innocent helmet wearers as it is, but that helmets are compulsory in many cycling disciplines is sufficient for you to curtail your views at explaining why you choose not to wear one.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    P_Tucker wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    It is annoying the quote function thing, it doesn't seem to work on my iPad. None the less, you still manage to come a cross on this forum as a deeply troubled, unpleasant, insidious little man. Your family must be proud of you.

You say "come across" like its not an accurate reflection of my personality. Also, "nonetheless" is one word. Hope this helps

Thanks for the grammar help, I am always willing to learn. You on the other hand will always be you, such a shame.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    p9uma wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    It is annoying the quote function thing, it doesn't seem to work on my iPad. None the less, you still manage to come a cross on this forum as a deeply troubled, unpleasant, insidious little man. Your family must be proud of you.

You say "come across" like its not an accurate reflection of my personality. Also, "nonetheless" is one word. Hope this helps

Thanks for the grammar help, I am always willing to learn. You on the other hand will always be you, such a shame.
    dont feed the trolls :D
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Wear a helmet, 50% of the time it works every time.
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    I wear mine cos it looks menacing.

Also if someone pisses you off it's much nicer to head butt them with a helmet on.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I just rode without a helmet and didn't die. This is proof that helmets have no benefit :lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I just rode without a helmet and didn't die. This is proof that helmets have no benefit :lol:
    Ah yes - but if you have a yellow one it helps you climb the hill faster ...
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Helmets rock on bad hair days.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    As a professional driver I spend enough time on the road and see enough 2-wheeled casualties at the side of it (I include motorcyclists in this sentiment) and funnily enough the ones with the proper gear on (helmet ((both)), leathers etc for m/cyclists) seem to be the ones who walk or ride away from any mishaps.

Compelling evidence. Now, as a professional driver you'll know that the number one cause of death in car crashes is head injury. Do you wear a helmet when you're driving?

Both my personal car and the bus which I drive go through stringent safety tests (I am particularly thinking of the SVA tests as well as NCAP) and have all sorts of equipment to try and limit all types of injury in a collision. I don't have this luxury on my bike.

FWIW I don't agree with compulsion.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.